My GAD results

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I just got my GAD results and I would need some help to interpret the results.

My values 0.6

< 0.7 negative
.0.7 - 1.1 borderline
>1.1 positive.

I guess this means that I will become type1, this antibodies should not exist in our bodies?

Thank you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that you don't have GAD antibodies showing up which implies if you do become T1 then it won't be because of GAD antibodies. Do bear in mind that GAD tests carried out a long-time after diabetes diagnosis come up with frequent wrong negatives. Also there are several non-GAD antibodies and there can be other causes such as viruses, pancreattits and so on. I assume you are thin but with poor blood sugar control and the doc is testing for T1? The latest DEC 2014 NICE provisional Guidelines suggest being below a BMI of 25 and probably below age 50 are stong pointers to T1.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tibi, I think you should go back to the doctor and ask what it means. It'll mean one thing or the other, and you'll need to know which.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started gaining wight again, I am 34 years old , 1.70 m and 81 kg so I am not skiny at all. Now I eat LCHF and my glucose is never higher then 100mg/dl. The problem is that I am always dizzy and confused and after I eat I am super tired and slepe.

From what I read there should be no GAD antibodies in our system, that is correct?

I asked the doctor and he said is ok but doctors here in Romania are bad.

I have no idea what to do anymore I am worse by the day...

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much carbohydrate do you eat? What medication are you taking? As a type 1, I have tried LCHF but it made me tired and exhausted all the time. So I went back to about 90g per day and have no problems. Everyone is different and although the body should adapt to LCHF it might take a long time.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any drugs because the doctor said I am prediabetic..... If I eat the diet that the doctor give me with bread and rice and stuff I spike to 180-200 mg/ml, with LCHF I never go over 100mg/ml.

The problem is that I feel really bad, tired and dizzy all the time.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I were you, I should send the whole test to a lab in Europe and ask them to explain. If that's not possible, I would get the test done again somewhere the staff can explain to you what the test results mean.

So long as your BG levels stay as
low as you say they are now, you don't need insulin. But if you are LADA, you and your doctor might choose that you start insulin.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At least 1% of the non diabetic population has GAD antibodies, it varies between ethnic groups. Many healthy relatives of people with T1 diabetes also have these antibodies. ie they have a positive not a negative test result.
http://www.southend.nhs.uk/pathology-handbook/test-directory/test-directory-g-index/gad-antibodies/
Unfortunately you will have to discuss why you feel so tired all the time with your doctor, I can't see that glucose levels of 100mg/dl(5.5mmol/l) should make you feel that way
Are you actually eating enough on your diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your tiredness, dizziness etc may not be related to diabetes at all. Have you had other tests or investigations? How is your blood pressure? Thyroid? Not everything is caused by blood glucose.

What are you eating. If you give us an idea of a typical day's food, we may spot something.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am eating lchf now and I am not hungry. For example this morning three eggs with vegetables, at lunch a big salad with a lot of chease, before dinner a greek yougurt with some nuts and at dinner some soup.

Guys I am feeling so horrible, I don't know what to do anymore and this test is saying to me that I am type 1 or I will become type 1, the doctor said that the test is negative so is fine.

I don't have enough money to go in Europe in another country, lost my job and I have only a few hours of relative lucidity during the day. I am so sick of this that I got to a point where I wish for death.

Has nobody had a GAD test to try to help me understand my result?

Thank you all for your help and support.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
according to the information you have given us you had a level of 0.6 (units not given) and as that is lower than 0.7 it was negative for GAD antibodies ,according to your info then you would need levels above 1.1 to be positive. It's difficult for people to compare because different labs have different ranges. (The unit is also very important.)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As I said in my earlier post you do not have GAD antibodies. As you say you are a bit overweight I wonder why the GP tested you for GAD i.e. for Late onset T1? The main indicator is being thin and you say you aren't. It is unlikely your tiredness is related to the pre-diabetes so you need to discuss other possibilities with the GP

Reactions: 2 people

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But I do have some GAD antibodies they are 0.6 ku/l but the test say that it has to be greater then 1.1 to be positive. Dose this mean that my GAD antibodies are already destroying my beta cells. Is it normal to have this GAD antibodies even in small values.

Thank you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see why you are homing in on diabetes. Your levels are not diabetic levels, although your doctor says pre-diabetic, but not yet full blown diabetic. With those levels and no medication, how can you be Type 1? Your tiredness etc is most likely nothing to do with diabetes.

You have a BMI of 28 which means you are a lot overweight. This may not be helping. It could also be your diet. You have been asked about this but just keep saying LCHF. What exactly do you eat? What did you eat yesterday?

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted in an above post what I eat today. As for diabetes I failed the glucose test it was 189 mg/dl, my cpeptide low and now this GAD test that is saying that is negative but I do have 0.6 GAD antibody, this is why I am so confused. I had all the symptoms. Now the after I eat LCHF I don't pee that often and my mouth is not sweet tasting anymore but the dizzy, light headed and confusion remain, and after I eat I have to stay in bed for an hour, really tired and the hart start racing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Tibi, I missed that.

Have you got your own testing meter? If so, do you test yourself after meals and when you are feeling dizzy and confused? If so, what sort of levels do you see?

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I eat LCHF levels are under 100 mg/dl after an hour and I eat some carbs too usually half of graipfruit.

What I am worried is with this GAD test because doctors in Romania are a mess, should we have GAD antibodies in our system or not?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking enough salt?
Do you sprinkle it on your food, or drink it as broth (a cup of hot water with a salty stock cube dissolved in it?

Phinney and Volek, who have decades of studying low carb diets and have written several books on the subject advise anyone on a low carb diet to supplement their salt intake by about 2g a day. As broth/soup or on food.

Personally, I also supplement with potassium and chelates magnesium, which seems to make my muscles feel better and has stopped the cramps I used to get. But I have no idea if that last bit of information is relevant to you.