Fruits for diabetes

Kris80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

Can someone please advise how many fruits can I intake per day ? I have read all the fruits eating directly is good but how many ? Please let me know.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

Hello,

Can someone please advise how many fruits can I intake per day ? I have read all the fruits eating directly is good but how many ? Please let me know.

Do you have a meter? You will have to see what your personal reaction to fruit is. You will find that temperate fruits , rather than tropical, are usually the best and if you eat them as part of a meal rather than a snack then they will have less impact.

Reactions: 6 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi BH when you came on before your were given a link.
That tells you are really restricted to berries etc.

Neil

Really!! Restricted to berries, who says that? Its remotely possible I suppose that you might find that you can only eat berries but thats certainly not true for everyone or even the 'norm'.

Surely it is better to test foods for yourself and find out what you can eat and in what portion sizes. I eat an apple or a small /medium orange most days usually after lunch or diner with little effect to my bg levels. Not everyone will be able to of course but its a bit silly to tell people what they can and cant eat isnt it, we are all different and our diabetes is individual to us.

I would say Catherine's advice above is sound, everyone needs to find out their own personal reactions to fruits and all other carbs for that matter, there is no one size fits all, unless of course you want to be totally restricted and cut out many foods that you will probably be able to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm. When I was diagnosed my DN told me not to eat pears because they were the worst fruit for diabetics. I queried this because I thought bananas may have been the worst. I didn't have pears at all until joining this forum but then I learnt more about testing to find which foods were good or bad for us individually and I found that an occasional pear was fine. I agree that berries tend to be the best, but I need to be careful with the size of the portion with berries otherwise I would be tempted to consume them in large quantities.

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Portion control is important whatever fruit you choose to eat .
(see my signature snack size portions - more ideal with me )
As all fruits contain some natural sugars .
Too much fruits eaten - will raise the BG levels regardless ...

I nibble a little handful as snack sized portion .
Find it wont spike me greatly this way .
Small 'sliver' of melon , few grapes , or a chopped up apple with a slice of cheese
is a great supper nibble for me .
Few almonds with a bit of fruit is okay with myself .

Best to work out what works with yourselves - as we are all unique and individual .

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been a raw vegan at one time, I can't seem to give up fruit. Aside from berries, I watch the portion size and tend to eat fruit with cheese, nuts or with a small low-carb meal or snack, without a problem. Of course, the days of eating two large apples or a big fruit salad for lunch are over for me. Just test and see what works for you, as stated above. :)

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Some veggies eaten raw - taste quite delicious .
Raw cauli , peas popped out of their pods (real yummy)
Carrots sticks as a nibble are popular eaten raw .

Another way around things for a crunchy nibble fix ;)

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Some veggies eaten raw - taste quite delicious .
Raw cauli , peas popped out of their pods (real yummy)
Carrots sticks as a nibble are popular eaten raw .

Another way around things for a crunchy nibble fix ;)

Even though I'm not type 2, most days I eat raw vegetables, today it was some raw green pepper, yesterday,cucumber and pepper ( plus 3/4 plate of salad and fish cake)for dinner and Friday brocolli stalks, my teenager loves raw veg too, so delicious :)

RRB

Kris80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to all of you and definitely you all are helping me as I just diagnosed last week only and I m trying to see which food really best fits to me.

I was keeping an eye on meter for now whatever I eat... :)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really!! Restricted to berries, who says that? Its remotely possible I suppose that you might find that you can only eat berries but thats certainly not true for everyone or even the 'norm'.

Surely it is better to test foods for yourself and find out what you can eat and in what portion sizes. I eat an apple or a small /medium orange most days usually after lunch or diner with little effect to my bg levels. Not everyone will be able to of course but its a bit silly to tell people what they can and cant eat isnt it, we are all different and our diabetes is individual to us.

I would say Catherine's advice above is sound, everyone needs to find out their own personal reactions to fruits and all other carbs for that matter, there is no one size fits all, unless of course you want to be totally restricted and cut out many foods that you will probably be able to eat.

Hi Syd, I agree with everything you are saying, we are all individuals and different foods affect us in different ways, but I was quoting information which was in the link he was given previously, not telling him that he was only to have berries, but go to the link http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/ which would answer his questions including testing, which he had clearly not done when given the link before.
Hope this makes it clearer.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i was told that pears, bananas, apples and pineapples were the worst fruits to eat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i was told that pears, bananas, apples and pineapples were the worst fruits to eat
Yes ally, often they are. I think you were also advised to test with your meter as well to check what is OK for you?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly true for some people but exotic fruits, including pineapple, proably have the highest sugar of all and best kept small or an occasional treat.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Syd, I agree with everything you are saying, we are all individuals and different foods affect us in different ways, but I was quoting information which was in the link he was given previously, not telling him that he was only to have berries, but go to the link http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/ which would answer his questions including testing, which he had clearly not done when given the link before.
Hope this makes it clearer.

Mmm not really.

If you meant to say that "we are all individuals and different foods affect us in different ways" then perhaps you should have said that rather than "you are restricted to berries"!!

They seem like two very different statements to me, polar opposites in fact.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmm not really.

If you meant to say that "we are all individuals and different foods affect us in different ways" then perhaps you should have said that rather than "you are restricted to berries"!!

They seem like two very different statements to me, polar opposites in fact.

I do not want to get into this, I quoted the link, everything in context, I was trying to get him to look at the 'link' he had already been sent which he apparently had not looked at or read or he would not have asked the question, which stated, 'now you look at the link' http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/
Make your comments re the link which was sent to him.
Neil