Low Carb no sugar Fairy Cakes

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some cakes yesterday using ground almonds instead of flour and Truvia/Stevia instead of sugar.

Fairy Cakes (makes 12, 0.1 carb content, 85 Calories (each cake)

Ingredients

2 Eggs
90 grams Ground Almonds
110 grams of Stevia/Truvia
1 tablespoon of Milk
10 grams Baking Powder
60 grams of butter

Mix butter & Stevia together until light & fluffy (goes a pale colour)

Beat 2 eggs together in a separate jug

Slowly beat the eggs gradually into the mixture

Add ground almonds & baking powder into the mixture gradually

Add 1 tablespoon of milk

Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and all the ingredients are mixed together, don't worry if it's a bit lumpy.

Divide evenly into 12 baking cases

Cook in centre of the oven at 180deg Centigrade until golden brown (approximately 15 minutes)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1419172189.484840.jpg

I would have liked to have ended up with a bit more mixture, so maybe next time I would add more ground almonds and an extra egg. If anybody else has a go and "tweaks" the recipe I'd be interested to know the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to make these today but wasn't sure how much butter to use. How much should I put in? I am a very basic cook and need exact amounts or who knows what it will turn out like:)

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to make these today but wasn't sure how much butter to use. How much should I put in? I am a very basic cook and need exact amounts or who knows what it will turn out like:)

Oops! I've missed that off my recipe - 60 grams of butter

Reactions: 2 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you! I will try them tomorrow.

Thanks, if you put a bit more of the ground almonds in an an extra egg, you should end up with more mix, and they might turn out better? (The eggs I used say 54grams each by the way)

If you do decide to try that let me know how it turns out.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Eurobuff, would it help if we separated the egg whites and the yolk, whipping the egg whites till it's stiff then folding it to the batter to give it a more a lightweight texture?

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Eurobuff, would it help if we separated the egg whites and the yolk, whipping the egg whites till it's stiff then folding it to the batter to give it a more a lightweight texture?

I don't know. I didn't do it that way, but I did beat the eggs separately to get air into them first. You need the liquid to absorb the ground almonds.