What is your low carb "comfort food" when stressed?

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you're stressed out or feeling a bit peckish or hormonal, what low carb food do you enjoy? Beating deadlines, I used to grab a bar of chocolate for that "burst of energy". Any low carb suggestions? Thanks!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One ounce [28 grams] of Manchego cheese cut into tiny cubes and eaten with a toothpick.

Reactions: 2 people

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower cheese (made with soft cheese and grated hard cheese - no flour). And sausages. My ultimate low-carb meal when I want to cosy up on the sofa with a blanket and eat something rib-sticking.

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The last thing I want if stressed is to eat anything so I must be peculiar. However, when attacked by the munchies (carb cravings?) I have a teaspoonful of peanut butter and half a dozen nuts. By the time I've got the butter off my palate and the nutty bits out of my teeth I'm ok again.
Occasionally I make little squares from almond flour, eggs and cheese and a couple of them with Natex (Marmite) or more cheese is ok. They are portable if sandwiched. I had a 9-bar once on a bus but didn't test afterwards -- I trust @Brunneria implicitly!

Reactions: 8 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And what's wrong with a giant chunky kit kat :) ...only joking ...I love Bavarian smoked cheese, well any cheese actually, i love the stuff . On my weaker moments, I do confess to raiding the kids sweetie cupboard.

Reactions: 9 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Two thick slices of Gouda with a thick slice of off the bone ham in between with full fat hollandaise:::)))

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last thing I want if stressed is to eat anything so I must be peculiar. However, when attacked by the munchies (carb cravings?) I have a teaspoonful of peanut butter and half a dozen nuts. By the time I've got the butter off my palate and the nutty bits out of my teeth I'm ok again.
Occasionally I make little squares from almond flour, eggs and cheese and a couple of them with Natex (Marmite) or more cheese is ok. They are portable if sandwiched. I had a 9-bar once on a bus but didn't test afterwards -- I trust @Brunneria implicitly!

Awww. That's so sweet!

But you should always test new foods. :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the odd one here. I have rarely snacked or grazed. Perhaps it's my generation. 3 meals a day, cups of tea in between. I only ever did it when I was having chemo, and that hugely contributed to my diabetes. Not the snacking, but what I snacked on!

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to go for something naughty... So for me it would be sugar free jelly with cream, or a handful of peanuts or cashews.....or a 9bar.... Something that made me feel like I was eating something indulgent.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I do like a mixed nuts assortment when watching dvds and when I feel stressed.

A

AnnieC

I don't really have a lot of stress but if I do feel the need for a snack in the evening while watching the TV it is usually mixed nuts or if I have any some pork scratchings...I could get addicted to those I know they are hign in fat but I am a skinny minnie so both those and the nuts help to keep my weight stable

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Munchie food for me is eggs scrambled in butter.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A 40g bag of pork scratchings and maybe another bag. They have now become my choice for snacking on now.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Choc mug cake. See recipe below:
Individual chocolate pudding

Recipe makes 2

50g butter, melted in the microwave
3tbsp ground almonds
1 1/5 tbsp sweetner
1/4 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 squares 70% dark flavoured with orange chocolate
Or
1 square 90% chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp pecans

Melt the butter in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and divide into 2 mugs and nuke for 1 minute per mug.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Cheese and/or a handful of almonds or brazils.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangeiy since going low carb, I've got out of the habit of endless snacking I once had. A couple of squares of dark chocolate spread over day and/or cheese portion and half an apple are enough.. Before I'd eat a huge dinner of pasta and sauce and salad and cheese then have a ham baguette and cheese at bed with crisps. No wonder I was so overweight. But I was always hungry - and looking back it never felt like greed but genuine belly gnawing , light headed must eat hunger.