Hba1c = 52

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Been to my GP today to discuss my recent Hba1cwhich was 52, I asked if my Januvia should be increased as over the past two years my Hba1chas crept up. I was told that my blood sugars were absolutely fine and there was no need to increase my medication !! I said that I wanted to get my Hba1clower, she said she didn't want to see it lower as it was fine. has anyone had this problem ??

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask your Dr or ask for a referral to a consultant
that's 6.9% in the old numbers http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

i'd ask my Dr but I would like to see my numbers lower, i'd still try to run my numbers under 6, given the low risk of hypo's, if I could
I'm on LCHF and metformin
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

the endo's seem to like it under 6.5 with a range of meds, even when they have a higher risk than Januvia
https://www.aace.com/files/aace_algorithm.pdf

http://www.januvia.com/sitagliptin/januvia/consumer/about-januvia/low-blood-sugar.jsp
When used by itself, JANUVIA is not likely to cause low blood sugar.

JANUVIA works only when your blood sugar levels are high. Because JANUVIA stops working before your blood sugar gets too low, it is not likely by itself to lower your blood sugar to potentially dangerous levels. If you takeJANUVIA with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), such as a sulfonylurea or insulin, your risk of getting low blood sugar is higher. The dose of your sulfonylurea medicine or insulin may need to be lowered while you use JANUVIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 44 last May and my doctor told me she would be happier if it was under this. This December it was down to 39 or 5.7 which she said was fine .

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Thanks Connie and Jack. I thought it would be better to keep my HBA1c as low as possible, but I think I will have a battle on my hands to increase my medication. my GP as good as told me that they would not act until mine reached 59 which is the max in Nice guidelines :mad:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
So what do you eat Bernie? Reduce carbs and avoid increasing meds.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I mentioned reduced carbs, and the doctors eyes popped out on stalks !!!!! I eat around 50 - 80 gms of carbs a day. I eat little and often.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was on Januvia.
I didn't need it after I did the Newcastke diet, that shaved a bit more weight off, and reduced my insulin resistance down a notch.
I also low GI/GL, which seems to help me.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Thanks Douglas, I do the same as you, I have been diabetic for 30 years. I don't think that I have done too badly, I have Macular Edema, but no other problems. I was hoping to prevent other problems and also to save my doctor from treating them also_Oh well I did try :arghh:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Been to my GP today to discuss my recent Hba1cwhich was 52, I asked if my Januvia should be increased as over the past two years my Hba1chas crept up. I was told that my blood sugars were absolutely fine and there was no need to increase my medication !! I said that I wanted to get my Hba1clower, she said she didn't want to see it lower as it was fine. has anyone had this problem ??

52 is a bit high yes.just under 7 in old money.

Without knowing anything about you though, weight, diet, other meds, it's difficult to say yes or no to increased Januvia, as you haven't said what your dose of this is, and it does have it's own side effetcs,

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you take Metformin?

Last edited by a moderator:

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Douglas, I take 50mga day of Januvia, I am 5ft tall (shorty) and weigh 9st 11lbs or thereabouts. I take simvastatin, esomeprazole and warfarin and Bisoprolol for atrial fibrillation. No metformin .

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Douglas, I take 50mga day of Januvia, I am 5ft tall (shorty) and weigh 9st 11lbs or thereabouts. I take simvastatin, esomeprazole and warfarin and Bisoprolol for atrial fibrillation. No metformin .

I would have thought Metformin would have been the first drug of choice, but I know nothing off the interactions with your other drugs, or other conditions.
Unless there is a contra indication, asking your GP for that would have been my first action.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Douglas, I was on Metformin for over 2 years with totally disastrous problems. I was taken off all meds and then put on Januvia. Why don't doctors understand that all we want to do is to keep our body in good working order.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Douglas, I was on Metformin for over 2 years with totally disastrous problems. I was taken off all meds and then put on Januvia. Why don't doctors understand that all we want to do is to keep our body in good working order.

It's a balancing act though.
I was on 100mg Januvia, reduced to 50mg, then zero.
I also believe my doctor has my best interest at heart,and works well with me.

Was it Metformin SR you tried?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Douglas, sorry for being late replying, was out shopping. Yes I was on SR Metformin, took them in the middle of meals, still made no difference.
I will try harder with cutting carbs :(. Thank you for your support. x