Your experience of hypos?

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just curious as to other peoples experience of hypos and how your symptoms correlate with the reading on your glucometer?

I have had some really severe hypos recently where my readings have come up as 1.7, 1.9, 2.2, LO( so less than 1) symptom wise, in each case, I was extremely sweaty, tremulous, chest tightness and feeling generally awful. However I'm slightly surprised that I got so low without losing consciousness/ seizing/ becoming acutely confused?
I'm just wondering what experience everyone else has had and whether hypos present differently depending on the individual?

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi Bellabella,
Had my worst hypo experience on Friday night everyone was out I just felt tired so sat watching tv next thing I knew my young daughter was hammering at the front door somehow it woke me and when I tested I was 2.0 I just didn't know what was going on the sweats, tingling, chest tiredness and brig so cold and not being able to focus properly, between us I must of ate and drunk so much carbs after an hour I felt rough still the aftermath. Bloods were 6.4 so that seemed ok.
My Poor Poor daughter I think it really scared her it's been a long while since I've been like that.
I just haven't a clue what caused it ( but it's probably a miss calculation by me) as I never have a hypo like that next morning my bloods were 5.3 but just felt so exhausted :-(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just keep an eye on things, if you find that your hypo awareness symptoms are kicking in too late then you need to speak with your diabetes care team.

Hypo symptoms for me include a hunger feeling, feeling clammy and needing to go to the loo for a pee, if it drops too low I feel as if I'm wearing lead boots.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I know and recognise my symptoms and signs extremely well .
Feel ravenous hungry , accompanied by wet sweat in head,neck,face .

Then will shake in tremors style , then go fuzzy headed with lack of
focus and concentration .
Gets much harder to open a packet of glucose tablets or mini pack of
jelly babies .
Then start lolling my head about and mumbling ansd slurring words
like I am "well drunk" .

Have to treat myself with some form of sugar ASAP pre this next stage .
As the next stage is staggering about severely unable to walk or talk
before wanting to lie down and have a lonnnnng sleep .

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Just keep an eye on things, if you find that your hypo awareness symptoms are kicking in too late then you need to speak with your diabetes care team.

Hypo symptoms for me include a hunger feeling, feeling clammy and needing to go to the loo for a pee, if it drops too low I feel as if I'm wearing lead boots.

I normally have a good awareness the only thing I can think is I was tired anyway and half asleep and this just happened too quickly for my liking. I don't hypo that much and I start to feel aware around 3.5-4.5 but when I'm there I'm already taking something because I'm already starving at that point

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I normally have a good awareness the only thing I can think is I was tired anyway and half asleep and this just happened too quickly for my liking. I don't hypo that much and I start to feel aware around 3.5-4.5 but when I'm there I'm already taking something because I'm already starving at that point

Sorry my previous post was in reply to the OP (bellabella).

Sometimes these things happen out of the blue with no rhyme or reason, lucky that your daughter called when she did.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just curious as to other peoples experience of hypos and how your symptoms correlate with the reading on your glucometer?

I have had some really severe hypos recently where my readings have come up as 1.7, 1.9, 2.2, LO( so less than 1) symptom wise, in each case, I was extremely sweaty, tremulous, chest tightness and feeling generally awful. However I'm slightly surprised that I got so low without losing consciousness/ seizing/ becoming acutely confused?
I'm just wondering what experience everyone else has had and whether hypos present differently depending on the individual?

Hi bellabella,

My experience of Hypos is dependent upon whether I am in Ketosis or not.

When I am in Ketosis, the number on my blood-sugar monitor does not correlate with the way that my brain functions. Can be a "normal" number, can be a "low" number, but my brain will be functioning fine.

When I am not in Ketosis, the number on my blood-sugar monitor correlates with the way that my brain functions. A "normal" number means normal brain function, a "low" number means Hypo warning signs or a Hypo.

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: 4 people

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi bellabella,

My experience of Hypos is dependent upon whether I am in Ketosis or not.

When I am in Ketosis, the number on my blood-sugar monitor does not correlate with the way that my brain functions. Can be a "normal" number, can be a "low" number, but my brain will be functioning fine.

When I am not in Ketosis, the number on my blood-sugar monitor correlates with the way that my brain functions. A "normal" number means normal brain function, a "low" number means Hypo warning signs or a Hypo.

Regards :)
Antony
Antony that's really interesting. I usually low carb but have slipped off the bandwagon the last few weeks mainly because work has been so busy that I end up just craving chips and bread rolls and all things starch,which ironically had coincided with the severe hypos. When lchf is in full swing, I get a mild tremor and maybe a bit clammy but nothing more severe than that

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My experience of continuous hypos are as follows, mild headache,
Tremors,
Nervousness,
Mood swing,
Sweaty and warm,
Confusion
Anger, rage,
Hunger, mooching,
Fatigue, lethargy,apathy
Light headedness
Amnesia
Anxiety
Tremors
Sleep deprevation
Frequent urination
Depression
Crying for no good reason
Isolation
And blurred vision constantly.

These are the extreme conditions of frequent and uncontrolled blood glucose levels and the constant hypos.

The worst of it all was you just went on and on in a state of severe funk! You didn't notice the time going by and unaware of many things going on.

I didn't have a life then, just an existance!!

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually know When have a hypo as I get very shakey - even my voice becomes tremulous - and I sweat profusely, usually the back of my neck. I've experienced this even in the low 4's.