Save on phone & broadband

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK lets put it this way, lets put it this way you have a length of cable that runs from your local exchange to your house. Now regardless of what router you place on that line you will only get what the line can provide given the distance between the exchange and you. Lets say you put a TalkTalk router on the line and it gives you a line speed of 5mbps (lets ignore line training for a moment). Now you put say a Draytek router on the lines and you might get 5.2mbps, this is not an improvement in the speed of the line but more a function of the routers ability to obtain and maintain a connection between the exchange and you.

When you fit a new router the router will give you the fastest line speed it can obtain. This is usually the most unreliable connection, over a period of up to 21 days the line goes through a period of training where it will start with the fastest line speed obtainable and then slow decrease the speed until the most reliable connection is made, this can be a couple of mbps slower than the first connection. This is why you should never turn your router off on a daily basis otherwise you will continually be going through this training period.

There are several different kinds on connection available from BT (basically all ADSL is supplied by BT as they own the exchanges and the cabling). Have a look at the link below, enter your phone number and click search and it will tell you a lot of information about the local exchange and what ADSL connections are available and when it is likely to be upgraded.

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
will do thanks.

iHs

I begrudge paying for landline but don't want anything else but freeview..

I would like just a 3g thing for my broadband and keep just using my all inclusive £15 phonedeal.. Get all my minutes n texts n broadband with that but just want my ipad n laptop to connect up.

Has anybody used a 3g thingy? (Don't know what their official name is!!)

Not sure DD but is this what you are looking for? https://giffgaff.com/goodybags/1GB-mobile-broadband

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not sure DD but is this what you are looking for? https://giffgaff.com/goodybags/1GB-mobile-broadband

Don't think so iHs. My friend just got one, this thing that you plug straight in to a mains socket. She got it this weekend and says her son and her can use up to 10 laptop etc on it.
I have literally 70 emails that Ibsend out at one time and huge amounts that can come back in one day, so don't know if these large qtys of emails count as gigabytes??? I only ever download songs to igadgets rarely so use very little else but emails.
Friend lives in Wales so can't easily pop back to see what she has. She just cslls it a 3g......

You would never believe I used to put in computer systems in to distribution centres. Nowadays I feel like my parents were when the betamax videos came out!! Scared to change!

Don't want virgin or sky for definite. Just want to get rid of landline and the attached costs as always use mobile....

iHs

You will have to find out what this 3G thing is called. I use a BT line but use Sky as a broadband only deal as they took over from BE. I did have a go at using GiffGaff and it wasnt really fast but not bad either.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Mobile Dongle is the common name for them, when I looked about 12 months ago GiffGaff (a virtaul provider using the O2 network) were the cheapest around but it will really depend on how much bandwidth you are going to use. I have 3 mobile for my mobile and I get unlimited data, to be honest I don't use it very often but when I have (like away on holiday in the UK) I use it extensively and have not been capped.

Here a little info on 3G and 4G

http://www.ianswerguy.com/what-is-3g-4g-lte/

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that we can never get away from paying for the landline connection, it's one of those things, that's why I'm trying Fuel broadband as you are only paying for the landline & the broadband is free for 12 months so £15/month is a good deal & get free evening & weekends with it as well. But as I said I never use landline just internet.
Going for mobile broadband is more expensive if your looking for unlimited.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got unlimted everything for mobile now up to £17 a month inc vat for everything. Was £15 -a while back.

I have 2 people that phone me on landline and for those phonecalls I could phone them.

Still trying to find out more about this 3g. Apparently it can be slow in some places but my friend is pleased with hers so far....

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got unlimted everything for mobile now up to £17 a month inc vat for everything. Was £15 -a while back.

I have 2 people that phone me on landline and for those phonecalls I could phone them.

Still trying to find out more about this 3g. Apparently it can be slow in some places but my friend is pleased with hers so far....
What network you on. ???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I been with them years now... And when discussing n saying I'll leave the price gets lowered. I was on contract. Now its just one months notice for the same deal as I had on contract.
Depends where u live tho on signal as well dorsn't it.. Couldn't get an 02 signal in Wales but 3 worked. Back in England now and 3 has more down time for me in my customers gardens....

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I been with them years now... And when discussing n saying I'll leave the price gets lowered. I was on contract. Now its just one months notice for the same deal as I had on contract.
Depends where u live tho on signal as well dorsn't it.. Couldn't get an 02 signal in Wales but 3 worked. Back in England now and 3 has more down time for me in my customers gardens....
Arrr so it's not a price anyone can get then. shame, good deal that is. !****!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
May be worth trying...don't know their current deals..

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Router arrived yesterday ready for the 30th, easy to install. Good service so far.♡

Attachments

• 1419796312281.jpg
    1419796312281.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 147

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
At least it is a reasonable router, better than a lot of other supply

Reactions: 2 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At least it is a reasonable router, better than a lot of other supply
The TalkTalk one was total rubbish ended up having to buy a new one which is great, so not sure if I'm going to use the F.B one, may just keep as a stand by.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just cancelled my Virginmedia tv, phone line and broadband package because of poor quality tv over the xmas period. Everyday the tv was pixelated and every time I rang to complain, I got fobbed off with some excuse. I was paying around £50 / month, £17 of that was a landline rental which I never use......................dead money. Of course when I said I wanted to cancel they tried hard to make me change my mind but with the problems I've had I said no thanks...................................Oh, but hang on, how much would the 100mb broadband on its own be? The guy said £28.50 but if you take out broadband 100mb + phone line it would come down to £21.49. YEP, you read it right. Cheaper to have both than just the broadband on its own. I'm happy with that.smiley thumb.jpg

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just cancelled my Virginmedia tv, phone line and broadband package because of poor quality tv over the xmas period. Everyday the tv was pixelated and every time I rang to complain, I got fobbed off with some excuse. I was paying around £50 / month, £17 of that was a landline rental which I never use......................dead money. Of course when I said I wanted to cancel they tried hard to make me change my mind but with the problems I've had I said no thanks...................................Oh, but hang on, how much would the 100mb broadband on its own be? The guy said £28.50 but if you take out broadband 100mb + phone line it would come down to £21.49. YEP, you read it right. Cheaper to have both than just the broadband on its own. I'm happy with that.View attachment 10324
So you what about tv, where you getting that now?.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've just cancelled my Virginmedia tv, phone line and broadband package because of poor quality tv over the xmas period. Everyday the tv was pixelated and every time I rang to complain, I got fobbed off with some excuse. I was paying around £50 / month, £17 of that was a landline rental which I never use......................dead money. Of course when I said I wanted to cancel they tried hard to make me change my mind but with the problems I've had I said no thanks...................................Oh, but hang on, how much would the 100mb broadband on its own be? The guy said £28.50 but if you take out broadband 100mb + phone line it would come down to £21.49. YEP, you read it right. Cheaper to have both than just the broadband on its own. I'm happy with that.View attachment 10324

Many years ago when we first got cable (in those days it was NTL) we had an issue with pixelated picture and frozen picture. In the end we had three engineers around our house one was watching our TV, the senior engineer was sat in a van across the road by the green street box tapped in to our cable feed and watching and trying to resolve the issue and the other was running between the two. They resolved it in the end but I am not sure what they did, I think it was an issue in the green street cabinet.

Our contract reaches expiry date early next year and dropping the phone line is one of our options as we don't use it now a days, the only person to regularly phone us is the daughter but she has mobile, facebook and skype as options. We already have 50mbps broadband and honestly can't see the need for us to have 100mbps broadband so that will be an interesting conversation.