Finally getting somewhere!

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to my Diabetes clinic yesterday and I think I'm almost getting somewhere. So long story short. Usually wake up on levels of around 6.0 then at dinner have shot up to around 20.0 even without eating breakfast. Tried increasing Lantus which didn't work, spoke to my doctor and I have actually stumped them the only thing they can think for me to do is test mid morning and do some fast acting insulin to stop me going high. They are doing a 3 day cgms test in the new year some time and they will review my results with me if my results are still not good they will finally consider giving me a pump. I have asked for one before but they've always said no. On a plus note my HbA1c was 6.9% gosh knows how I do it. One thing I'd like to know is what will the cgms testing involve, my doctor gave me a basic outline of what happens but I'd like to hear from some of you guys what can I expect to happen during this process? I had never heard of a cgms test before until my doctor suggested it.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Nicola, a CGM is a continuous glucose monitor. All that happens is that a sensor is fitted under your skin (painless) and it monitors your readings whilst it is in you. This way your team can see exactly what is happening blood sugar wise.

Have you tried eating breakfast to see if that stops your blood sugar rise? If a low carber have some scrambled eggs or kippers instead of the normal! breakfasts.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicola, a CGM is a continuous glucose monitor. All that happens is that a sensor is fitted under your skin (painless) and it monitors your readings whilst it is in you. This way your team can see exactly what is happening blood sugar wise.

Have you tried eating breakfast to see if that stops your blood sugar rise? If a low carber have some scrambled eggs or kippers instead of the normal! breakfasts.

When I eat breakfast it does make my blood sugars stay more in range. But the problem is when I wake up early and try to eat any kind of breakfast it makes me feel so sick for the rest of the day. I do want to have breakfast but I hate feeling sick for hours afterwards :(

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nicola,

I was fitted with a CGM a while back as the consultant was convinced I was always having hypos. Turns out I wasn't and was just really good at controlling things.

One thing that I did was each time I took one of my regular checks I noted down the exact time and took that along when they downloaded the data as they use that to help calibrate the results better.

So if you are already keeping a log of your BG results just make sure you take down the time of them too and take it along with you when the remove the sensor and download the results.

/A

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I eat breakfast it does make my blood sugars stay more in range. But the problem is when I wake up early and try to eat any kind of breakfast it makes me feel so sick for the rest of the day. I do want to have breakfast but I hate feeling sick for hours afterwards :(

Well done with regards to your Hba1c Nicola :)

What time do you get up, if you don't feel like eating as soon as you wake how about eating a little later, say 1 - 2 hours, this might just stop your bg levels climbing too high into the figures that you are seeing before lunch.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done with regards to your Hba1c Nicola :)

What time do you get up, if you don't feel like eating as soon as you wake how about eating a little later, say 1 - 2 hours, this might just stop your bg levels climbing too high into the figures that you are seeing before lunch.

I get up at around 8 and leave at about half past to do some volunteer work, I've been told I can't eat in the store because it's policy, I can only do so if my sugars drop and I need to. So frustrating! :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would try different types of breakfasts to see if I could find something I felt ok on, some people have trouble with carbs of a morning and are better with lunch and dinner.
for breakfast try just an egg..see how that goes
or eggs frittata precoked

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get up at around 8 and leave at about half past to do some volunteer work, I've been told I can't eat in the store because it's policy, I can only do so if my sugars drop and I need to. So frustrating! :(

I'm sure they can make an exception to the rule given your type 1 diabetes, besides if your doing volunteering work you are doing them a favour by turning up, try something quick and simple like an oat bar or a piece of fruit and see how you get on, obviously you'll still need to bolus for whatever you have.

Reactions: 2 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your help, I'll make sure to ask the manager if I can have something to eat mid morning :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks for all your help, I'll make sure to ask the manager if I can have something to eat mid morning :)
Er no tell the manager that due to your diabetes you have to eat mid morning.