Children!!

kat1989

Hope someone can help or relate.
I have a two year old son and have never hid that id like more children.
But when i was diagnosed september as type 1 my partner is determined there is no more children due to the risks to me and the baby.
Am i right to be upset at the thought of having no more children or am i being selfish

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm not type 1, but I would say you could start by educating your partner better, some risks are manageable. I don't think you are being selfish at all. He is.

kat1989

See weve both looked online about it and i also have other health problems which could make it risky and now with the diabetes so think hes looking for a whole point of view regarding health and what another pregnancy might be like for me so im looking for advice for people who have been there with this situation

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, see how this thread goes, you might need to start another thread in the type 1 section eventually so that more types 1's see it. Or maybe you could PM Giverny to move this one for you. Just an idea.

I'm sorry I can't be any more help. I hope someone useful comes along.
x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the little I know about it, it all boils down to how good your blood glucose control is, and your HbA1c.
Stick within the advised BG levels, and the risks are minimised.

What does your consultant say?

kat1989

Yeah i have just moved this to the type one group.
And havent ran it past consultant yet as we get married next july so childreb arent on the gender anytime soon but just wanted to know if people had been in this situation

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me and partner are trying for our first baby but with the risks and my hb1ac being high he has put it off and that gets me really upset cause I might not even have a child xxx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Being T1 does not mean that your children will be but the risk is higher than for a non-diabetic. Having a high HBA1c is not good regardless and needs reduction to below 6.5% if possible. With the right diet and medication you will be able to achieve that so that is not in itself a reason to avoid pregnancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hope someone can help or relate.
I have a two year old son and have never hid that id like more children.
But when i was diagnosed september as type 1 my partner is determined there is no more children due to the risks to me and the baby.
Am i right to be upset at the thought of having no more children or am i being selfish

Hi, partner could do with getting the right information and you are definitely not selfish at all. I had my daughter ( I was type 1 then for 11 years) and I was 42 1/2 years old, and my daughter is a fit and a healthy teenager.
Always get proper advice, and support from your GP, DSN or diabetes team, there is absolutley no reason why you couldn't fall pregnant and have a happy and healthy child, regardless of being Type 1..
Type 1 just happens I'm afraid, but always best to talk it through, sensibly and positively.
Good luck and all the best RRB :)

kat1989

I know i should be grateful for the child ive got and i seriously am after losing one,but never eant him to be the only child.
It isnt on the cards anytime soon as we get married july so i know ive got 7 months ahead of me yet.
I guess nearer the time i can discuss it with my consultant and nurse and see what they say

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been t1 for 19 yrs, my children are 11 and 8. Both normal pregnancies. The only differences were lots more check ups and I was started off early with both but only 1 and 2 weeks. Normal deliveries, 7 lb 1 oz and 7 lb 13 oz's.
The key is a good steady hba1c. Good luck x

kat1989

Thats good to know and i try and keep on track now with a two year old so i know id be determimed carrying one?and would do all the check ups etc to make sure baby is safe x