Help, what question to ask the doctor?

Boohbah

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello, I have just had a letter from my doctors saying that I have prediabetes, I have an appointment with them tomorrow, what do I need to be asking?
A few concerns that I have is that I went for a blood test as I felt so run down and tired, I had had three quiet bad infections that all required antibiotics in quick succession and was getting worried at how poorly I felt. I still do feel poorly but had to insist on an appointment as they only sent me a diet leaflet and told to come back in a year for another blood test. I am quite concerned with how poorly I feel, I have shocking skin atm, my face is a mass of huge spots and really dry skin patches.
What should I be asking my doctor about?

A

AnnieC

Hi It sounds like you are extremely run down and I would not think it normal to be that poorly just from being prediabetic.. I have been prediabetic for over three years now but I have never have any of the symptoms of diabetes and being prediabetic has never made me feel unwell I think you should ask your doctor for more tests to find out just what is wrong with you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

First of all, ask for a print out of your blood results. You can then study them at your leisure, and you will find them very useful as time progresses.

Next, ask him his opinion on cutting carbs down as the best way of controlling blood sugars, on the basis that carbs turn to glucose once in the system, and glucose is what we don't want too much of.

The link given by Squire above is a good one.

Boohbah

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies, I went with a list of questions, sadly the doctor was not too helpful, passed me onto the diabetic nurse for a phone call appointment in January and gave me a print out of the results, the numbers were 44 on the first test and 42 on the second test. I asked about my skin and she prescribed some cream, when I asked another question, she told me I had run out of time, so I didn't really get the answers I needed! It takes forever to get an appointment at this practice, at this rate it will take a year to get all the answers!
I will be reading this forum and asking questions on here.
She did tell me NOT to buy a glucose testing machine, she said it was pointless. I said I had ordered one and I would be using it!
Thanks again,,

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Good for you as regards the meter! At least you got your print outs and the skin cream, so not completely wasted. GPs tend to shy away from anything to do with pre-diabetes or type 2. They just don't have the knowledge in sufficient depth, and I feel most are out of their depth. Most of us are passed over to a nurse. In fact I have never even seen a GP about my diabetes. I have only seen my nurse.

Your HbA1c results aren't too bad. 42 is the fist point over the non-diabetic level, so with a little diet change and a bit of effort this should come down to normal by your next test.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
good for you getting the meter.
we all need a speedometer when we drive a car -- this is the same for checking blood sugar.
taking charge of this yourself is the best way forward and joining this forum gives you a massive boost as there is loads of great advice from people who have done it. make sure to let us know how you go on !!

and a welcome too !!

Boohbah

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for th replies, the glucose testing machine has arrived so I will be reading the instructions and start using that one. I am still concerned about the symptoms I have, especially as the reading was quite low. The more I read the more I am concerned that my results should be higher, I will see from the testing.
Thanks again xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you for th replies, the glucose testing machine has arrived so I will be reading the instructions and start using that one. I am still concerned about the symptoms I have, especially as the reading was quite low. The more I read the more I am concerned that my results should be higher, I will see from the testing.
Thanks again xx
can you provide an actual test result number please :)

Boohbah

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, finally got to grips with the glucose machine and done a few tests, so far the results have been-
6.3 upon waking before any drink or food, then 9.0 two hours after my evening meal, this morning upon waking it was 6.8
I will try testing before a meal then two hours after a meal today.
I do find it quite painful! Will I get used to it?

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, finally got to grips with the glucose machine and done a few tests, so far the results have been-
6.3 upon waking before any drink or food, then 9.0 two hours after my evening meal, this morning upon waking it was 6.8
good results @Boohbah -- and its hard to say if you will ever get used to it-- I have but I weigh up the small pain that can happen against the ability to manage my condition - the testing wins every time :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

It's worth trying different parts of your fingers to find the best spot.

I get less pain when I use the edge of the fingerprint area, but we are all different.

And make sure you use a different area each time. Rotate the fingers, use both sides... It gives the area a chance to heal before using it again.

Hope that helps :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got used to it but find that I sometimes have to have 3 attempts to get enough blood out

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Boohbah,

As you said, results probably don't show complete causes of feeling so rough.

Frustrating that you're trying to take charge of health and not receiving much support from NHS. But, as others say, you're doing well so far and will get lots of help and support here.

I'd look at general lifestyle too - do you get enough exercise and sleep; do you have a reasonably healthy diet; are you under much stress? Try to identify some other causes for your feeling bad and think about tackling them too.

Well done on your efforts so far - keep it up and ask for help here as much as you want.

Best wishes,
Jane.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I've got used to it but find that I sometimes have to have 3 attempts to get enough blood out
Methinks you might not be applying sufficient pressure due to concerns re pain ?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sorry but 9 is a diabetic reading and not great. I would suggest that you keep a diary. I would write down your food and test 30 mins, 60 mins, 80 mins then 120 mins after food. Just for a month. What this will show you is what to avoid, what spikes you and by how much. My readings were in their teens but mostly in 5s except for fasting readings which are generally in the 6s.
I would ditch starchy carbs. Have a look at
www.dietdoctor.com
This is what works for me. Good luck and hugsxxx

Boohbah

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies, and Happy New Year to you all!
I have done a few more tests but with Christmas/new year, it hasn't been the best time for structure and eating had been quite adhoc, my morning readings when I wake up seem to be the most consistent and easiest to get into a routine! They have Ben for the past few days- 6.8, 7.1, 6.5, yesterday I did my reading before my evening meal and it was 5.7 and two hours after it was 9.0.
My diet atm is shocking and I know that I ned to address this very seriously in the next few days, I supose I have be trying to gauge how my blood sugars are arm with my lifestyle as it is to get the baseline and then once changes have been made to see the improvement! But like everything with change, it is starting and the first steps that are the hardest!
I know I will be on here quite a lot, the support on here seems incredible and I feel that I need it and a support network to help me make the changes and keep to the changes.
I will soon write an introduction about myself and how I have got to where I am now! Hipefully giving some background will help when I start to ask the many questions I know I will have! I am familiar with using forums as I have been a member of another smal private forum for over 10 years, but being on a new one is quite scary! But I want to add that I am very supportive and friendly and whilst this diabetic stuff is very new to me, I can and will give advice on a whole host of other things so please don't think that I will only be asking questions, i will give as much as I can too. Xx

Boohbah

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Major appologies for the shocking spelling mistakes! I pressed post before proof reading!