Im sorry @shedges Ive just pasted
Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins
3grams carbs and 12grams protein per slice.
Also good toasted and freezes well

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found a recipe that I thought i would share with any chocoholics out there. I haven't tried it yet but I probably will tomorrow, let me know your thoughts.

Fresh Cream Chocolate Truffles
Makes 36
150ml (5floz) fresh double cream

350g (12oz) plain chocolate broken up
30ml (2 tbsp) liquor
25g (1 oz) butter
extra chocolate for dipping
grated white and plain chocolate for decoration

1: Heat the cream in a small pan until boiling, remove from heat and stir in the chocolate until melted.
2: Stir in the liquor and butter, stir until butter has melted.
3: Freeze until firm enough to hold its shape (about 20 minutes)
4: Using a melon baller, scoop out rounds and place on non stick baking paper and chill until firm.
5: Roll or dip each truffle in a little melted chocolate.
6: Roll a third in grated white chocolate, a third in grated plain chocolate and leave a third plain.
7: Place in paper cases and store in the fridge.

That is how it appears in the book, I don't like liquors so I will be finding other flavourings, and I guess for us the darker the chocolate the better, maybe coating in cocoa powder instead of more chocolate will work with out making them too bitter.

I think I will be trying a third quantity and just making 12 rather than the full 36 in one go.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first batch is made and is in the fridge cooling again. I used Green and Blacks Maya Gold as I had some in and its a mild plain chocolate, about 60%, so not as dark as some but does have a nice hint of orange flavour and spices. As mentioned I don't like liquor so just chocolate, cream, and butter, with cocoa powder to coat. I made a third the recipe and divided it into twelve. but two into the cases, looked at the size, counted how many cases i had and then divided the rest again to make a total of 22 small ones.

From the little bit I tried while doing them, they are incredibly rich so I think half size ones will be enough, if not I can always have a second and not feel guilty.

I think some darker chocolate and some peppermint flavouring will be on the shopping list nest weekend.

jecartas

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
Ingredients

2 tbsp vegetable oil
150g green beans, trimmed and chopped
1 large courgette, chopped into chunks
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
500g jar tomato sauce for lasagne with roasted onion and garlic
6 lasagne sheets (weighing about 100g)
470g jar creamy sauce for lasagne
100g grated mozzarella cheese
Basil leaves, to garnish

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas 5.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and add the green beans, courgette, red onion and peppers.

Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened – about 4-5 minutes.
Add the cherry tomatoes and stir in the tomato sauce for lasagne with roasted onion and garlic.

Tip half the vegetable mixture into a large rectangular baking dish, measuring about 26cm x 20cm.
Arrange 3 lasagne sheets on top, then spread half the creamy sauce for lasagne over them.
Repeat the layers, then sprinkle the grated mozzarella cheese evenly over the surface.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked and golden brown.

Allow to stand for a few minutes, then serve, garnished with a few basil leaves.

блиндирани врати вратиметалнивратиметални пощенски кутииметални решеткирешетки

Last edited by a moderator:

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everybody,

Here's a recipe for Oat Bran Bread - very tasty and with a low GL.

Ingredients:
Bicarbonate of soda 1 teaspoon
Oat bran 227 grams (8oz)
Salt 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk 284 ml (or if not available 125ml milk + 125ml yogurt)
wheat bran 2 tablespoons (I ground down some All Bran in a coffee mill)
Instructions:
Mix all dry ingredients then add buttermilk (or yogurt and milk) to make a spongy light mixture
add more milk if too dry.
Lightly oil a small 1lb bread tin - fill with mixture.
Smooth top and put in pre heated oven at 200c for 20-25 mins
Turn out onto a rack. Slice thinly when cool. Delicious!

That's it - simple. Hope you like it.

Filmskate

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd try a sort of lasagne without pasta.
First I made a bolognese type sauce with beef mince, onion, garlic, red wine, chopped tomatoes, basil, thyme and mushrooms
Then I put slices of aubergine in a baking tray and poured the sauce over.
Next, thinly sliced celeriac and thicker slices of courgette to cover.
The top layer was a mixture of pre-cooked grated cauliflower and cheddar cheese, half-and-half, plus leftover cream cheese, yoghurt and double cream, and finally 2 beaten eggs.
I spread that on and put it back in the oven for about half an hour, then cooked it for another 10 minutes covered with foil to stop the top getting too brown.
I learned that aubergine soaks up fat like a sponge and it needed a lot of extra salt. Also the celeriac could have done with being softened first. Apart from that it was quite nice.
Any observations?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd try a sort of lasagne without pasta.
First I made a bolognese type sauce with beef mince, onion, garlic, red wine, chopped tomatoes, basil, thyme and mushrooms
Then I put slices of aubergine in a baking tray and poured the sauce over.
Next, thinly sliced celeriac and thicker slices of courgette to cover.
The top layer was a mixture of pre-cooked grated cauliflower and cheddar cheese, half-and-half, plus leftover cream cheese, yoghurt and double cream, and finally 2 beaten eggs.
I spread that on and put it back in the oven for about half an hour, then cooked it for another 10 minutes covered with foil to stop the top getting too brown.
I learned that aubergine soaks up fat like a sponge and it needed a lot of extra salt. Also the celeriac could have done with being softened first. Apart from that it was quite nice.
Any observations?
Ooh. That sounds fantastic.

:happy:

I do a potato free moussaka, with 'bolognese type' tomato onion mince thing on the bottom with layers of thinly sliced courgettes and aubergine above, with blobs of cream cheese on top, scattered with cheddar and Parmesan. The mince needs cooking first, then the whole thing gets baked slowly until the cheese is golden and crispy.

I know it isn't really a moussaka, but it is very low carb, easy, and a complete meal (if you just get your veg to meat proportions right)

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, ok, I see you put the sauce on the bottom so you get a veg sandwich with cheese on top. Sounds great.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fairy Cakes Makes 12, 0.1 Carbs per cake, 85 Calories per Cake

Ingredients

2 Eggs
90 grams Ground Almonds
110 grams of Stevia/Truvia
1 tablespoon of Milk
10 grams Baking Powder
60 grams Butter

Mix butter & Stevia together until light & fluffy (goes a pale colour)

Beat 2 eggs together in a separate jug

Slowly beat the eggs gradually into the mixture

Add ground almonds & baking powder into the mixture gradually

Add 1 tablespoon of milk

Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and all the ingredients are mixed together, don't worry if it's a bit lumpy.

Divide evenly into 12 baking cases

Cook in centre of the oven at 180deg Centigrade until golden brown (approximately 15 minutes)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1419173652.611211.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1419173618.105234.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1419173618.105234.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 736

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apple 'muffins'

I'm not sure if you'd call these muffins, but I bake them in the muffin form. :D I was given this recipe by a friend who has a diabetic kid. It became quickly popular between my family and friends, and I usually have to chase people out of the kitchen so the muffins would have a chance to cool down. It was the first time I used erythritol, and I was pleasantly surprised - no impact on BG, no upset stomach at all, no unpleasant aftertaste, and quite similar to normal sugar. :)

6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
3 table spoons of erythritol (or other sweetener you use) - you can adjust it to your taste and/or sweetness of apple
140 grams of grinded apple
6 table spoons of almond mould (finely ground blanched almonds)
1 table spoon of grinded flaxseed
1 table spoon of cocoa powder (I always use Dutch-processed type)
1 tea spoon of cinnamon
1 tea spoon of baking soda.

Preheat the oven.

Beat the yolks with the sweetener until you get light frothy cream. Slowly add all the others ingredients except egg whites. Beat the egg whites into stiff cream (so stiff it won't fell down if you turn the bowl upside down). Gently stir into the dough. Fill in the muffin forms, Bake.

I don't know how you count carbs; by the system we use in Slovakia, only apples would be counted, as 2 units = 20 grams. I usually have 15 muffins from this dose.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
The original moussaka was always layers of mince with onions, toms and tom puree, and aubergine then a topping of greek yogurt with an egg beaten in it. The topping rises and goes golden

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pasta sauce
1 yellow pepper de-seeded and cut up finely
1 med onion, finely chopped
few slices of Danish salami, cut into slivers
little olive oil
crushed clove of garlic
1 courgette, cut up fine( quartered lengthways, then sliced.)
can chopped tomatoes
knob of butter
seasoning.
Heavy bottomed pan
Method
Fry onion and pepper in olive oil. Don't allow to brown Add garlic when nearly done( don't burn the garlic!)
Add salami slivers cook for a bit and add tomatoes.
Now simmer gently foe about 5 minutes until flavours develop and blend. Taste,then Season with salt and if it needs it, a little sweetener.
When done, add a knob of butter
Serve with Dream fields pasta.

I've not heard of Dreamfields pasta so had a look to see what it is, I love pasta! Came across this which doesn't look good! http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 6472 TANDOORI CHICKEN
This will make 3-4 servings depending how you like your portions I split it by 3

Ingredients:

Small carton natural yogurt
Juice of 1/2 lemon juice
1/2 an onion minced or very finely sliced
4 bulbs garlic minced or you can use garlic powder about tablespoon
2inch piece of minced ginger or you can used ground ginger again about tablespoon
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon garam masala
2-3 tablespoons paprika
1-2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried coriander leaf
11/2 teaspoon ceyenne pepper this makes it quite hot and spicy - adjust all the dried spices to your own taste
Teaspoon of sea salt
6 large boneless and skinless chicken thighs used whole or you can cut them smaller, you can use chicken breasts but I find them a bit dry

Mix everything but the chicken together in a glass bowl.
Add your chicken and marinate overnight in the fridge stirring occasionally
Take chicken out of the marinade and either grill under a hot grill for 5 mins each side or until cooked through thoroughly. Or place on a rack over a baking tray and cook in the oven on about 200 for 25-30 mins or till cooked

This won't be the bright red that you get in the Indian as they tend to add food colouring, you can add a couple of drops of red colouring to the marinade if you like but I prefer the more natural colour

Serve with whatever you prefer I make the cauliflower bhajee

CAULIFLOWER BHAJEE

I never make this the same way twice, I just use the spices I have in at the time, as long as it's spicy and curried it's lovely

1 large cauliflower cut into florets,
you can use frozen but I find it a bit wet, if you do defrost it first and pat it with some kitchen paper to remove some of the moisture
1 thinly sliced onion
1Teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of corriander seeds or ground corriander
1 teaspoon of ground cummin
1 tablespoon of garam masala
1/2 finely diced chilli or teaspoon of chilli powder
1 tablespoon of turmeric
Any other spices you fancy really
Salt and pepper to taste

Using whatever you like to use for frying,fry the fennel seeds,corriander seeds and diced chilli if you use them for about a minute, add the onion and cauliflower and fry for about 5 minutes, you want to get some charring on the cauliflower.

Mix the remaining spices with about 50ml of warm water to make a paste, add this to the pan and mix in to coat all the cauliflower. You can add more water if you feel it's a bit dry but don't make it too wet

At this stage you can add a couple of chopped tomatoes, or peas, I used some parboiled green beans in this pic as I had them in the fridge.

Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked, I keep a bite in my cauliflower cause I like the texture.

I added a very small amount about a tablespoon of creme fresh because serving it with the tandoori I wanted a wetter bhajee but that's personal choice

Put into a glass dish and put into a hot oven for about 10 minutes to get a crispy top

And that's it! It's easy to do and it can all be prepared and reheated in the oven just make sure it's thouroughy heated through

Thank you, will certainly give this a go :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rock Buns

An old favourite that I can now enjoy again, I've adapted the recipe from a fairly normal one and this seems to work well.

Ingredients
2 cups Ground Almonds
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup Stevia (Canderel Green)
2 tsp mixed spice (I am thinking that it might need 3 tsp, but I like my rock buns spicy and the almond seems to mask the flavour)
2 tsp ginger
3/4 cup butter (175g if your butter is the type that comes in a block marked in 50g sections)
1 cup dried raisins
2 eggs
1 - 2 tbsp. milk if necessary.

Mix all dry ingredients except raisins in a bowl.
rub in butter
mix in raisins
mix in eggs and milk if needed. (The mix does come out wetter than normal rock buns which is quite a dry mix.)

Spoon on to baking tray (I normally make a dozen, the original recipe said to make 8 but I think those would be too big)

Cook at gas mark 5, 190C, for 15 - 20 minutes until just starting to turn golden. (oven should be preheated)

Cool on rack.

Individually wrapped in cling film and stored in an air tight container they will stay good for about a week, or they will freeze to keep them longer (or if you are like me, to stop you eating them all at once)

I know the flour and raisins both contain carbs but I find a bit of flour helps the consistency and you can't have rock buns without the fruit.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spicy Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:
3 tomatoes, skinned.
Olive oil.
Canned Chickpeas, drained.
Garlic powder
Hot chilli powder
Mediterranean style herbs eg basil, oregano etc.
Handful of sweetcorn
White cabbage, raw
1 stick of celery
Water

Method:
Chop the skinned tomatoes into fairly small cubes.

Heat about 1 tablespoon of Olive oil in a saucepan and fry tomatoes until the cubes break down into a "mush" type of consistency.
Start adding the powders. I love garlic, so I put a heaped teaspoon of the garlic powder in.

Same goes for the chili powder for me - I put a heaped teaspoon of chili powder in.

Season with freshly milled black pepper, and I buy a "chili & garlic" grinder from B&M, so a good grind of that. It also contains salt and is just enough to season the sauce.

Add the sweetcorn - I use frozen sweetcorn, and the temperature of the sauce defrosts the kernels, so no need to pre-cook them.

Stir the sauce all up and add to the drained chickpeas.

Leave to cool and add the cabbage which is shredded and the celery which is chopped finely.

Cool down the finished salad in the fridge and serve.

Chickpeas are quite low on the glycemic load chart, and I ate half of the salad the other day, tested my BS an hour later, and it hadn't raised my blood sugar at all.
:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Would the chickpea salad go ok with salmon !! as part of the low carb/high fat diet.