What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs and slice of buttered spelt bread ( 5.3 at 2 1/2 hrs after starting at 6.8 so figure that's a yes)
lunch pate, carrot, celery, cheese soy latte
dinner lamb chops, one sad sausage from last night, mushrooms, green beans and 3 wedges

Reactions: 6 people

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: 2 boiled eggs, some almonds
L: some veg frittata, salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, spring onion), olive oil, 2 little balls mozzarella.
D: prawns cooked in garlic and butter. 2 chicken skewers with a bit of red pepper and onion on them. Home made coleslaw made with carrot, cabbage, celery, spring onion, full fat Mayo.
Other: some cumin-flavoured cheese. I'd never had it before and it is seriously moreish- even my 2 year old fell under its spell. Will have to watch myself around it in future.

Reactions: 8 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Breakfast: Yoghurt, strawberries, coffee and double cream

Lunch: Tuna mayonnaise, Ryvita, tomato, cheese and Parma ham

Dinner: Smoked haddock topped with poached egg, new potato with butter and broccoli,
Raspberries and double cream

5.1. 2 hrs 6.1.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled egg spelt toast
Lunch bacon rashers
Dinner far too many chips and a piece of fish. Took most of batter off. Then ended up rushing cat to vets. 11.1 on my meter which is just about the highest I've seen. Combination of too many carbs, not being used to carbs, stress and feeling ill. So not worth it either but mr e can't cook and I felt rotten.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was good today and for lunch had a red pepper stuffed with mince and topped with cheese followed by home made yogurt with blueberries.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled egg spelt toast
Lunch bacon rashers
Dinner far too many chips and a piece of fish. Took most of batter off. Then ended up rushing cat to vets. 11.1 on my meter which is just about the highest I've seen. Combination of too many carbs, not being used to carbs, stress and feeling ill. So not worth it either but mr e can't cook and I felt rotten.

How's the cat? :(

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Omelette (1g) & 1 piece of toast (15g)
Lunch: Half a can of Heinz chicken and mushroom soup (9.3g)
Dinner: 3 chapatis (21g), small portion of potatoes & aubergine (5g), 100g of Tesco Chicken Tikka Masala (4g)
Dessert: Half a grapefruit (10g) and 10 green seedless grapes (8g)

Total carbs for the day = 1+15+9.3+21+5+4+10+8 = 72.3g of carbs in a day. Hooray!

6.7 mmol/l after 2 hours. Not hooray. Bit of tweaking needed to dinner menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
B: porridge made with hazelnut milk for a change, and a good dollop of cream. Yum :)
L: Out to lunch today, so I had from the menu, 'dinner of meat' platter which consisted of a slice of ham, a slice of corned beef, slice of beef, and a slice of pork, with a chunk of pork crackling and mixed salad. There was also a half a pork pie which I took home for my dad :)
It was all going very well until I succumbed to a half a slice of a baguette because it was warm - couldn't resist! - Smothered it in as much butter as possible to make up for it, but then I crumbled and had a tuille basket with ice cream and fruit :blush:
No evening meal as I was going out again this evening so I've just had some berries, yoghurt, oats and cream for supper. My bg has been ok considering and was 7.4 prior to suppertime

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Omelette (1g) & 1 piece of toast (15g)
Lunch: Half a can of Heinz chicken and mushroom soup (9.3g)
Dinner: 3 chapatis (21g), small portion of potatoes & aubergine (5g), 100g of Tesco Chicken Tikka Masala (4g)
Dessert: Half a grapefruit (10g) and 10 green seedless grapes (8g)

Total carbs for the day = 1+15+9.3+21+5+4+10+8 = 72.3g of carbs in a day. Hooray!

6.7 mmol/l after 2 hours. Not hooray. Bit of tweaking needed to dinner menu.
Hi and welcome!

I would consider 6.7 an excellent result with that many carbs... What are you aiming for?

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome!

I would consider 6.7 an excellent result with that many carbs... What are you aiming for?

I was reading that 6.6 should be the target after 2 hours. After an eye problem that started on Monday I guess I am trying to get my levels well below the target levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes sense. :)

I use the same target - although sometimes greed or taking my eye off the ball takes me higher :rolleyes:

Staying below 7 at all times made the most difference to me. Made me feel subtly better somehow. And one of the tiny, almost unnoticeable improvements was that my night vision improved. But that took me keeping my carbs very low for a couple of months (around 5g carbs/meal + unlimited green veg). I didn't find it sustainable in the long run, but may return to it, for periods.

But I wouldn't recommend anyone try for that around Xmas! Lol

At the moment I'm aiming for under 7 at 2hours, but am pleased if it's lower.:smug:

Last edited by a moderator:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria cat much better thanks. Dosed up on antibiotics, pain relief, anti nausea and VIt K. May have eaten a poisoned rat as our tenants have been poisoning things or more likely a shrew. Seems happy just dosing on my bed with me - a pair of crocks x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Aaaawww. Please give kitty a wee cuddle from the mad cat ladies of the forum :cat: Are you poorly too Ethyl?

Reactions: 5 people

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up and down day food wise:

b: 2 boiled eggs
l: at a Buffet for the Christmas party of one half of the extended family, ate the inside of a portion of onion and tomato tart, veg and ham frittata, homemade coleslaw, roast lamb, French beans. So, all was going not too bad really, until .... The Christmas pudding made by my husband's aunt who has cancer and which is famously wonderful, with brandy butter. READER, I ATE SOME. And it was delicious. I loved every mouthful. BUT I felt the sugar hit. Didn't have a big crash, possibly because I'd eaten a lot of other stuff. But it would have taken me to about 6 times the carbs I usually eat a day (I keep as low as I can, aiming for under 25/30). And I couldn't test as I didn't have my kit and was out for the rest of the afternoon. Am going to chalk it up as a special occasion and remind myself of the danger of special occasions turning into habits. I've planned the rest of my special occasions for the foreseeable future now, on which I allow myself ONE of the following: small portion carbs with meal, small dessert, or a couple of glasses of wine.
D: some cumin spiced cheese, veg frittata, home made coleslaw, lettuce and tomato.

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaaawww. Please give kitty a wee cuddle from the mad cat ladies of the forum :cat: Are you poorly too Ethyl?

Thanks . Will do. She seems lots better as is squeaking when moved from where she wants to be but shouldn't be.. And is turning nose up at the vets' special tummy upset food sachets.
I've just got the doing the rounds endless sore throat and cold which has set my fibromyalgia off as well. Just wrapped a dozen gifts and my arms and back no longer feel like they are mine. I hate this getting old and ill malarkey . Can Santa make me 18 again?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn1 - As a marginal pre-diabetic, you don't have to give anything up. I'm sure you would be fine with just moderating your diet.

What were the worst things you have eaten when testing? You could have a mince pie and test around it.

Tried a small mince pie with double cream with lunch today. Started at 5.0. 1 hour 7.4 and 2 hours 6.7. Presume that's perfectly acceptable?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried a small mince pie with double cream with lunch today. Started at 5.0. 1 hour 7.4 and 2 hours 6.7. Presume that's perfectly acceptable?

Yup. :D

Although you might find the spike is higher if you hadn't buried it in a meal.
Or didn't have it with cream...
:D

I want one now.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast bacon scrambled eggs
Lunch small roast pork dinner as too close to breakfast really as we are off out at teatime - pork, stewed Bramley ( no sweetener) one roastie, runner beans, broccoli , few bits of carrot and two tablespoons gravy. 6.5 before 5 after.
Tea out for drinks and nibbles at sister in laws.. I guess I'll take some cheese in a tub in case it's all mince pies and pastry.

Status
Not open for further replies.