Post Diet BG Readings

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont know where that 4.9 came from, most unexpected!

Bare in mind we rely very heavily on these 'glucose testers' to give us acurate results, but I think I'm right in saying they are between + or - 15 to 20% variance. So though we expect accurate I do not believe they are all the time.
Neil

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bare in mind we rely very heavily on these 'glucose testers' to give us acurate results, but I think I'm right in saying they are between + or - 15 to 20% variance. So though we expect accurate I do not believe they are all the time.
Neil

It's a combination of errors, both from the meter, and batch to batch variation of test strips.
I've found mine is repeatable normally, so the inaccuracy seems to be consistent.

I can alter i more by altering myself, be it resting, exercise, warming my hands up, anything that moves blood makes a change.
Ant contamination will as well.

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point about the meters. Reading your signature, I have also had the odd double digit spike but after testing my long suffering wife for the 'normal' readings, so had she with the same food/portion size. Just had a piece of brownie from my Graze box so I should get a high 1 hour reading soon......

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a combination of errors, both from the meter, and batch to batch variation of test strips.
I've found mine is repeatable normally, so the inaccuracy seems to be consistent.

I can alter i more by altering myself, be it resting, exercise, warming my hands up, anything that moves blood makes a change.
Ant contamination will as well.
The warming of the hands is an interesting one, I test after going for walks in the late evening but often have the opposite effect very cold hands upon return, so I now wonder what effect that has had, never thought!
Neil

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hands, feet, head whatever - they are all freezing cold since shedding a load of weight. One of the very few negatives to this Newcastle mullarkey.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The warming of the hands is an interesting one, I test after going for walks in the late evening but often have the opposite effect very cold hands upon return, so I now wonder what effect that has had, never thought!
Neil

My own theory is that my blood circulates slowly to my extremities, (or they simply don't use as much glucose from my blood stream).
If I'm not moving, or cold, my core blood doesn't get pushed to the extremities as much.
If I warm up, or exercise, particularly enough to break a sweat, it seems to 'replace' my high BG with a fresh lower reading.
It's fairly consistent with me, and I find I can get away with eating more carbs before exercise.

(I also did an experiment with holding freezer food, then running my hands under the hot tap, which made a change, but that could be the temperature of the blood simply altering the action of the meter reading)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hands, feet, head whatever - they are all freezing cold since shedding a load of weight. One of the very few negatives to this Newcastle mullarkey.

I'm freezing, now I don't have the same seal like benefits!

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good point about the meters. Reading your signature, I have also had the odd double digit spike but after testing my long suffering wife for the 'normal' readings, so had she with the same food/portion size. Just had a piece of brownie from my Graze box so I should get a high 1 hour reading soon......

Hi Hairy Camel, Are you supposed to be making us all 'drool' over the foods you can now eat, I don't think this is fair.

On a more serious note though, I think I would do a regime of testing on a whole range of foods If I was in your position, but I feel now knowing what I have learnt from this forum and all the information I have soaked up with regards to diabetes and how the body works, that I would not want to strain by body any more in the future, should with all the high carbs. I really do not know how my body and others stand up so well to this onslaught of high carbs foods on a daily basis in a modern diet.

If I get to the place where you are. I think I would have to continue taking everything in moderation.....
Neil

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Neil, I do think that moderation has to be a byeword for me going onwards, or I'll quickly be back to the fat,50 something yr old that I was a few months ago.
Sorry about the brownie, I also had some pistachios if that sounds better!
Adrian.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
After having two weekends away and eating everything that was given me,I didnt spike at all,but I wouldnt risk it more than two days at a time.
Its taken me since June this year to get my BS down.so may be it takes time to go up again..
I would be carefull.

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch readings:

Ham and tomato sandwich on brown 26g carb, 3g sugar + packet of crisps 17.1g carbs and 0.3g sugar, diet Pepsi

1 Hour 6.0
2 Hours 5.8

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch readings:

Ham and tomato sandwich on brown 26g carb, 3g sugar + packet of crisps 17.1g carbs and 0.3g sugar, diet Pepsi

1 Hour 6.0
2 Hours 5.8
'Blimey' :wideyed: you are doing well, did this sort of start all of a sudden or was it gradual as you did your diet.

Sorry for using the same surprise word as Bluetit, but I was there first just writing more.
Neil

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Neil, this is all very new to me. I have only been introducing these foods in the last few days after finishing my diet a couple of weeks ago. I'm very interested to see if I can have have a 'normal' diet (without the junk food, sweets and beer etc.) going forwards. It would be so much easier to have a bowl of cereal in the morning and a sandwich from the canteen if I could possibly tolerate it.
Having said that, this is why I lost so much weight inspired by Prof. Taylor's findings in the first place.
Upwards and Onwards........

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Neil, this is all very new to me. I have only been introducing these foods in the last few days after finishing my diet a couple of weeks ago. I'm very interested to see if I can have have a 'normal' diet (without the junk food, sweets and beer etc.) going forwards. It would be so much easier to have a bowl of cereal in the morning and a sandwich from the canteen if I could possibly tolerate it.
Having said that, this is why I lost so much weight inspired by Prof. Taylor's findings in the first place.
Upwards and Onwards........
Hi Hairy Camel, can I ask, what were or your readings like when you were first diagnosed.
Neil

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow.
Those numbers are excellent!

But I would keep an eye on your before food levels, and your 2 hour levels.
And every so often do a 3 or 4 hour test too.

If you find that your BG consistently drops lower than your starting level at around 2-4 hours after food, then have a search for reactive hypoglycaemia. But I wouldn't waste your time reading about it unless you get recurring readings showing that it's a pattern. It's very unlikely you have it, but unless you keep an eye out, you would never spot it, because the timeline is outside the usual 2hr test period.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Random test was 18 point something, HBA1C was 77 and fasting on diagnosis was 13.2.
I'm only liking it (sorry) as it gives myself some hope, that once I get the weight 'off' as your figures were somewhat higher than mine, I may be able to achieve the same as you, and try the Brownie rather than the Pistashios.

It does appear to me, as I slowly, quickly in my view, but not compared to you and others that have done it the 'Newcastle' way, I am becoming more tolerant of the carbs as the weight drops and my figures seem to be reducing but still getting the odd spike.

I am plateauing a little at the moment regards the weight, so I may take the more drastic route (NW) eventually.

Thanks for the info, all this insight helps to motivate.

Neil