A low GI diet may not help your blood sugar.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was interesting that with low carb, either low or high were the same

american diabetes association's has backed away as well and their policy statement is..
"Substituting low–glycemic load foods for higher–glycemic load foods may modestly improve glycemic control."

"What's wrong with the Glycaemic Index. GI diet books are all the rage, but the GI is actually not that useful after all. This video lists some of the GI's anomalies and errors which are exploited by health professionals and diet book writers to mislead and misinform."

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as per the video..with a low carb diet, fats slows the digestion of high GI and therefore makes it a low GI.

if you want low GI, proteins and fats would be about zero.., the ultimate low GI food

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's many on the forum who incorporate low-gi carbs in their diet and have very good control of their diabetes, as the saying goes don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you want to turn high GI toast into low GI toast, put oils or fats on/with it, because it slows digestion

google diabetic pizza effect

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This little study was done "in the context of a DASH-type diet". So just how low carb was the low carb wing? Possibly not very low carb at all. In any event it is impossible to say from what is available to read. In other words, this means nothing to me.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This little study was done "in the context of a DASH-type diet". So just how low carb was the low carb wing? Possibly not very low carb at all. In any event it is impossible to say from what is available to read. In other words, this means nothing to me.
I doubt very much if it was what most of us here would call "low carb", there may be more written about it or details of the study

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would set the bar for your definition of LC at least.
It would be an ironic twist if my diet became the standard for LC, and I could call myself a guru, based on your approval of it, and my success.
Watch this space I guess?

sadly the study showed that low GI was a waste of time with lc intake, so your sandcastle in the sky may come crashing down

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
GL ... glycemic load is more informative than GI.
Chips and roast potatoes are GI lower than mashed boiled or baked spuds because of the fat ... GL will tell you the amount you can eat.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
So far I haven't found any carbs that don't spike my blood sugar. Anyone have any suggestions? I mean, besides heaping butter on something carby.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
So far I haven't found any carbs that don't spike my blood sugar. Anyone have any suggestions? I mean, besides heaping butter on something carby.
Quaker oats.
I have no idea why but I'm ok with them but they are quite high in carbs.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Wait, oatmeal had the same GI as All Bran, which spikes my blood sugar.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Wait, oatmeal had the same GI as All Bran, which spikes my blood sugar.
Yes it is high but but but ... I think it has some qualities I don't know of which prevent it converting to glucose as quick as something of similar GI ... there are quite a lot of diabetics it seems that are ok with it.
Oats are not like wheat.
They contain a lot more goodies and you could live on the stuff and nothing else for quite a long time ... if you weren't diabetic of course.
Do a little research or maybe try a small portion checking your bloods before and a couple of hours later.
Why oats are ok for me I have no idea cos no other breakfast cereal is.
Best of luck.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I can eat a small portion of any carb without spiking my blood sugar. I was hoping to find a "low GI" carb that I can eat a decent amount of. However, if two different carbs with the same GI and GL affect people's blood sugar differently, I'm starting to doubt the usefulness of the GI. However, I'll give Quaker oats a try, but unsweetened it doesn't sound very appetizing.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can eat a small portion of any carb without spiking my blood sugar. I was hoping to find a "low GI" carb that I can eat a decent amount of. However, if two different carbs with the same GI and GL affect people's blood sugar differently, I'm starting to doubt the usefulness of the GI. However, I'll give Quaker oats a try, but unsweetened it doesn't sound very appetizing.
You could try bulgur wheat. I seem to be able to tolerate it much better than rice etc. it may have to do with the fact that in preparing the wheat is cracked, boiled so partly cooked and then allowed to cool down and (sun) dry.

I can roughly tolerate double the quantity of bulgur wheat than I would rice and the two can be used interchangeably.

The problem you would face when trying any carb, is that there is a time lag in our enzyme production; our body remembers what meal we are used to having and produces enzymes in response to our next meal based on what we are actually having in that meal, but also based on what it expects us to have.

As you low carb, your body is expecting your next meal to be low in carbs. Suddenly introducing any more carbs than it expects will cause your body to spike to a greater extent than it would if you were not low carbing,

That is why when taking a glucose tolerance test, for reliable results to come out one is asked to take a minimum of 150g per day of carbs for at least the previous three days.

Pavlos