My GAD results

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tibi, As I said on an earlier post people in the normal population can have GAD antibodies.
here are a couple of results from previous people on this forum who have had positive GAD results
I'm not very overweight (my BMI is normal, though I have too much belly fat) and relatively young, they were running Islet and GAD antibody tests... the Islet came back as normal, but the GAD - which has only just come back - is 1682. The normal range is 0 - 5.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/anti-gad-antibodies-high-levels.63318/
My GAD test was over 2,000. This was done last November.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/anti-gad-antibodies-high-levels.63318/
In these results we don't know the units ( so as I said difficult to compare) but the first one has a lab reference value 0-5.Asyou can see this persons results were considerably greater, not lower.

Your doctors are to be commended for actually doing the tests, many people struggle to get a doctor to do antibody tests. Your tiredness though isn't normal and you do need to talk to him/her about this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. A low c-peptide is an indicator of T1 but the test is not that reliable and if your insulin was quite low you would be quite diabetic and needing medication already? My GAD was 0.31 which I have always taken as negative. It is always possible you have a some trace GAD anti-bodies but it is early days. As Bluetit says, your BMI is quite high and would be an indicator of T2. It is always possible to have both, of course. Your LCHF diet does look good so this should help you lose weight and make the diagnosis clearer. So, keep up the LCHF and aim to get the weight down to a BMI of, say, 25 or less.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do use salt, I knew about this but thank you for the tip.

elaine77

I'm not a doctor but from what I can glean I would say that if you do have diabetes it is not autoimmune. My GAD antibodies were 1300 at diagnosis and others on this forum with LADA have been well above 500. C-pep doesn't rly suggest much as it's not a measure of actual insulin as insulin gets used immediately as it is released and so there can be a number of isolated reasons why you could have a low c-pep.

Low c-pep AND high gad AND symptoms AND high levels AND weight loss all indicate autoimmune diabetes but just c-pep alone would never be enough for a diagnosis.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Elaine. I actually gained back a few kg so I have no idea what is happening to me. I am a total mess my prostate is inflamed from all the urinating, my blo9d sugar is under 120 mg/dl aĺl day eating low carb....