Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

Good start today................
B Brek........................5.6 Cheese on toast with Philly on top of that
A Brek........................5.7
That's what I should've done but being out didn't get chance to test my naughtiness

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.0 yesterday but 5.9 this morning. Out of interest what is the recommended period of time that should be allowed between when you last ate and when you do your fasting test?

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 yesterday but 5.9 this morning. Out of interest what is the recommended period of time that should be allowed between when you last ate and when you do your fasting test?

My Practice tells me not to eat after 10pm before a fasting test the following morning, which could be any time after 8-30am

Reactions: 2 people

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.0 this morning - another good result I'm very happy with (4 weeks ago when I was first diagnosed, I was waking up in the teens). Dropping an extra 20g of carbs from my diet (down from 80 to 60 a day) seems to have had the effect of nearly a full point off my fasting BG figures!

I've got my first appointment with the DN this afternoon and I'm going armed with 31 pages of MyFitnessPal food diaries and a full printout of my BS readings from MySugr :)

Hi Phil. That's s terrific story that I'd love to emulate. I was diagnosed last week, after a fasting test measured at 11.5. I've completely changed my diet and cut out most of the carbs. Is there more to your success than this?

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phil. That's s terrific story that I'd love to emulate. I was diagnosed last week, after a fasting test measured at 11.5. I've completely changed my diet and cut out most of the carbs. Is there more to your success than this?

Thanks! I'm on 2x500mg Metformin a day too but I definitely put most of the reduction down to simply cutting down massively on carbs and eating a sensible diet (such as lots of green vegetables and high protein meat such as chicken). Also, eating to my meter in the first few weeks helped me identify things that spiked me and those that didn't so I could tailor my diet to my diabetes

It took a few days before I started seeing any difference then my blood sugar started to drop rapidly and has stayed down for the last couple of weeks. I rarely go above 6.5 now even if I test an hour after a meal and I'm normally in the low 5s

I was just looking back over my readings as I've printed them all out to take to the DN this afternoon and my fasting figure on the day I was diagnosed was 17.9. After a week I'd got it down to 8.5, after a fortnight it was 7.2 and 5.8 after 3 weeks. It stayed pretty much constantly there for a couple of weeks until I dropped a few more carbs from my daily diet and it's been between 4.5 and 5.2 since

Good luck in your journey!

Reactions: 9 people

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Phil. I'm betting the DN is going to shake her head in disbelief! I'm on Metformin too, I should have added. I was on one per day until yesterday, now up to two - to give my system a chance to adjust to the potential side effects.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Phil. I'm betting the DN is going to shake her head in disbelief! I'm on Metformin too, I should have added. I was on one per day until yesterday, now up to two - to give my system a chance to adjust to the potential side effects.

Yeah I had 1 tablet for the first week too. Fortunately, I don't seem to have suffered any of the side effects of Metformin. I wouldn't be surprised if the DN tells me I should be eating more carbs, but I've got all the data to suggest that would be a bad idea :D

Reactions: 4 people

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She'll probably take the credit for the spectacular recovery of her star patient!

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 4.3 for me again this morning. This in my range, so happy enough with that, bearing in mind I have the gritty throat, uncomfortable ears and frequent sneezing. I’m hoping this is my annual cold, and this is the extent of it. Thankfully, this is usually what happens these day. I rarely (touch wood!) go full blown any more.

Today I have had my hair cut and Mr B has been to do his final bits of Christmas shopping. He’s sniggering about the contents of one particular bag, so I can’t wait to see what’s in there!! (Perhaps I should be feeling a bit nervous……)

Play nicely boys and girls. It’s almost the weekend!

Reactions: 13 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Thanks! I'm on 2x500mg Metformin a day too but I definitely put most of the reduction down to simply cutting down massively on carbs and eating a sensible diet (such as lots of green vegetables and high protein meat such as chicken). Also, eating to my meter in the first few weeks helped me identify things that spiked me and those that didn't so I could tailor my diet to my diabetes

It took a few days before I started seeing any difference then my blood sugar started to drop rapidly and has stayed down for the last couple of weeks. I rarely go above 6.5 now even if I test an hour after a meal and I'm normally in the low 5s

I was just looking back over my readings as I've printed them all out to take to the DN this afternoon and my fasting figure on the day I was diagnosed was 17.9. After a week I'd got it down to 8.5, after a fortnight it was 7.2 and 5.8 after 3 weeks. It stayed pretty much constantly there for a couple of weeks until I dropped a few more carbs from my daily diet and it's been between 4.5 and 5.2 since

Good luck in your journey!
Similar story. great stuff Phil

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
sunrise.jpg

Reactions: 19 people
S

Sable_Jan

Noticed a few more new names today. Welcome guys and gals (haven't had chance to check your profiles so covering my options saying both :-D)

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the welcome Sable Jan.

I was diagnosed last Thursday 11/12/14 by my GP after a fasted BG test at the surgery of 11.5. After discovering this forum, I ordered a Codefree meter and accessories.

At 92kg, I am ashamed to say that I'm about 3 stones overweight. I took control of my diet immediately, strict control of carbs and cut out all snacking, just three low-carb (or no carb) meals per day. I've twice had a couple of glasses of red wine.

I was put on 1 x 500mg Metformin, rising to 2 x 500mg yesterday.

My morning (fasted) self tests since my meter arrived are:

Tue 16 Dec - 12.1
Wed 17 Dec - 10.8
Thu 18 Dec - 10.3
Fri 19 Dec - 8.6

Is this too good to be true? I haven't weighed myself yet, but I've definitely lost weight. I'm almost scared to test tomorrow am in case it goes back up!

Reactions: 10 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts

I was diagnosed last Thursday 11/12/14 by my GP after a fasted BG test at the surgery of 11.5. After discovering this forum, I ordered a Codefree meter and accessories.

At 92kg, I am ashamed to say that I'm about 3 stones overweight. I took control of my diet immediately, strict control of carbs and cut out all snacking, just three low-carb (or no carb) meals per day. I've twice had a couple of glasses of red wine.

Tue 16 Dec - 12.1
Wed 17 Dec - 10.8
Thu 18 Dec - 10.3
Fri 19 Dec - 8.6

Is this too good to be true? I haven't weighed myself yet, but I've definitely lost weight. I'm almost scared to test tomorrow am in case it goes back up!
Don't be ashamed @Monday12 it just creeps up on you over the years, I should be 12 stone. I was 15 stone I am now 14 stone, I am confident now that I have been diagnosed and have a reason to change I will be a happy 13 in a years time. What an opportunity. Welcome and good luck!

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be ashamed @Monday12 it just creeps up on you over the years, I should be 12 stone. I was 15 stone I am now 14 stone, I am confident now that I have been diagnosed and have a reason to change I will be a happy 13 in a years time. What an opportunity. Welcome and good luck!

Cheers!

S

Sable_Jan

Tue 16 Dec - 12.1
Wed 17 Dec - 10.8
Thu 18 Dec - 10.3
Fri 19 Dec - 8.6

You're doing great :) and don't worry if you get ups as well as downs, we all do. Do you test before and after meals too? You may find that you CAN eat some foods you thought you can't. Mayb smaller than your usual portions but nice to have for a treat. Can't picture weight as kilos (other than for dogs) I was 14st 9lbs pre pre-diabetic diagnosis but had already lost quite a bit when I got the "news". No meds luckily. Stuck at 12st 12lbs tho.....got my call for HbA1c just got to go. Don't know what my fasting score was but enuf to have the A1c done. Stick around you'll learn a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.