First day with my Glucometer.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Good evening all, I hope you have all had a lovely day!

Well my glucometer came and wow I have learned something new! I am a complete wimp and it took me a good few hours to gain the courage to press
that little button of doom :oops: Who'd of thought it concidering I have many tattoos... I felt quite embarrased by myself as ofcourse when I FINALLY hit that little button of doom
It turned out great and I didnt pass out/die! Phew!!

So, I couldnt take my morning bloods as my meter didnt show up till around 3pm, so just before I tucked into my 30g porridge with blueberries and peanut butter I took my bloods (Now I hadnt eaten a thing since 10am) and it was 5.4mmol. 2 hours later it was 7.3. I am not 100% sure if this is good? If its good does this mean I can cope with that amount of porridge?

Thanks in advance.

Kris X :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on being so brave!

Good first reading after porridge. Well done.

In the morning, test as soon as you get out of bed after washing your hands (important to wash hands first) and before you start pottering about.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, that's a good result on the porridge!

But I would test it another few times, to be sure (other factors like stress, tiredness and how much activity you are doing can affect a result). Always best to test a food several times. You will rarely get exactly the same result, but you will quickly spot good and bad food choices!

Also, depending on the portion size of blueberries and peanut better, they will have an effect.

Peanut butter has oils in it, which may slow digestion down a bit.
Maybe do a few tests without the pb and see if there is any difference...

Welcome to the art (and science) of BG testing. :D

Reactions: 4 people

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hey all :) And thanks everyone! I woke at 8am and my fasting was 5.6mml so I just had my porridge again but without the pb, Will see what the meter says come 11am xx *fingers crossed* :rolleyes:

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Blah :eek: Just tested again and I had a reading of 8.6mml :arghh:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Those readings are good. Anything below around 8.5mmol after 2 hours is considered OK

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
:lock: Yeah, I feel abit gutted, But I got to tell myself I am new to this and it is indeed all trial and error, Baby steps! I have to be honest I used the quick cook kind as I was far to hungry to wait... and I think I may of had a wee bit more than the 25g of porridge I had at teatime yesterday.. think it was more like 35g...Lol :banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:lock: Yeah, I feel abit gutted, But I got to tell myself I am new to this and it is indeed all trial and error, Baby steps! I have to be honest I used the quick cook kind as I was far to hungry to wait... and I think I may of had a wee bit more than the 25g of porridge I had at teatime yesterday.. think it was more like 35g...Lol :banghead:

Why not be radical and try a completely different breakfast? Greek yogurt (full fat) with a few berries thrown in and maybe a sprinkling of seeds?

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
Done that.

Lol.

In fact, I think I've made every mistake in the book. :D

Don't worry. You are playing a long game. Just keep going. Learn from the mistakes, and you will very quickly start getting things right without having to think about it.

Reactions: 3 people

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Why not be radical and try a completely different breakfast? Greek yogurt (full fat) with a few berries thrown in and maybe a sprinkling of seeds?

I am off into town later today ( I know I must be completely mad to do so as its THAT time of year where everyone is bumping into each other) as I havent had the chance to do a full shop, So I will vbe concentrating on low carb foods, i will most definately grab some greek yogurt and berries, I have quite alot of seeds in at the mo, I will try your suggestion for tomorrows breaky, Thanks blue xx

Tonight I am making a low carb Mousakka with salad, Its good my hubby has changed his eating habits to match my own. This time lastweek he would of been having a side of chips and salad to go with his main meal. I think Id kill him if I had to share the table with him eating chips... sorry rambling now lol as my mouth is watering now thinkin of chip sarnies........:bag:

Reactions: 5 people

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hi and welcome. Those readings are good. Anything below around 8.5mmol after 2 hours is considered OK

Thanks for the welcome Dai :) I will get to grips of this diabetes malarky and all the numbers x x

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Morning.

I have been aiming for (and getting) BG levels of 7.8 at 1 hour and 6.6 at 2 hours. Is 8.5mmol acceptable for diabetics? I am prediabetic. Confused.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The levels below can be found on this link: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html . Many of us aim a bit lower than these ranges, but initially @Liverbird1 , have these as your starting point.

upload_2014-12-20_13-1-37.png

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hey all <3, Okay so I made Mousakka over the weekend and also Cauliflower cheese too, as I am trying to introduce a lower carb approach way of eating for my children too.. but not 100% ofcourse.. would be impossible anyway! Kids and carbs... :mad:.. I am so pleased! Not only did my kids LOVE the "Non pasta lasagne" but so did my blood sugar! I had quite a large helping of this meal too and I found my bloods to be within range after the two hours.. I had leftover a few hours later and yeah.. I got a reading of 7.2. The cauliflower cheese really shocked me though as I made the cheese sauce tradionally with white flour... though I had ALOT less sauce than the rest of family.. My bloods were actually higher at 6.2 before meal than they were at 5.7 2 hours after :) I have some left over for tomorrow! I am still undeafted with the porridge ( I got 8.6 after eating porridge :'( ) and I will try again tomorrow morning but I will have less porridge more linseed.... :) still early days here, but I think I am starting to understand and learn xx

Reactions: 8 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For convnience I have 2 tblspoons of instant hot oat cereal and 1 tblspn of oatmeal which I mix with whole milk and water (50/50) and m/wave for about 2 mins. I then add 1 dessertspn of linseed. I find that this keeps me going all morning and does not spike my BG! Appreciate that because we are all different what works for me might not for somebody else but it might be worth a try.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding ground almonds to porridge also reduces it's BG impact, and raises its 'satisfaction factor'.

:D