LCHF vs ATKINS

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
HI

What's the main differences between LCHF and Atkins as they seem the same ??

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Not a huge amount in terms of the food as I understand, except that Atkins seems to have become an industry. Also many who do Atkins to lose weight (which it does) stop the diet when they reach their target and of course it all goes back on again.

LCHF is a lifestyle, not a diet. And for us it's for life (which I see as a positive not a 'sentence').

Reactions: 10 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes I see what you mean. My LCHF diet book just arrived from Amazon so very Looking forward it and hope so much it does help me slim down

Reactions: 9 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The main priority for us is blood sugar control, the weight loss is secondary to that.

Reactions: 6 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I seem to be ok with that as last test was 42 so going down so far

Reactions: 7 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a huge amount in terms of the food as I understand, except that Atkins seems to have become an industry. Also many who do Atkins to lose weight (which it does) stop the diet when they reach their target and of course it all goes back on again.

LCHF is a lifestyle, not a diet. And for us it's for life (which I see as a positive not a 'sentence').
Love the explanation rod! I certainly see this as a "lifestyle" and not a diet- indeed I began lchf to try to rectify the blood levels.....for some reason never thought about losing weight, obviously it happened quiet dramatically for me!!

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Does LCHF not cause problems cus of the fat? Cholesterol etc

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does LCHF not cause problems cus of the fat? Cholesterol etc
My last result was 3.7 for cholesterol- described as "perfect" by DN! I don't go crazy on fat, cream in coffee instead of milk, knob of butter on greens etc just to compensate for low carb ( gave myself a target of 50gm per day when starting, rarely used that and now less than 30gm per day)

Reactions: 3 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Only cus my doc told me LCHF would kill me from high cholesterol

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My last result was 3.7 for cholesterol- described as "perfect" by DN! I don't go crazy on fat, cream in coffee instead of milk, knob of butter on greens etc just to compensate for low carb ( gave myself a target of 50gm per day when starting, rarely used that and now less than 30gm per day)
Oh that's amazing

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
A high carb low fat diet is actually worse for your cholesterol numbers than LCHF.

Reactions: 5 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just ordered the food revolution book hoping to learn more. Reading so far it makes sense

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm going to get that one too, as well as "Death by Food Pyramid". I've already changed my eating, though. "Brain Grain" is another good one.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The New Atkins book (which is the old diet revamped as low carbing research has grown) was written by a team of experienced low carbers. Two of them have been researching LC and LCHF for decades.

The stress nowadays is on lifestyle, and long term maintenance, and the HF message is definitely included, especially in the maintenance phase.

But so many people have 'fat phobia' that the concept is made less obvious than in DietDoctor where the High Fat description is used widely.

I've often wondered if this is because of the language/translation. DietDoctor is Swedish. Maybe the High Fat bit is less likely to inspire knee-jerk Fat Phobia in the original language... Just idle speculation - not intended to set off WWIII Fat v Low-Fat.

Hara

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my humble opinion, Dr Atkins was revolutionary in his LCHF approach to eating. His idea was also marketed more as a diet and less as a lifestyle change in eating. Diet Doctor uses the same LCHF approach but as a lifestyle change to eating (and less as a diet) - which also brings health benefits. To me that is the only difference between Atkins and Diet Doctor. I have read the original Atkins book and am in favour of a LCHF way of eating. After chroming this website I really do not see any difference in the type of foods that are advocated for eating than what were promoted in the Atkins book. Obviously, there has been much research done over the decades so I think that our diet choices now regarding LCHF eating are greatly improved - making it easier for Low Carbers to stick with the lifestyle. I think this is a good website with a great message but I have to say that the message is not an original one. It is just Atkins that is packaged and marketed differently. The message then is the same message now - eat Low Carb High Fat foods and your blood sugar, cholesterol levels and overall health will improve.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you see your cholesterol rise, I found keeping saturated fats out of the diet seemed to fix that, non saturated fats gave me better figures.
Then again, I also concentrated on low calorie to start, when I lost the excess weight, I found I had normal blood responses to carbs again.
I didn't eat anything that spiked me during the diet though, so the best of both worlds.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is a good website with a great message but I have to say that the message is not an original one. It is just Atkins that is packaged and marketed differently. The message then is the same message now - eat Low Carb High Fat foods and your blood sugar, cholesterol levels and overall health will improve.

Low carb diets also predate Akins by many years too - they've been used in various forms since the late 1700s to treat diabetes prior to the discovery of insulin, and since the 1920s as a treatment for epilepsy too. So nothing new under the sun! :D

Robbity

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Atkins is LCHF and it was never a quick fix diet, it was always a lifelong Way of Eating, referred to as WOE. Dr Atkins took his patients through 4 phases, Induction, to eliminate toxins and 're-boot the system', for most people recommended for 2 weeks only, then ongoing weight loss, where you increased daily carbs by 5 g, for a week at a time, until you stopped losing, then drop back 5g - that was to establish your personal carbohydrate tolerance, then pre-maintenance then maintenance, the objective being to hold your reduced weight for ever.

The Atkins Corporation is now basically a money making convenience food company, but Phinney, Voleck and Westerman, who were commissioned to write the latest book, based on lots of recent science, are foremost experts in the field.