The office trailblazer!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say I really feel for diabetics such as yourself in the workplace. You meet prejudice and ignorance head-on daily, and have to deal with it. I'm protected as an OAP. I recall a work colleague years ago who used to have hypos regularly and had to be revived with sugar water. She was treated like the office drunk!
I know a couple who have both been diagnosed Type 1 and their lives still revolve around the food that's making them ill -- in fact, probably killing them. "I know I shouldn't, but ...." as the cake tin is opened again. Her partner is anxious at the thought of a world shortage of chocolate! Yet among their friends, as long as they keep eating the poison, nothing is amiss, and I'm the "odd" one out who munches bunny food. At least now I've gone LCHF I can join in some of the fried breakfasts :p

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread Kitty
I agree with Dianagrace that you are the trailblazer not sue so keep up the good work.

I am one of the owners and directors of my firm so right from the beginning I have told everyone there about my diabetes explained my diet choices they have watched me test and asked questions.
They have all been brilliant about it and quite supportive the only problems I have had is that on the odd occasion they forget I don't have sugar in my tea now lol.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think I went a bit the other way :oops:

Christmas Party at my Yoga class (nothing grand, just a bring your own food do for half an hour or so).
I turned down a nice slice of Spanish Omelette because it had loads of potatoes in it - said it wasn't a good idea because I was diabetic.
Various people chimed in saying the advice their relatives with Diabetes had been given (which made my remaining hair curl).
I gave a brief run down of the carbs->glycogen+insulin->fat cycle and they all nodded.
Then I noticed that nobody ate any of the mince pies.

Am I a bad person?

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 9 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just reply "Sue can eat whatever she wants because she doesn't care about her health, but I do, sorry but I will have to pass" lol

Likely this will cause sue to confront you, at which point you can ask her about her HbA1c and inform her that she is very much outside of the medically accepted range for "good control" and being outside of this range simply shows Sue that she does, by all definitions have 'poor control' of her diabetes and if she did care about her health she would take her disease seriously and work to fix this.

Remind her that ever day she may be free of complications until one day she won't be. You plan on preventing that day for a long time. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Robust but honest!