Not open for further replies.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's been a real eye opener. I got a FreeStyle Libre recently, so I have continuous BG data. Apparently I don't get a liver dump in the wee hours before dawn, but there is one in the morning between 6 and 10. I've lost 4 pounds. I actually feel pretty good. Low BG levels, but not hypo. It's a bit odd not to eat as that kind of helps mark the passage of time, if that makes sense. Not feeling particularly weak or tired, but I haven't tried much exercise. I'll go for a stroll downtown today and see how I feel. I think because I was very low carb before the start of the fast it didn't shock my system too much. Maybe I'll go for 4 days.

Reactions: 6 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Brunch ..fried egg x2 sausage x2 bacon 1 tomato mushrooms and for the first time in two months had a slice of toast ....loaded with butter.
Must learn to curb my alcohol intake cos the next day I munch

Reactions: 4 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
On night duty tonight ...so will have to have will power in full force to resist chocolates and highly refined goodies swinging around our department lately .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried a small mince pie with double cream with lunch today. Started at 5.0. 1 hour 7.4 and 2 hours 6.7. Presume that's perfectly acceptable?

Jolly good. Are you beginning to understand how as a marginal pre-diabetic you may not have quite the same "rules" as a fully blown diabetic?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Jolly good. Are you beginning to understand how as a marginal pre-diabetic you may not have quite the same "rules" as a fully blown diabetic?
Yes, but I'm still concerned about tipping over.

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost a repeat of yesterday so putting together a workable plan for when at home.

I imagine the plan for when I am working away from home will require a bit more thought.

Breakfast: Omelette (1g) & 1 piece of toast (15g)
Lunch: Half a can of Heinz chicken and mushroom soup (9.3g)
Snack: 10 cashew nuts, raisins and a Tassimo Caffe Latte - Total = approx 20g
Dinner 9pm: 2 chapatis (14g), Paneer & peas (3g), Potatoes & cauliflower (7g)

Total carbs for the day = 1+15+9.3+20+14+3+7 = 79.3g of carbs in a day.

6.6 mmol/l after 2 hours.

Reactions: 2 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
B: hazelnut porridge with a dollop of double double cream
Two coffees with cream
No lunch as I wasn't hungry
D: 3 M&S burgers topped with cheese. Berries yoghurt and cream
Snacks: pork scratchings

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B/L: pulled pork salad with aioli. Bit of ham.
D: sausages, halloumi, salad: avocado, tomato, spinach, radish. Bit of home made coleslaw. Spoon of aioli.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

My stomach is in knots. My teenage daughter was in the city centre this afternoon alone (Glasgow) and I got such a shock when I heard of the crash. Her dad, my ex-husband, was quite near the scene when it happened. We are all ok, but I am so sad for all those poor people and their families :( You never know the minute, as my mum says.

Sorry off topic.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Oh dear, the Christmas celebrations have started a little early as we have had visitors. However, I have tried to make sensible choices in the face of festive temptations. Yesterday, I had:
Bullet coffee
Green smoothy drink and pre made omellette
Some more omlette, with ham
Ham hock and poached egg starter (gave most of the potato cake it came with to Mr T. Steak and salad, with coleslaw and a few cheeky chips. Large glass red.
Some yoghurt before bed

Today, I had:
Green smoothy and premade omlette
Some more omellette
Brunch consisting of sausage, bacon, mushrooms, beans, hash brown and fried egg. Had with mayo. YUM!
A cheeky champagne truffle (last of 12 that I have made last 2 months, mostly because Mr T ate most of them!)
Tea will be salmon, broccoli and root mash

Going christmas food shopping tomorrow, will try not to buy too many naughties!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a good morning with a fasting level of 4.8. Had breakfast of an omelette and a toast and had a 40 min run and level was and 5.1 after 2 hours. Went into town for shopping and thought would be back soon but got severely delayed. Looked around for low carb food but could not find anything other than fast food joints and baguette shops. Started sweating and feeling weak and by the time I got home it was after 4pm. Had half a can of soup, some chicken pieces and a coffee but still felt terrible. Used my will power to not be tempted by the hunger cravings. 6.30pm now and feeling a bit more stable.

What do people do when they are out an about and need to find low carb food?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a good morning with a fasting level of 4.8. Had breakfast of an omelette and a toast and had a 40 min run and level was and 5.1 after 2 hours. Went into town for shopping and thought would be back soon but got severely delayed. Looked around for low carb food but could not find anything other than fast food joints and baguette shops. Started sweating and feeling weak and by the time I got home it was after 4pm. Had half a can of soup, some chicken pieces and a coffee but still felt terrible. Used my will power to not be tempted by the hunger cravings. 6.30pm now and feeling a bit more stable.

Oh my goodness. How many times has this happened to me?
Good for you for hanging on to your will power!

Sometimes it's not possible to find anything, but if I was out in our town centre, these would be my options:
(I'm assuming that I had reached the 'don't-get-between-me-and-the-food-or-I-will-rip-your-throat-out' stage
  • M&S : cold meat, cheese,
  • MacDonalds: biggest burger they do, minus bap, maybe half the chips
  • Wetherspoons: all day breakfast or mixed grill
  • Holland&Barratt: nuts, almond milk, 9bars,
A coffee with cream would work, but is fairly slow release, so definitely not a last resort.

Please don't assume that I would actually have the good sense to obtain these foods!
Depending on my, er... desperation, I could eat ANYTHING including icing sugar and available toddlers.
But those would be acceptable options.

I try and carry a 9bar in my bag just in case.

(By the way, that tired, achy, heavy limbed, depressed, possibly weepy feeling you may be feeling now? That is the delightful after effects of the hypo/adrenalin combo. The low BG sets off a complex hormone adrenalin surge which gets the liver to dump glucose into the blood stream to bring your sugar back up. You should feel better in the morning. Sorry if you knew that already. But if you didn't, it's nice to know WHY you feel so miserable. And that it WILL pass. Soon. :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Fried egg, bacon & cherry tomatoes
L: Multi-veg soup with a bit of salami and plenty of chilli. Oh and a glug of the secret weapon -- amontillado
T: Beef stew with buckwheat flour gravy and steamed veg. Pint of water to drink. Mrs Deejay had a jacket spud and carrots with the stew.
Snacks: little cocoa/coconut flour cakes (12 last 3 days). Also small squares of Lindt 90% choc.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - pumpkin 9bar
L - crustless quiche and salad with mayo
D - cauliflower cheese with 3 rashers of bacon and 4 mushrooms yummmmmmmmyyy

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My stomach is in knots. My teenage daughter was in the city centre this afternoon alone (Glasgow) and I got such a shock when I heard of the crash. Her dad, my ex-husband, was quite near the scene when it happened. We are all ok, but I am so sad for all those poor people and their families :( You never know the minute, as my mum says.

Sorry off topic.

Oh dear. Glad everyone is ok. I messaged my friend as she lives in Glasgow and I was worried she'd be shopping but luckily she was in work all day. Terribly sad .

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast egg bacon
Lunch soy latte 2 sqs chocolate
Dinner steak salad, mushrooms, two garlic breaded mushrooms and a small piece of garlic bread from Mr E's garlic baguette , coleslaw
Snack cheese and pickled onions

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What I try, when looking for low carb out and about:

If literally eating on the go:
- bag of nuts
- m&s for little sausages, mozzarella balls, cold meats.
- if there's a good sandwich bar that has those big piles of fillings, some of that (eg chicken bacon and avocado) but with salad instead of in a sandwich).
- once from gaby's deli on Charing X road I got a chicken wrap and just ate all the filling with a fork. There was lots of it and it was delicious.

If sitting down properly:

- greasy spoon cafe
- non greasy spoon cafe for a salad based meal (obv not great if the only cafes are the cupcake sort)
- nandos for chicken without chips
- some pubs and bars do some decent low carb bar snacks eg little sausages and chicken wings.
- if there is one, a tapas restaurant (a style of eating that I never fully appreciated until low carbing).

Reactions: 10 people
Status
Not open for further replies.