A change in lifestyle (from 17 Dec 2014 onwards)

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the research I have done so far this seems to be a good place to belong, and learn to control my newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes

I was diagnosed following a fasting blood test with a level of 16 and am yet to visit the nurse for further information and testing - that will take place on 2 Jan.
In the meantime I have been given Metformin SR and advised to take 1 per day first week then 1 morning / 1 night until I see the doctor again mid-Jan

I have already made quite a number of changes to my diet as I had quite a sweet tooth and also a fairly carb-laden one too (so it appears on reflection)
Although the information about what I should try to eat/avoid has not yet been provided - I'm sure this information is due to be given by the nurse

For the past 18 months I have been cycling a lot and I will be using this as a primary form of exercise to help control my Diabetes. I foresee walking a lot more will be incorporated too, as my day-job makes for a fairly sedentary existence in the office.

I have a head full of questions and will be spending a lot of time reading up on and analysing the data provided here. I am well aware of the dangers of reading too much on a forum as I run one myself (Coffee Forums UK)

I hope to learn a lot and will share my experiences with others, to help other newly diagnosed Diabetics in the future to have a leg up on their road to controlling their condition.

Reactions: 15 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome. @daisy1 will be along sometime with some interesting information. I'm a coffeeholic. Any free samples. ??
santa-105.gif

Reactions: 6 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nuthead

Great to hear you're a coffeeholic. I'm afraid there's no cure for that either - just a quest to find even better ways to brew the coffee

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@cyclist

Hello cyclist and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Go ahead and ask all your questions and someone will be able to help. There are other cyclists on the forum too.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum :):)

RRB

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg To the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although the information about what I should try to eat/avoid has not yet been provided - I'm sure this information is due to be given by the nurse
Yes, I'm sure it will be. Let us know what you think after you've browsed Daisy's info pack.
Later on I'd be interested to hear what effect cycling and walking have on your blood sugar levels.
Must not .... look at .... Coffee Forums UK ... must get on with other work .... aaaaagh! Too late ....:facepalm:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good to see yet another newbie being proactive. Keep it up and you will reap the benefits. The likelyhood is that when you see your nurse you will be even more confused. Very few NHS nurses/doctors embrace the low carb route, but you will see from reading this forum that cutting carbs is the way to go. By how much is up to you. If you are interested in low carb, have a look at this thread, which you will find useful. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

Good luck on your journey.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Hi, welcome. Be prepared for this information to be in conflict with what may be recommended on here. Have a read of the thread linked in my sig below, especially the bit about NHS advice.

Good luck and ask any questions you want.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i too just found this forum. the people on here are fantastic and extremely supportive.. i have learnt so much in such a short space of time.

best single origin you've ever tasted??

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi msmi1970

The best single origin I have ever tasted with a Costa Rican honey-processed coffee.
I cannot recall the exact farm name at present though

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for your warm welcomes

I spent a good hour at the supermarket tonight checking out the Carbs (of which sugars) and found many items marked 'light' had higher carb/sugar levels

Is there a list of good brands / foods suitable for Type 2 Diabetics?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I spent a good hour at the supermarket tonight checking out the Carbs (of which sugars) and found many items marked 'light' had higher carb/sugar levels

Hi Cyclist, your not looking for the of which are sugars, you ignore that bit, what what it says are the carbs. These carbs will be turned to glucose, the part of 'which are sugars' is the bit that acts very quickly, but its the total carbs that you are looking for.
Good luck
Neil

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers Neil. I was looking at both

The more I read both on here and related links it's starting to make sense

Isn't it funny that you suddenly notice how sugary the world really is!

Reactions: 6 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

It isn't brands you need to look at, it is the amount of carbohydrate.

Good foods are proteins and fats, plus non-root vegetables.
Leafy greens are good.
Potatoes, parsnips are bad.
Anything with a grain in it is bad, as well.
Nothing with flour (wheat or rice) so that means bread, pasta, pastry.......

This takes a bit of getting used to as you realise that most of the things you like are now not recommended for you (at least, that is what happened for me).

Exercise is good, so keep up the cycling.
Weight can be an issue, so the middle of the "Normal" BMI can be something to aspire to.

Expect all this to take a long time.
Expect the first three months at least to be very confusing as you try to work out what is good and what is bad and what suits your body in particular.

Testing your Blood Glucose (BG) levels can help you a great deal as you work out what combinations of food and exercise best suit you.

Cheers

Dave R

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just look at the big number that's what the number of carbs is, I was was doing that for some time. Evidently the amount of fibre in the same product will help counteract the carbs, I believe.
Neil

Janiept

Expert
Hi Cyclist and welcome. Yes the light varieties have added sugar to make them more palatable after the fat is reduced, which is no good for diabetics.
It's a hard thing for us to get used to, but fat isn't actually bad for us it's the carbs that cause the problems.
Good luck and ask any questions you have there, as there is always someone around to listen and help if they can

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it funny that you suddenly notice how sugary the world really is!
Absolutely. I can only stand bitter chocolate now -- the ordinary sort is too sickly. So is honey, ice cream, and I suspect most cakes & buns. Pure lemon juice is so refreshing!
Soon you'll simply avoid whole aisles in supermarkets, having read all the carb counts and knowing none is any good for you. Saves a lot of time!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Best to go for foods with 10g carbs per 100g or less, 5g per 100g if you can. Ignore the bit that says 'of which sugar'.