Insulin pump yay or nay?

CourCour'x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've been diabetic for ten years now and have been in a constant battle with it trying many different insulin ruitines but so far none have been right for me. Recently my partner brought up the idea of an insulin pump, I have been researching this but would like to know individuals personal pros and cons on the insulin pumps please? Help...

H

Hooked

I got a pump back in April and haven't looked back. It can take a while to jump through the hoops needed to get funding for one; but so worth it. DO it!

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi I've been diabetic for ten years now and have been in a constant battle with it trying many different insulin ruitines but so far none have been right for me. Recently my partner brought up the idea of an insulin pump, I have been researching this but would like to know individuals personal pros and cons on the insulin pumps please? Help...

I have had no con's on mine BEST thing I have ever done!! Hba1c has gone from 114 to 58 in just over a year! I feel more normal again as well.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you've tried lots of different regimes and are still having control issues then maybe a pump would be a good way forward. I've used one for 14 years now and removing long acting insulin from my life was the best thing that has happened control wise. A pump gives so much more flexibility over your control, it's a yay from me.

Find out what your diabetes team think and if they agree that you would benefit from a pump. You will need to do a carb counting course such as DAFNE if you haven't done one. There's loads of great advice on the pros and cons on the Insulin pump forum.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been reading the book Pumping Insulin and can honestly say from reading it that the pro's far outweigh the con's, I'll be changing from MDI to a pump sometime in the New Year :)

CourCour'x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much for your advice, I'm going to see my diabetes team tomorrow to talk with them about an insulin pump I'm very excited and hope all works out!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
definite yay.

for me, much finer control and steadier levels overall.

jeniferfer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a long time pump user (type 1, just like you). I'm going to answer these in the order you asked them.

1. Pumps have sport guard cases that can protect it during sports. However, it's recommended that during contact sports you take it off.

2. Pumps can be disconnected without removing the infusion set. The sets have a "tail"...a few inches of tubing that comes from the actual cannula that's in your abdomen. The pump can easily disconnect from a juncture.

3. Pumps have belt clips that just clip to the waist of whatever you're wearing. They are about the size of a pager so it shouldn't get in the way. They look like pagers (mine is often mistaken for one). You can tuck the tubing into a pocket or under the waist of your clothes. That's what I do.

4. Some pumps are waterproof, others are water resistant and others can survive an accidental dunk. When I shower, I disconnect my pump while I'm in there. Mine is not water proof. I disconnect it to swim or shower.

5. As for wearing the pump at school, make sure the school knows that it is a pump and not a pager. Many schools do not allow students to carry cells or pagers with them while in class.

6. You will have to check your sugar even more frequently...about 6-8 times a day. You will have to be very vigilant about your sugar levels.

7. If you get a pump, you will have to attend a pump training course to learn how to use it. I strongly suggest that one or BOTH of your parents go with you. The company of whatever pump you choose will provide you with information on the class.

8. The infusion set should be changed every 3 days. It really doesn't hurt...you can get an injector device that just shoots it in. The needle will be removed...only the plastic cannula stays in your skin. It will take a few tries to get the hang of it.

9. Sleeping with a pump takes a little getting used to. You can clip it to your PJs or undewear or just put it next to you in the bed (that's what I do).

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to email me through Y Answers. If you have any other questions or whatever, I'll get back to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

kat1989

Im actually glad someone else has mentioned the pump as ive been told i need one fitting next year.
Now this might so stupid i dont pay for my prescription for the diabetes so having a pump fittted would i have to pay??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Im actually glad someone else has mentioned the pump as ive been told i need one fitting next year.
Now this might so stupid i dont pay for my prescription for the diabetes so having a pump fittted would i have to pay??

No you won't.

Niecie

Hi , for me it's pump all the way! Diabetic for 36 year been on the pump for approx 5 weeks and it's been life changing more in control than ever and have so much more control from 4+injections a day to one every 3days know what I prefer , good luck with whatever you decide :) x

Niecie

No Kat you font have to pay but you do have to have 'a summons' as to why it would benefit you I had to go through 3 doctors and then it has to have finding for me the process was really quick I queried about it in June and got it by end of Oct ( set up in Nov) you do need to know how to carb count but that is also a benefit give it a go you don't know unless you try :) x

kat1989

Right ok because my dietician is the one who told me about havig the pump fitted as she knows my lifestyle etc and havig to inject 4-5 a times a day and i hate it shes going to put me forward for the dafne course so im hoping they will let me have it tbh x

Niecie

I did Dafne way before I even knew about the pump( approx 4 year ago) it's def beneficial but you can also get an app for your phone or a book calked carbs and cals it's v beneficial as it lists almost everything you could think of eating I swear by it :) I only found out about the pump through diabetes uk ! Sooo glad I asked lol 1 happy pumper :) x

kat1989

Yeah ive already got thw carna to cals book as adjustin my insulin to food i eat,so im already learning that so at least on dafne ive already got the carb knowledge so its whatever else they will learn me.
Wont be on coursr till june next year ao told about september i would be fitted with pump bur guess its waiting game x

iHs

Insulin pumps demand a lot of attention to get the settings correct so bg testing frequently is a must and calculating the csrb content in food is paramount.