Prediabetes Wine

mae1946

My doctor tells me i am a prediabetic my first test one month ago was 7.3 and he told me that as i am not overweight that it is a gene thing my brother has type 2 diabetes and he said that i should cut down on my sugar intake especially dont drink wine, i am not a big drinker of wine i was only having a couple of glasses on 4 days a week, i did cut down on the wine and went on a low carb diet and took another test a week ago and it was down to 6.2 havent had chance to see doctor yet, but my question is how much sugar is in wine because when you look up nutrition values it does not show any sugar content and also someone told me red wine has less sugar than white or rose is this correct?

Reactions: Ponchu

MargaretK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor tells me i am a prediabetic my first test one month ago was 7.3 and he told me that as i am not overweight that it is a gene thing my brother has type 2 diabetes and he said that i should cut down on my sugar intake especially dont drink wine, i am not a big drinker of wine i was only having a couple of glasses on 4 days a week, i did cut down on the wine and went on a low carb diet and took another test a week ago and it was down to 6.2 havent had chance to see doctor yet, but my question is how much sugar is in wine because when you look up nutrition values it does not show any sugar content and also someone told me red wine has less sugar than white or rose is this correct?

Hiya, I'm type 1 and have carbs and calories as an app, according to that a 250 ml glass red wine has 1g of carbs and 170 calories, so not too much sugar, it might be the calories the doc is talking about ...dry white wine has 2g carbs and sweet has 15g..hope this helps, I'm glad your sugars are down, well done you

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's generally considered that red wine, dry white wine and dry champagne are OK in sensible amounts, sweeter white wines no. Spirits are also OK as long as they are not in cocktails with sugary mixers. Beer is not good ('liquid bread').

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@mae1946
congrats on starting the BG lowering.
As others have said the sugar content varies by wine type. The other thing is, it is not just the sugar content of your diet that should be controlled, but the carbohydrate content needs to be controlled.
Best way to control this is use a B.G. meter to check how the food affects your body by testing before and at 2 hours after.
Some of us cut carbs right back, others restrict to slower release carbs, the choice is yours, "the meter will show the truth!"
Ask and we will try to help!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is no problem in having wine in sensible quantities. I'm surprised the GP said to restrict it unless you were having too many units per week. As a pre-diabetic you need to control all carbs not just sugar as sugar is merely just another carb. If you are genuinely not overweight then just keep an eye on your blood sugar as having a low'ish BMI with rising blood suagr can indcate T1 rather than T2. As long as your blood sugar stays at your currnelt levels you don't need to worry

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm confused here.. When you say after a week reading came down to 6.2. Was this was blood test on a meter? A 7 day average from a meter? One test after a meal or a hba1c test or fasting test?

Red wine normally lowers bloods as does lower carbs so you're on the right route...

If this was just a one off reading, it not mean a lot.
If it was an average from a meter, again of little value but a little signal going in right direction.
If it was another hba1c or a one off fasting test it does show improvement but a little way to go...

mae1946

Ithe blood test one month ago was done in the morning no food since 10 the previous evening, it was not just for blood sugar levels but other things, we regularily have blood tests in france for older people i am 68 years old, it was this test that showed a reading of 7.3, so doctor said i must have another test in one month to see if it was just a one off, he told me it was sugar, i am 5ft 1in tall and i weigh 50 kilo so not overweight, he said because my brother has diabetes it is probably in my genes. After one month i once again went for test in morning no foo since 10 previous night and the reading was 6.2.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your GP is doing fasting blood tests which aren't that useful other than being a rough guide. Those readings indicate you are possibly pre-diabetic. You need a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) or HBa1C test to provide a better indication. If the GP was taking blood to do a test he might just as well do an HBa1c test. If the readings of 7.3 and 6.2 are % units then they would be HBa1C results. 7.3 is not good and indicates full diabetes but 6.2 is fine. Is supect the readings were not HBa1C. I get the feeling he isn't very clued-up on diabetes? In the meantime you could buy a glucose meter and do occasional checks 2 hours after a meal and if under around 8.5 mmol then you are OK. Keep the carbs down

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have a glucose meter but i have a needle phobia and have not plucked up the courage to use it. I hVe been on a low carb diet since my first test so obviously it must be working.

There was no one worse than me for not liking needles and the thought of having to stab myself a few times a day really frightened me. I could have cut off my arm with an angle grinder and calmly put it back together with insulating tape.................no problem, but a simple little pricky thing................Nah, not me. However, since being at home and being given a monitor to use, I now actually look forward to seeing what my morning result is and then the rest of the days results. really nothing to worry about, honest.;)

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you are right but i keep getting the little thing out i put the lancer in set the depth and that is as far as i get as soon as i put it against my finger i start shaking so havent managed it yet.
Don't worry, you will, and once you do you'll wonder what all the fuss was about, I promise.:happy:

Jersey uk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me if white muscadet is ok for pre diabetic 70 yr old female

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the OP and anyone else interested here is a useful visual guide to alcohol:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

The sweeter the wine the more difficulty your body will have processing those sugars however that will depend on how much you drink of it plus whether it's been glugged down with a meal.

Not all type 2s are overweight and not all the overweight are diabetic. We just have varying degrees of carbohydrate tolerance. That still leaves plenty of delicious food plus spirits/dry red wines to eat though so I hope you enjoy Christmas!

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I know you are right but i keep getting the little thing out i put the lancer in set the depth and that is as far as i get as soon as i put it against my finger i start shaking so havent managed it yet.

I was the same for a long while after getting my first meter but once I overcame the reluctance to press the trigger it became much easier now I think nothing of it I also had to test my daughters bloods for her for a few weeks but now she is ok doing it her self. I found if I looked away or thought of something else and tried not to give myself time to think about it it helped but I do know how difficult it can be. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Muscadet is a dry white wine with low carb/sugar levels, 0.75g of carbs per 125ml glass, so should be ok - as long as you're not intending to drink bottles of it! :)

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 14.46.21.png

Ponchu

Do it a few times without the needle. Repeat.

The brain gets used to the motions and soon your body won’t react.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do it a few times without the needle. Repeat.

The brain gets used to the motions and soon your body won’t react.

The comment you are replying to was posted four years ago. I'm sure that Mae has overcome her fears by now. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Not being a doctor but a happy wine drinker.....I'd drink it. It's very dry so the carb content would be low