New to this.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well thats one way Andy but personally I prefer the advice given out by the forum which is posted to the newly diagnosed usually by Daisy.

Not everyone wants to eat such a restrictive diet :)
as far as I know, it was requested to write that post by management, to pin it on the LC page, why would anyone be upset about people being referred to it, to read?

removed personal comments .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Daisy's new member support post will continue to be used .
Along with the sticky within the low carb forum .
These both will continue to run as separate pieces of information .
Members can choose which to read and digest in their own good time .

Time is needed especially for any newbies to digest plentiful information .
As too much can overwhelm and overload .

Please lets get back on track here .
Back to support the OP of this thread .

Reactions: 5 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is my second post as the first one was in the wrong place, but never mind hey. I'm a 55 year old male and I was diagnosed just yesterday and still a little shocked. I think I've had diabetes for a number of years because I would do diy jobs but not have the energy to put the tools away when I had done, I used to joke and tell everyone that I was zausted, but when I had to drink more and wee more and started loosing weightI had an idea of what it was and was correct, my wife managers a nursing home and took a water sample to work and tested it, she found a high amount of glucose in it and said you need to see a Doctor for a blood test.

My fasting blood glucose level is 79 the Doc says average is about 45 and I wonder what the difference is between the numbers, some say their glucose level is 5.5 or 6, so I don't know what to say, is one mol/l?

I'm now taking Metformin and although my cholesterol was low the Doctor prescribed me Astovastatin she did say why but i was suffering information overload by then.

I find the forum really good and have spent all eve looking through diets and other stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

This is for all members to recap on - original OP post .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dave Brierley welcome to the forum from me :) As the others have said when you have had the chance to read our replies ask us if there is anything else you need to know. It will all become clearer eventually honestly!:)

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This thread is still being derailed .
Please use the PM source to discuss personal comments .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dave as I read your post, I see 2 main questions.......How to bring down your blood glucose levels? and.... Do you really need statins?

I suggest the first one is most important for now, so that's where I would start if I were you. Some people tell us what they eat on a normal day and we help them from there, but that is up to you. It's your call now! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum dave. I hope you find it interesting, helpful and supportive. So have a good look around.

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is my second post as the first one was in the wrong place, but never mind hey. I'm a 55 year old male and I was diagnosed just yesterday and still a little shocked. I think I've had diabetes for a number of years because I would do diy jobs but not have the energy to put the tools away when I had done, I used to joke and tell everyone that I was zausted, but when I had to drink more and wee more and started loosing weightI had an idea of what it was and was correct, my wife managers a nursing home and took a water sample to work and tested it, she found a high amount of glucose in it and said you need to see a Doctor for a blood test.

My fasting blood glucose level is 79 the Doc says average is about 45 and I wonder what the difference is between the numbers, some say their glucose level is 5.5 or 6, so I don't know what to say, is one mol/l?

I'm now taking Metformin and although my cholesterol was low the Doctor prescribed me Astovastatin she did say why but i was suffering information overload by then.

I find the forum really good and have spent all eve looking through diets and other stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

As to statins, there was a good thread recently here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/still-confused-about-statins.68766/

As to diet, I personally low GI/GL which got my BG levels down, then finished it off with the Newcastle diet, then back onto low GI/GL.

But you need to find a diet that suits you, one you can stick to for life.

A BG meter is also a good way to track your progress, as that way you can see what individual foods do to you.
Also, a slower decrease is better for your body than a sudden decrease.

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
Thanks for all the replies and the links to really quite helpful stuff.

I've ordered a BG monitor so I can check my BG and find out whats the best to eat and not to eat, I ordered the monitor Saturday they dispatched Tuesday and its still not here after Thursdays post, probably delayed due to Christmas. i

I had a good look around the kitchen at all the food labels and was surprised at what I can't/shouldn't eat, a shame really as I love cornflakes and sometimes have two bowls a day, (but always at least one bowl a day) but they are about 90% carb, so I might have to cut cornflakes out and find something else quick and easy for breakfast, (wheatabix) are not much lower either).

I was quite surprised to discover I get metformin free, it's not very often I get something for nothing, I have the form here and I'll fill it in soon, it would be nice if I can backdate it as I paid for my first lot, I sat in the chemist thinking I'd just spent nearly £20 on drugs, now thats a first.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

I've ordered a BG monitor so I can check my BG and find out whats the best to eat and not to eat, I ordered the monitor Saturday they dispatched Tuesday and its still not here after Thursdays post, probably delayed due to Christmas. i

I had a good look around the kitchen at all the food labels and was surprised at what I can't/shouldn't eat, a shame really as I love cornflakes and sometimes have two bowls a day, (but always at least one bowl a day) but they are about 90% carb, so I might have to cut cornflakes out and find something else quick and easy for breakfast, (wheatabix) are not much lower either).

I was quite surprised to discover I get metformin free, it's not very often I get something for nothing, I have the form here and I'll fill it in soon, it would be nice if I can backdate it as I paid for my first lot, I sat in the chemist thinking I'd just spent nearly £20 on drugs, now thats a first.

Dave
sounds like you are getting the hang of it already :)
I'm on the LCHF diet, it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dave, and welcome!

As you've seen, we have some lively debates on diet. :D

But everyone has the same goal - keeping our blood glucose down to acceptable levels, and enjoying our food as much as we can.

Once your meter arrives you will find out very quickly how your body responds to the different foods you eat, and after that it just takes a bit of common sense to cut (or reduce) the foods that raise your blood glucose to high.

In the meantime, don't have too many expectations.
There are people on here who can eat porridge and bread with no problems. But they send my blood glucose very high. You may be one of the lucky ones. :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Dave b, welcome to the best forum on the web, ask as many questions as you need too,and you will get the answer here,it's all a bit confusing too start with but be live me you will get lots of help here:))

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Dave
Once you get your exemption card, which is valid for five years, you'll get all your prescription meds free!