Best Ever Christmas Present

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Definitely for me, it was my engagement ring which is now 53 years old (see RRByou are not the oldest) I met my late hubby in the September and he proposed at Christmas, we married a year later and had forty lovely happy years before he passed away a few years ago. My ring is still my most treasured possession and the best present I ever had, things were much different in the 60's Don't remember anyone having diabetese then ha ha!

Reactions: 12 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My gorgeous emerald cut diamond engagement ring - hubby proposed Christmas eve to me .
Dec 24th at 9pm 1983 ...

Its engraved in my mind too .
Certain gifts or things stay forever in our minds and memories . :joyful:

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My family bought me a machine for me to test my own INR (blood thickness) so that I could get it right ready for going into hospital for a heart procedure. If it had been too thick (which it was 2 weeks before the due date of the op) I would have had to have it delayed by around 3 months. When I had fully recovered from the procedure 5 months later, I started to live again. Definitely the best Christmas present ever!

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A bike in Christmas 1962, when I was 7, however that was the worst winter on record and didn't get to ride it for a few months.
I have had some great pressies from my relatives especially my kids and their partners.
Maybe I appreciate it more cos I didn't have much as a kid. A banana or chocolate was special for me as a kid!

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This isn't a gift I received myself, but I saw Father Christmas outside Tesco's yesterday and it brought back this memory. I hope you don't mind me sharing it.

One Christmas when one son was 4 and the other 8 months old, I was struggling to get everything done in time. My mother was in hospital recovering from a hip operation, my elder son had had a bad asthma attack a few days before and was still taking steroids, and I had shingles.

I went shopping for groceries for my Mum and Dad and outside the supermarket there was Mrs Santa (Helping hubby, because he was very busy that year) .. I only had enough cash on me to pay for one child so I paid for my eldest, knowing that the baby would be quite happy just being there with his brother. I had just worn through one of the knees in my jeans and was slim then (8 stones 10 pounds), I was wearing 'grunge' and holey jeans way before anyone else!

Anyway, Mrs Santa obviously thought I was too poor to pay for both of them (as opposed to too busy to queue at a cash machine) and she gave the present to my eldest and then a tiny teddy to the baby. I explained I hadn't paid, but she just smiled and said "Merry Christmas". You should have seen the look of delight on my baby's face. I had never seen him smile quite like that, young children's faces are so expressive aren't they? He held onto that teddy carefully all the way to the car.

So that was a great present for my son and also for me, seeing him so filled with joy at receiving it.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
This isn't a gift I received myself, but I saw Father Christmas outside Tesco's yesterday and it brought back this memory. I hope you don't mind me sharing it.

One Christmas when one son was 4 and the other 8 months old, I was struggling to get everything done in time. My mother was in hospital recovering from a hip operation, my elder son had had a bad asthma attack a few days before and was still taking steroids, and I had shingles.

I went shopping for groceries for my Mum and Dad and outside the supermarket there was Mrs Santa (Helping hubby, because he was very busy that year) .. I only had enough cash on me to pay for one child so I paid for my eldest, knowing that the baby would be quite happy just being there with his brother. I had just worn through one of the knees in my jeans and was slim then (8 stones 10 pounds), I was wearing 'grunge' and holey jeans way before anyone else!

Anyway, Mrs Santa obviously thought I was too poor to pay for both of them (as opposed to too busy to queue at a cash machine) and she gave the present to my eldest and then a tiny teddy to the baby. I explained I hadn't paid, but she just smiled and said "Merry Christmas". You should have seen the look of delight on my baby's face. I had never seen him smile quite like that, young children's faces are so expressive aren't they? He held onto that teddy carefully all the way to the car.

So that was a great present for my son and also for me, seeing him so filled with joy at receiving it.

Now that is wonderful :)