Brittle diabetes/Double diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I am 54 and have been a type 1 diabetic since my early twenties. My sugar levels have fluctuated for the past few years and I am now on an insulin pump. I have problems with my eyes - retinopathy etc and I am having Lucentis injections to both eyes on a regular basis. I also neuropathy in both feet and lower limbs which has led to Charcot foot in my right foot for the past 12 months. I have also had problems with arrhythmia so had an ablation earlier this year which seems to have helped. I also have ED and have now been told that I may have gastropareis or gluten intolerance for which I am now awaiting tests.

My sugar levels are all over the place for no apparent reasons with lows (2.7) and highs (19.7). I have no hypo awareness so I test regularly. Has anybody else had same problems and do you think it could be Brittle diabetes, Double diabetes or something else?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi baldrick

I'm in a similar position to yourself.

I've got Charcot in both feet and ankles and am in casts, partially sighted, kidney disease and autonomic neuropathy with no hypo awareness. I have been described as having brittle diabetes.

My blood sugar has been increasingly stable -more low than high- since using a pump and I also use CGM to alert me to hypos as I was going unconscious without warning. That has revolutionised my life and I feel a lot safer.

If you do have gastroparesis that could account for unpredictable and widely swinging blood sugars due to delayed absorption of food. No hypo awareness for me means a complete lack of awareness of highs and lows, I couldn't tell where my bg was and even with lots of testing I was swinging around quite a lot.

As noblehead suggests, try to rule out any swings caused by basal rate problems. Can you ask your diabetes team about the loan of a CGM or perhaps consider the Libre which measures interstitial glucose via a sensor and reader as so much goes on blood sugar wise in between finger blood glucose tests and there maybe things you can tweak to get a flatter, more stable blood sugar. Good luck, it is a lot to deal with.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi. I am 54 and have been a type 1 diabetic since my early twenties. My sugar levels have fluctuated for the past few years and I am now on an insulin pump. I have problems with my eyes - retinopathy etc and I am having Lucentis injections to both eyes on a regular basis. I also neuropathy in both feet and lower limbs which has led to Charcot foot in my right foot for the past 12 months. I have also had problems with arrhythmia so had an ablation earlier this year which seems to have helped. I also have ED and have now been told that I may have gastropareis or gluten intolerance for which I am now awaiting tests.

My sugar levels are all over the place for no apparent reasons with lows (2.7) and highs (19.7). I have no hypo awareness so I test regularly. Has anybody else had same problems and do you think it could be Brittle diabetes, Double diabetes or something else?
My blood sugars would go from 0 - 60 (slight exaggeration) whilst trying synthetic insulin, So I went back to Animal insulin and use that in my pump. For quite awhile 15 months or so a go I had unexplained hypo's as well and it worked out to be gluten intolerance. Now gluten free and fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My stomach works superbly well now with 2 teaspoon of flaxseed daily and more fat. Ref gastrparesis, have you had the shapes test done? Stomach works lovely now, but I had slow colonic transit.

Animal insulin may be better for you. Have you a CGM?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, it's best to ask your DSN or diabetes consultant. But, saying that, befiore I was dianosed with Coeliac disease my sugar levels were all over the place, and I had no idea what is was. I did though have other symptoms and I was convinced I had an ulcer, but no. I remember one Sarurday after going home for lunch from work, I had normal lunch, took Insulin, walked back to shop, 7 mins, by the time I took my own coat off and put shop coat on, I was feeling bad, so tested and I had dropped to about 2.2. I just couldn't understand it and thought I had taken too much Insulin, but I now know I hadn't. The food ( nutrients) weren't being absorbed, so at times It was like having Insulin on an empty stomach :eek:
I don't know if this is any help to you, but I do hope you can find out what is causing your problems.

Take care and good luck RRB

Reactions: 4 people