FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had a bad reaction to their sensor? My first three were fine, when number four was taken off I noticed I had a bit of a reaction and the skin was weeping a little. Within a day of putting on the fifth it was itching a bit. On day four it was coming off and the skin underneath was really bad so had to remove.
Both of these were in the first batch I ordered after using the first two and one replacement all off which were perfect.
Going to call Abbott tomorrow and see what they say.
I have two more sensors I ordered and really hesitant about whether to put one on. Both arms are going to need time to heal so maybe I have to take a break.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Bit the opposite really. The first one was a bit rashy when I took it off. My last one was fine.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not had any soreness or pain yet.

Hopefully people are using the alcohol wipe before applying the sensor, or is this more like a reaction to the adhesive?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think i was looking at prices and it all seemed rather affordable, even if it was just to use for a month or two every now and again.. I would certainly use extra adhesive from what i have read detaching is the largest concern.

I think i may seriously look into finding a UK based friend who can post me one and some censors and i will paypal over the money haha
You'll also need to get the accompanying computer program somehow as you can't access it online in unauthorized countries. That's the problem I have after buying one on ebay from Spain.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll also need to get the accompanying computer program somehow as you can't access it online in unauthorized countries. That's the problem I have after buying one on ebay from Spain.
You don't need to log in to download the computer software - it's at the bottom of the homepage.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You just use a proxy ISP address. Hola will do, or serious VPNs.
Thanks, Hola almost worked. I can get to the main UK page, but it still blocks me from downloading the software. What's "serious VPNs"? Do you have a link?

Update: I managed to download the software after much tribulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems like a reaction to the adhesive. So strange that the first three were totally fine then the next two I received have been like this.
I have followed the instructions to the letter, used the wipes, everything. I have been alternating arms so one has a bit of a break too. Unless my body has suddenly decided it doesn't like the glue it feels like something must be different. On closer inspection really looks like the skin had started dissolving.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@darrenh04 - this started to happen to me with sensor number 4. After about 10 days the sensor was lifting a bit and I started to get a sort of prickly feeling - I thought the probe was pulling out so I stuck a big piece of optitape over the top of the whole sensor. The prickliness continued although the sensor was secure and stopped lifting. When I took the sensor off on day 15, it was actually very well stuck on the middle part and had only been the skirt of the sensor lifting. Anyway, when I did get it off, there was a red, sore patch towards one outer edge of the sensor - it looked like a superficial burn to the skin but I concluded that I'd had a reaction to the glue of the sensor and that some of the skin had pulled away with the sensor! Currently I'm on day 6 of sensor number 5 and all is well so far.

The only differences of sensor number 4 and the others is that I put it on a day early to acclimatise so it was on a day longer overall and that I put the optitape over it which held it down much more firmly. It was definitely the sensor adhesive which caused the irritation rather than the optitape though - it was a semi-circle around one part of the sensor edge. I washed it immediately to get the rest of the glue off and used an antiseptic wipe to clean it thoroughly. It cleared up within 2 days and there is now no trace of it. I'm hoping it was a one-off and i'm not going to form an allergy to these sensors!

Smidge

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had what looked like a semi-circular bruise after taking off my first sensor but it wasn't sore. Disappeared within a day or two. I didn't get this with 2 or 3, but got a smaller bruise with 4. I just thought it was caused by trying to remove the sensor (I am prescribed baby aspirin and bruise quite easily).

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First one still clearing up after a week and other arm just settling down. I have attached a nice image :-(
Spoke to Abbott today and they were interested in the feedback. He said he would look in to whether something could have changed in the adhesive but said this shouldn't happen.
Going to have a break until they clear up and then try one of the sensors I bought to get through Xmas.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is the image. The sensor was put on Monday and taken off Saturday.

Attachments

• 1419252886495.jpg
    1419252886495.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 729

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just very itchy. Starting the settle down now. Worse was when trying to clean remaining glue off.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Ive got an injury on or around my triceps after going to the gym. And coincidantally(?) just on the spot where i had my first sensor..not so nice...
At least my skin isquite ok, just a bit dry where it has been. I would see a doctor if I had such skin reaction..

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where abouts are you, is it not available in your country yet?

I am in Canada lol Its not available here, I can't even access the abbott website in the UK to read the specs on the libre without routing through a VPN :/ From news articles i have read it seems likely that Canada will eventually get it, but I have no idea when could be months, could be years...

Ebay, from Spain you say... Perhaps i will flip though the ebay auctions in the UK and Spain and see if i can get one at a 'near retail' price... I really want one of these things haha At least having one for the summer will make life so much easier while outdoors being active!

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reported it and they were quite concerned. They asked lots of questions and said it could be worth seeing the doctor. They said they are putting together all feedback and reviewing it for common issues. Also took my number so they could call if they found anything with that batch.
Abbott also offerred two replacement sensors but think I will wait before using another.
I have never had a skin reaction like this so I am hoping there was just something with this batch. Fingers crossed it goes ok as I am starting to really miss having my scanability :)

Reactions: 4 people