Fist time out since being diagnosed

Dan_Mason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi people,

Wondering if anyone can help. I have a work Christmas meal tomorrow. I am only on 2 units of insulin a day and I take it before my final meal of the day around 6pm. Tomorrow we are having a 3 course meal at around 2pm-3pm and will be having some drinks afterwards. Because my meal will consist of more that what I'd usually eat around that time of day should i bring my insulin dosage foward from the usual time of 6pm or should I keep it at the same time as usual. I am currently on humalog mix 25.

Thanks x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am unsure, so wouldn't want to advise you. Hopefully someone who takes the same as you will be along to help and advise. You could google the question or try and phone your DSN or diabetes help line for advice, good luck.

RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that you situation is a bit different from mine, and if you are only taking 2 units per day then you are taking very low doses, what have your readings been like?

How much do your sugars change per unit of insulin ? Is this going to be your last meal of the day, or will you be eating again later that night ?
Do you have the ability to give half units? like maybe take 0.5 units before the meal and then your 2 later, just to keep you from going really high.. This isn't advice, just brainstorming here haha

Dan_Mason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My readings have been ok. They range from around 5-6.5. I do have the option of half units, but never realy considered it.

I have spoke to my diabetic nurse who has said to keep my units as normal unless I have pudding which I have never done even before being diagnosed. I think I will just keep an eye on my blood sugars and act if they rise into double figures. I have no idea how alcohol will affect my levels mind

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi again, as Imentioned, I am not the same as you, but I have a 1/2 unit pen and it has been invaluable to me

Good luck RRB

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Dan
this is a really interesting question.
what sort of readings might you expect with no insulin ??

As you are only taking 1 injection a day of mixed insulin ( Humalog Mix 25) which consists of 25% fast acting and 75% long acting insulin
i would bring forward the dose to the time you eat as you will need that bit of fast acting to start working as you consume carbohydrate.

Drinking alcohol tends to have a reducing effect on blood sugar so i would not take any additional insulin.

do take a reading at 2 hours post meal to see how you are getting on and definitely a test before bed as well to confirm that you are not low before going to sleep.

have a great time too !!!!!