Biggest hypo yet

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg
Hi all.
Looks like my pancreas is having another go. I've been hypoing overnight again. It makes me feel so awful the next day.

My question is; it's my christmas party tonight and I'm supposed to stay over in the hotel. should I definitely lay off the alcohol? Baring in mind the above low happened even though I did not over bolus / basal and I woke up a couple of times over night and ate a lot of carbs even to keep me at that level. Add alcohol in and I'm sure it would be worse.

Also, has anyone got a cure for a "hypo hangover"? I feel awful!

Thanks

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Sorry to hear that.

If you were waking and eating carbs and you were still bumping along at 4.0 I'd say drop your night time basal; was the actual hypo a response to you bolusing for breakfast?

As you are in a strange environment tonight run it a little high; drop the night time basal test before you go to bed and make sure you have a carby snack available if necessary.

As to boozing; I find dry white wine has the least blood sugar effects on me apart from spirits. Beer has a delayed blood sugar drop, red wine has a general blood sugar drop.

I think it would be a bit of a bore to go to the party and not have something to drink.

Try not to over compensate though and eat too much to be 'on the safe side'; easier said than done though.

Have a good one.

Dillinger

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Dillinger, if your having hypo's overnight then you need to reduce your basal insulin, try knocking a couple of units off tonight and start some basal testing as from tomorrow night.

As for drinking tonight, it's your call really, you could enjoy a few drinks and not go over the top, but if you do make sure you have something to eat before going to bed to keep your bg levels up, if you wake up high in the morning you can always give yourself a correction with your breakfast dose.

Enjoy your evening :)

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I hadn't thought if reducing tonight and correcting in the morning then starting again.

Thank you both :)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have to agree. Where you aren't sure, run higher. I'm different to @Dillinger though in that I see little BS drop from red or white wine and definitely see the delayed drop in beer.

Otherwise his advice is good.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree. Where you aren't sure, run higher. I'm different to @Dillinger though in that I see little BS drop from red or white wine and definitely see the delayed drop in beer.

Otherwise his advice is good.
I've tested alcohol quite a lot already and I know it does drop me quite considerably. Maybe I'll have a vodka and orange juice now and then to keep me higher?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
alcohol research project.....count me in

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The main problem with alcohol is that it stops the liver dumping emergnecy glucose to avoid a hypo as it's busy removing the alcohol. So, alcohol in moderation, have some carbs at bedtime and possibly reduce the Basal a bit that night.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I've tested alcohol quite a lot already and I know it does drop me quite considerably. Maybe I'll have a vodka and orange juice now and then to keep me higher?
With the orange juice they sell in most pubs and clubs you'll probably go sky high - it's full of sugar :***:
Be a man and drink your vodka neat from the bottle ;)

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Practice makes perfect; I think I'll test some alcohol this weekend to see if I can refine those skills...
I did my research last night at the works christmas do. Ended up doing an hour's more research than I intended.

My brain hurt this morning.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tested this at my Christmas party yesterday evening - got absolutely plastered, went hypo in the night and had to raid the jelly babies at 4am. Have spent the day with both a regular hangover and a hypo hangover.

Not recommended.