low blood sugar

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i see what you are all saying my only issue is my job it very active indeed i have not been to work now for a few months i work for my self, there is no way on this earth i could do it with a low carb diet i could see this working great if you had say a office job, lets see if the docs will order the tests and see what happends. i did once have my thyroid level done last year if i remember it was on the very limit of the high side the doc said it was with in the range but like i said i was on the very limit of the high side i wonder if that has any bearing on whats going on the doc say due to in being in range that there wasnt a issue they looked at that due to me being so cold most of the time

There are long distance endurance athletes who win races on very low carb diets (known as ketogenic diets, if you want to look it up).

There is usually a weird transition period when people switch to low carb, as their body switches to using fat as fuel instead of carbs.

But if you are off work at the moment, you could easily try low carbing without it affecting your job. And by the time you are back at work, you will feel jet propelled (I have FAR more stamina and energy on low carb than I ever did swinging to and fro on carbs and RH)

Besides, if you feel as bad as you say you do, isn't it worth trying, to escape the misery of your current situation?

Reactions: 2 people

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
ok am just trying something i will post results in the next hour and what i have just done

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't need carbs for energy. Fats also provide energy. People on low carb diets usually increase their good fats, and find their energy levels actually increase.

@Brunneria has put it much better than me.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i see what you are all saying my only issue is my job it very active indeed i have not been to work now for a few months i work for my self, there is no way on this earth i could do it with a low carb diet i could see this working great if you had say a office job, lets see if the docs will order the tests and see what happends. i did once have my thyroid level done last year if i remember it was on the very limit of the high side the doc said it was with in the range but like i said i was on the very limit of the high side i wonder if that has any bearing on whats going on the doc say due to in being in range that there wasnt a issue they looked at that due to me being so cold most of the time
I before diagnosis could only work part time and I struggled!
Now as brunneria says, I have more energy and stamina than I did when I was thirty!
I am close to getting my bus pass, I work long hours outside in all temperatures, very manual work, working as a grounds keeper.
All thanks to being in control and low carbing. I run an under 14s football team, I coach and run around ( not a lot!) I walk a dog twice a day for more than a few miles and have a lot of energy to do chores as my wife can't, I shop and fetch and carry. I do get tired but I would be where you are if I didn't low carb.
Experiment by all means, there is no handbook yet that I have seen. But keep in control.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh I forgot that I hav four grown up kids and six grandkids to keep me busy as well as a football club to support!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Another vote for protein and fat for energy.

First an opinion.
Carbohydrates are one of the few completely unnecessary foods.
There are a number of races who live where this little or no availability of carbohydrates.
The prime example is the Inuit.
Before modern transport, all they had to feed on (especially in winter) was protein and fat.
Not many vegetables growing on snow and ice.
Early explorers adopted their diet and after a couple of weeks of 'carb flu' discovered that they too could live well on meat and fat.
Other societies such as the Masai lived almost exclusively on meat, fat, milk and blood.
If you have seen pictures of the Masai they are very fit and unusually tall.
Northern Plains Indians of the USA also ate a Ketogenic diet.
http://www.biblelife.org/ketosis.htm
" Normal ketosis stabilizes blood glucose within a normal range and prevents the breakdown of healthy muscle tissue. The dietary restriction of carbohydrates prevents any build-up of excess glucose. The blood glucose level remains perfectly normal and stable, almost straight line. The body is actually powered normally by ketone bodies while we sleep. Ketosis was common and normal in all primitive people who lived on a high-protein, high-fat and low-carbohydrate diet such as the North American plains Indians and northern Eskimos. Dietary fatty acids and ketone bodies are very healthy fuels for the body in contrast to glucose which causes insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer."
Not sure I agree with all of the conclusions, but you get the picture.

Secondly I (and quite a few others) can exercise at length on a Low Carb High Fat diet.
I can cycle 50km at a reasonable pace on just a cup of "bulletproof coffee" which is coffee, butter, and double cream.
So please don't listen to people who try to tell you that you need carbohydrates to give you energy.
This is patently not true.

You are allergic to carbohydrates.
Many of us here on this forum are also allergic to carbohydrates but our symptoms are generally different from yours.
Never the less, you are allergic to carbohydrates and you can (and should) try to live without them.

Hope this helps.

LGC

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree with the post above. I am allergic to carbs and sugars or whatever turns to glucose in my blood, anything that makes my insulin flush.
I am better and fitter without them!!

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
ok this is very odd here is what i did. for tea i had a big plate of pasta with mince beef and this is what happened 16.30 4.7 had the dinner at 17.00 then at 17.42 6.1 18.38 5.1 19.41 5.5 21.00 5.7 it went up then down a little bit then went up steady. was not thinking that would happen now it doing what it wasnt the other day i did have a big plate full so that 4 hours no crash i wonder if am just eating to little at meal times i dont have loads of pasta like i did for tea today am very confused now it was just a test to spike the blood then was going to see how it dropped very odd

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, there is something in your observations you can eat too little and feel a little off, you may be lacking certain nutrients. There is still something I believe is going on. Have a check again in an hour then again in 2 hours.
Keep posting!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's normal for non diabetics.
That's 5 hours? With the high carb you should have spiked badly if you had RH! I think you are probably a different form of hypoglycaemia. As you hypo sometimes very quickly and don't spike and you feel awful because of that!
Don't talk yourself out of going the GP.
You do need to see someone!
There is defo something going on mate!
Keep posting

Nosher

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
i have just ordered a lead so i can print the readings out for the doc to see mite make it look at bit more clear. am going to do one one test at 10pm then am going to bed but will post again first thing before i eat in the morning

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok am at work in the morning. I will catch up when I can.
See your doc mate!! Please!
Don't leave it the symptoms will get worse. You probably need meds.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your fasting bloods in the morning should be around 4.5 ish! That's non diabetics readings.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pasta is a weird one.

Many of the diabetics on the forum find that pasta seems fine for 2-3 hours (giving reasonably low readings) but then gives a spike at 4-5 hours.

No idea if that may have cancelled out a rise or drop in your readings, but I would suggest you repeat the experiment with rice or potato, to check that the 'pasta effect' didn't screw your readings.

Secondly, how much fat was in the mince? Sometimes mince has huge amounts of fat which may have slowed down the digestion.

Please don't think I am raining on your parade. I'm just suggesting you get more data before you draw any conclusions... :)

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
i should point out here the pasta i have is gluten wheat free its made with rice flour i just had some left from when i tryed gluten free diet. ok i went to bed last night at 1030 i woke up at 3am i got up for a ****. while i was up i went in to the kitchen and i dont no why i had some dryed nana chips and i eat about 4 or 5 only very small. went back to bed i woke up later today and got up at 930. i did blood sugar and it was 5.2. i shouldnt have had the 4 little chips as it may have messed things up a bit i wont do that tonight when i try again so its was 6 and half hours i did blood after the the 3am chips. . for my first meal i had 4 eggs and plan oats in water but i had twice as much oats as normal am going to keep the carbs high to day and see if i get any high or low points ,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so I have no experience of hypoglaycaemia, but my observations would be thus:

You were finding you were have low bloods, rising briefly on eatong, then dropping to a low-ish level (aside from an odd very low 2 or low3 it seems), and hungry very quickly. You were also losing weight.

You tried eating more, which seems to have stopped the steep drop.

I might be inclined to try a few days of simply eating a bit more - not concentrating on carbs, but making sure you have plenty of protein and veg, and fat, and see how you go over a few days.

Again, I have to stress I don't have hypoglycaemia, nor much experience of reading about it, but maybe you're just not eating enough, often enough to support more normalised levels.

As you have a meter, you will be able to track how your bloods go, and I would have though that would give you further information for a potentially meaningful discussion with your doctor, if it's required.

Good luck with it all.