Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
[QUOTE="DonnaC-T, post: 712012, member: 80932" do you guys keep them in the original cases? X[/QUOTE]

Keep my lantus pen in the original case, the NovoPen Echo I just keep in my Frio wallet (but not activated) as I find the case for the Novo Pens are too fiddly.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Keep all my insulin pens in a bright snazzy colourful pencil case .
Easier to find and locate in my handbag this way amongst
rest of my stuff in it ! ;)

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
@ohitsnicola - Yep, the Novopen Echo is the best for anyone who doesn't have to inject more than 30 units in one go. The half unit dosing is great, I use it all the time and it has a timer on the end the same as the 5.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's sad to be excited at all. People get excited about new phones etc and they don't keep them alive! I have the echo in blue and the junior star for Lantus in red. Both half units. I'm not a child either :) do you guys keep them in the original cases? X

Nope to the original cases ! I found them bulky, awkward and boring :rolleyes: I keep mine in an insulin pen roll that I found on Etsy, covered with Frog Princes :D

Signy

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's sad to be excited at all. People get excited about new phones etc and they don't keep them alive! I have the echo in blue and the junior star for Lantus in red. Both half units. I'm not a child either :) do you guys keep them in the original cases? X

I have the same pens! I am a grown man myself and 30 units of Novorapid would likely kill me, I have never even had to inject double digits before haha so the 'kids' pen works very well on me.

I also use the Junior Star for my Lantus so i can fine tune that half unit for optimum control, i dont always use it but its nice to have the option. However, the Junior star is awful lol I even prefer the Lantus Solo Star pens to the Junior star - which just feels flimsy and cheap in my hands, and has that weird cap notch so you have to put the cap on a certain way.... Plus it really looks childish, unlike the Echo, which looks just like the rest of the line but with a slightly cooler name even haha

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know what an accidental 10u of Novorapid does to me.... 30u doesn't bear thinking about....!

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I've got both pens in the Lantus case at the mo but I don't use the elastic to keep them on, far too fiddly. I'd like something that keeps everything in it. Just haven't found the right thing yet x

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep both of my pens in a Novo Nordisk case that has 2 pen slots and a mesh pocket i can keep about 15 needles in as well. I use the elastics because i found that the pens have those pocket clips like normal pens, so i position the elastic under that so i can just unzip my case and pull the pen body out while the lid stays hooked to the elastic and then i can slid it back in after use.. So far it works great.

Reactions: 2 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NovoPen5 is a pen for elderly people who always forgets if he takes a dose. when and how much :cat:

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
NovoPen5 is a pen for elderly people who always forgets if he takes a dose. when and how much :cat:

Well that may be true, but anyone can forget no matter what age they are, that is why these pens are invaluable.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I've got a Novopen 5 with built in digital timer.
Ordered it from Cart100 in China.
Was a bit sceptical, would it turn up, would it be a cheep copy etc:-

It arrived quicker than expected.
It appears to be the genuine item
Not only that but they also sent me a digital thermometer, some injection wipes and a box of needles to fit, all FOC.

I'm a happy bunny, I now have something to check on when I can't remember if I did my jab.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only slight downside with the Novopen5 from China, the instruction book is in Chinese,
But the pen is simple, was easy enough to figur out without instructions!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only slight downside with the Novopen5 from China, the instruction book is in Chinese,
But the pen is simple, was easy enough to figur out without instructions!

Oh dear, are you not UK based, if you are then you can get the Novo 5 and NovoEcho pens on prescription, have a read of following which has a guide on using the pen if there is still anything your unsure of:

http://www.novonordisk.com/diabetes_care/insulin_pens_and_needles/novopen_5/default.asp

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, are you not UK based, if you are then you can get the Novo 5 and NovoEcho pens on prescription, have a read of following which has a guide on using the pen if there is still anything your unsure of:

http://www.novonordisk.com/diabetes_care/insulin_pens_and_needles/novopen_5/default.asp
Jersey is not quite the UK but very closely related and generally everything available in UK is Avalable here also.
However Novopen5 as far as I could establish has not been released to the UK or Jersey market, (maybe you have better information and inside knowledge in how to source one in the UK that I dont?) as far as I could establish it is only the Echo is Available In the UK.

The 5 looks to be only Avalable in four EU countries and China.
I tried ordering one from suppliers in every EU country that sells them, all refused to send them outside the country borders.
Finally resourted to China to get one.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jersey is not quite the UK but very closely related and generally everything available in UK is Avalable here also.
However Novopen5 as far as I could establish has not been released to the UK or Jersey market, (maybe you have better information and inside knowledge in how to source one in the UK that I dont?) as far as I could establish it is only the Echo is Available In the UK.

The 5 looks to be only Avalable in four EU countries and China.
I tried ordering one from suppliers in every EU country that sells them, all refused to send them outside the country borders.
Finally resourted to China to get one.

Unsure about the NovoPen 5 being available, but the Echo is much the same pen as the 5 as far as I can tell, does the 5 dial up in half units like the Echo, I found this to be extremely useful when fine tuning bg control.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All Novopens go up in 60 single clicks/ units to a maximum of 60 units?
The Novo is different it still has 60 steps but as they are half units for children the maximum total is 30 units.
The Novopen5 is the adult version of the Echo in that like all the previous pens it counts in single units up to 60.

The Echo for children is available in the UK
The 5 for adults is not available

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All Novopens go up in 60 single clicks/ units to a maximum of 60 units?
The Novo is different it still has 60 steps but as they are half units for children the maximum total is 30 units.
The Novopen5 is the adult version of the Echo in that like all the previous pens it counts in single units up to 60.

The Echo for children is available in the UK
The 5 for adults is not available

Not so sure the NovoPen Echo is designed solely for children MoonSpirit, are you getting confused with the Novopen Junior that is designed for children and also dials up in half units?

Thanks for the info on the Novopen 5 , wasn't sure if it was a half unit pen.

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Soooooooo I am on the pump but I do need a new insulin pen...and I have seen the new novopen 5 and well it looks pretty cool and snazzy ( im sooo sad haha) anyway, is it pretty much the same as the NovoPen 4 would my cartridges still fit etc. And who would I go to see to get one???
How are you getting on with the pump? My two year old son is getting fitted with it in April x

D

Deleted member 83869

How are you getting on with the pump? My two year old son is getting fitted with it in April x
Brilliantly! Hba1c has gone from 114 in october 13 to 58 now....bit **** at the moment though but that is down to christmas period and that is great! Not putting a downer on it but how would it work for small children? wouldn't they tug and pull at it? Good luck though x