First Diabetic Nurse Appointment

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I've just got back from my first DN appt and it was a pretty positive event. I went armed with my BS readings from MySugr and a full (31 page) food diary printed out from MyFitnessPal.

She looked through my BS readings and was more than a little surprised I'd got them under control as well as I have and said she was planning to increase my metformin dose but doesn't need to now :)

She also gave me my HbA1c reading from when I was diagnosed which was a bit of a shock - it was 107 (11.9% or an average of 16.3 mmo/ml)!!
In the 5 weeks since I was diagnosed I have completely changed my eating habits, cutting out carbs and drastically increasing the amount of vegetables I eat (thanks in no small part to this excellent forum) and my 7 day average BS is now 5.7

She then weighed me (and I was delighted to see I've lost 5kg in the last 5 weeks) and gave me a flu shot

I asked about testing strips but she said they aren't allowed to prescribe them (she could give me a meter but no strips!) as I'm only on metformin and it doesn't have a risk profile associated with hypos: She did say she didn't agree with the rules as she could clearly see I am using my meter to motivate myself and assist in controlling my diabetes, but her hands are tied

After that she gave me a leaflet (adding it's probably superfluous for me ;)) and told me about the eye tests, foot tests, etc and about the courses they run (which I probably won't go on)

Finally she congratulated me for getting things so well under control so quickly and off I went

In all, a pretty positive first appointment

Reactions: 6 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
So, I've just got back from my first DN appt and it was a pretty positive event. I went armed with my BS readings from MySugr and a full (31 page) food diary printed out from MyFitnessPal.

She looked through my BS readings and was more than a little surprised I'd got them under control as well as I have and said she was planning to increase my metformin dose but doesn't need to now :)

She also gave me my HbA1c reading from when I was diagnosed which was a bit of a shock - it was 107 (11.9% or an average of 16.3 mmo/ml)!!
In the 5 weeks since I was diagnosed I have completely changed my eating habits, cutting out carbs and drastically increasing the amount of vegetables I eat (thanks in no small part to this excellent forum) and my 7 day average BS is now 5.7

She then weighed me (and I was delighted to see I've lost 5kg in the last 5 weeks) and gave me a flu shot

I asked about testing strips but she said they aren't allowed to prescribe them (she could give me a meter but no strips!) as I'm only on metformin and it doesn't have a risk profile associated with hypos: She did say she didn't agree with the rules as she could clearly see I am using my meter to motivate myself and assist in controlling my diabetes, but her hands are tied

After that she gave me a leaflet (adding it's probably superfluous for me ;)) and told me about the eye tests, foot tests, etc and about the courses they run (which I probably won't go on)

Finally she congratulated me for getting things so well under control so quickly and off I went

From what I have read you have done remarkably well you must be very pleased.
A big congratulations from me.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Well done mate :)

Reactions: 4 people

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.

Ah this is great to read! Well done Phil :D

Reactions: 2 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's very inspiring Phil. My first appointment is on 02 Jan and I'm about to order a glucometer for delivery asap.

I'm trying to keep the meds down and hopefully the drastic change in diet will pay dividends and mean I don't need to up them in line with the Doctors suggestion (on diagnosis)

Disky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great to read this Phil, I've just been diagnosed yesterday and the positivity of your post is very aspiring

Onwards & upwards