Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
While dogs appear to have this capability, cats don't have a clue!

IMHO they do .... they just don't display it anywhere near as well as a dog ... and to take that to its logical conclusion, some dog breeds are way ahead of others. Don't write off cats.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My daughters cat Pebbles,( who's 5) stuck by me when I was really bad and I'm sure she has a helped just as much with me getter better and on the road to a better recovery.:cat: :happy:

RRB

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
... and I should have said I can't stand cats :) But seen them do it, so that's enough for moi

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
:( aawww that's sad ......... and that's all from me too :cool:

Best wishes RRB:)

Hey RRB :) Got them next door with a disabled neighbour (Burmese sister / brother) and they LOVE me as I HAD to look after them from birth ..... took me 60 years to like them but only these two :)

Gimme a shi tzu any day of the week. I want someone / thing that "talks" back to me in a way a cat can't. Saddest day of my life was waving goodbye to my "Molly". Ask the Brunneria :) But hey, we're all biased.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey RRB :) Got them next door with a disabled neighbour (Burmese sister / brother) and they LOVE me as I HAD to look after them from birth ..... took me 60 years to like them but only these two :)

Gimme a shi tzu any day of the week. I want someone / thing that "talks" back to me in a way a cat can't. Saddest day of my life was waving goodbye to my "Molly". Ask the Brunneria :) But hey, we're all biased.
@Mike D ...I have a cat called Molly:cat:....just blown my cover here :eek:.....and she "talks" back to me....she is a very vocal cat and will miaow loudly in reply when I ask her something...have no idea what she is saying though:rolleyes:
...is having a conversation with a cat the first sign of madness...:wacky:

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The cat knows, but the dog "talks back" and then some. I used to fake being ill with Molly just to test her reaction ... and that was after 3 months of owning her. The response was incredible ... I miss her so much even after all these years.

As they say in the classics, call a dog and it will come, call a cat and it will ask you leave a note :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The main difference as far as i can tell is that you can train a dog to do something, a cat will train you to do something.

A cat will certainly talk back to you, but normally to try and tell you what it wants, or to give a mouthful of abuse.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The main difference as far as i can tell is that you can train a dog to do something, a cat will train you to do something.

A cat will certainly talk back to you, but normally to try and tell you what it wants, or to give a mouthful of abuse.

My pebbles doesn't, she's a lovely cat, chirps away, licking my hand, wonderful animal and she did help me so much with my still ongoing recovery. Just to add the OP is asking whether animal's can sense illness, and yes, Pebbles did :cat: :joyful: I taught her to sit on command and then sit up, she was number 3 Cat, but I didn't really want another animal, but she made me fall in love with her and I love her and Harley ( 15) to bits <3

RRB

Reactions: 8 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Haha true! I had two cats who went to live with my parentsxwhen I moved away, and in no time ruled the roost. If one of them lay on a chair, my mother would sit on the floor rather than move them :) ^.^

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Mike D ...I have a cat called Molly:cat:....just blown my cover here :eek:.....and she "talks" back to me....she is a very vocal cat and will miaow loudly in reply when I ask her something...have no idea what she is saying though:rolleyes:
Was thinking earlier after I typed this.....sometimes I get more response by talking to the cat....:eek::cat:..
..(those who know my situation may understand why I say this)....
...perhaps I am just going mad...:banghead::arghh::wacky:....

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Recent events here have got me thinking once again about how animals can sense what is going on perhaps more than we give them credit for....
....a couple of weeks ago I took the decision that my relationship here at home has come to an end and that for my own future happiness we would have to separate...as a temporary measure I moved into the spare room until such time my now ex partner moves out..
..immediately I did this my three cats :cat::cat::cat:have all been coming to sleep in with me....in fact Molly won't leave my side and insists sleeping on the bed with me all night...to the point that I cannot move or turn over...she is there next to my hip sound asleep as I type this...
...just thought how very telling this is and also what a great comfort in a period of turmoil within my life...:)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
...just thought how very telling this is
Our cat is so aware of something being up that when we go on holiday, we can't retrieve suitcases, or make a pile of freshly ironed clothing up (ironing normally done as and when) until after the cat has been taken to the cattery.

Apart from that she doesn't show signs of being aware of our medical status although she keeps out of my when I hobble around (TKR 5 weeks ago).

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish you all the best @Molly56 - it sounds like difficult decisions have been made and the immediate future isn't likely to be all that pleasant. But the important bit is that you made a decision and have put it into action. Not making any decision is far worse, just taking that first step makes you feel a whole lot better.

We've had 4 cats over the years and two especially were exceptionally good at pastoral care - always knew when you were under the weather or needed a bit of TLC and wouldn't leave your side - even a good sob over a soft film would send the little girl kitty into her best care mode, climbing up your chest to snuzzle your face and make it better. She hated any of us being unhappy or even raised voices - even horsing around she'd try to get between you to make it right.

I was posting in another thread a few days ago that I'd had to go and stop at my parents home recently as they were both very poorly and my sister and I and her Miniature Snautzer slept in the lounge and I was woken one morning by the dog nudging me and I could hear my sister tell her to go back to bed and that I didn't want to play, which she normally responded to, but this morning she was insistent and kept sniffing at my face and nudging me gently with her nose, eventually putting her paws up onto my camp bed and making little noises. I opened my eyes to tell her it was okay and realised that the light had a green cast, which seems to be my pre-cursor to blacking out with a hypo and I was indeed at 3.2. So she clearly knew something was amiss and others in that thread had had similar experiences with their dogs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You feed em. Your just a source of food. Cats rub scent on you. You're their's... Your warm in bed.? They go where it's comfy...
I got a dog. The coat I use to walk it is on a door. It sees me remove the coat & guess what?! It's a ruddy psychic..!! Lol put the coat on a chair? & the "force" is not so strong with this one.. Body language & to a certain extent, tone & inflection in the voice.. He sees me with a bag for work. & i'm gonna be gone longer than he likes.... Certain objects & smells give the clues.. So does the time of day with routine...

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You feed em. Your just a source of food. Cats rub scent on you. You're their's... Your warm in bed.? They go where it's comfy...
I got a dog. The coat I use to walk it is on a door. It sees me remove the coat & guess what?! It's a ruddy psychic..!! Lol put the coat on a chair? & the "force" is not so strong with this one.. Body language & to a certain extent, tone & inflection in the voice.. He sees me with a bag for work. & i'm gonna be gone longer than he likes.... Certain objects & smells give the clues.. So does the time of day with routine...
@Jaylee ...you could be right....it is me that feeds them...but think it is something different to that...will have to see what happens over the next few weeks as my domestic situation changes and my now ex partner moves out...
....am just hoping that they are equally accepting of the new man in my life when he gets to come round....but if they can sense that I am happy then guess they will be too....only time will tell....:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee ...you could be right....it is me that feeds them...but think it is something different to that...will have to see what happens over the next few weeks as my domestic situation changes and my now ex partner moves out...
....am just hoping that they are equally accepting of the new man in my life when he gets to come round....but if they can sense that I am happy then guess they will be too....only time will tell....:)

The guy will walk in & smell different. The cats will rub & mark him. If he rejects being "rubbed" or worse is in any way cruel to em? The rejection or cruelty with repel them & he will either be less accepted by the cats, or avoided as a threat...
There is no "peranormal activity" involved..

My dog. Was mistreated. He thinks he's mine. Actually my mum's dog. Long story, she has memory issues. & I made a promise to my mum.. Anything happens to her? The dog has a home with me...
The dog was rescued by my mum from an abusive background as a pup.. He hated my guts when we first met 11/12 years ago? He didn't trust blokes.. Now we're best buddies..

image.jpeg

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

No Molly, it's intelligent beings communicating with one another :DPebbles cat chirps at me all the time and I chat away to her, she is so clever and seems to understand everything. Now, elderly Harley cat .................. well, all he wants is his food and he lets me know about it too :cat::cat: