Feeling lost

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No dressings on my salad and only tinned food is beans and pulses and tomatoes!
Hi, Got locked out from the internet for the last hour,

I have presumed 'baked beans' would be very sugary and high in carbs, I have had to stop eating these, but even all the plain beans butter, harricot red beans are all high in carbs

Even the 1%, I again presume skimmed milk, could be a source of your high sugars, I have my tea & coffee black or add cream to the coffee.

Are your vegs from above the ground co's most of the below the ground vegs will be high in carbs.

I think most of the pulses are very high carb.

You need to read all the labels to see what the carb content is you will be surprised.

Neil

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi and welcome.
We all feel lost at first.
You have come to the right place and you are not alone,you will get a lot of help on this forum.
I would try diet before insulin,I dont concider it diet now,just a different way of eating which is much better for us,In fact better for everyone not just diabetics.

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Zoeout,hi and welcome, you will be surprised by the things you can eat , there are a lot of threads here on food and nutrition take a look around,today for breakfast I had 2 eggs fried, two slices of whole grain bread fried and 4 rashers of bacon washed down with coffee made with fresh cream, lunch 2 plaice fillets with cauliflower cheese, dinner 3 slices of roast lamb ,cabbage , and runner beans , afters cherries in brandy and dollop of double cream.....its a hard life:))

Reactions: 8 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well then, what am I supposed to eat!
Hi What every body else is eating.

You can have any vegetable above the ground, Mushrooms Peppers Courgettes, broccoli, cauliflower cabbage, Kale, spinach, Pac choy, Greens, you can have swede as an exception, sweet potato rather than potatoes, Asparagus and there is more. lettuce tomatoes onions

You can get very low carb bread small slices called Lov Life, or hovis seed sensation about 13 carbs per slice, only one slice at a time lot of butter.

All the meats you can have except for some processed meats, but you can have bacon.

You can have eggs any which way. Cheese of any description.

All the fish from Cod to haddock, salmon tuna plus tinned in spring water, sardine, mackerel both fresh and in vacuum packs. Trout and lots more.

Ask around the forum they will help you with lots of ideas.

Everyone here when starting out, will do a blood test just before they eat with their glucose meter, then will test usually 2 hours after, providing you are with in the limits on the numbers, that food was ok for you, but if it's spiked high, you then you know to look at portion sizes or remove completely from the things you can eat.

There are lots doing this on here and enjoying their diet and so could you.

Neil

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for your reply and letting us know your BMI. It must be difficult being disabled and trying to get weight down, but diet is the right way forward. Some melon is high in sugar and I always avoid the honeydew or similar ones. Cheese and nuts are good for snacking. Try to set yourself a daily carb limit of, perhaps, 150gm max and hopefully less. It won't be easy. My guess at LADA being a possibility was way off the mark so assume T2 as diagnosed and if you can get the weight down you may well be able to avoid insulin or only have it for a short period

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I sometimes have shredded wheat bites instead, rarely bread and potatoes, I do eat rice, and I don't snack unless I miss a meal and have to eat because I feel hungrey, which is something that I rarely feel, I eat fruit or raw carrots and celery
Zoe, have a read of this
Www.dietdoctor.com
I reduce my bs from the 13s to the 5s.
My cholestrols in the 7s but...
It's the breakdown theat matters. Trigs are key. Mine are 0.51 now, HDL 1.4 and LDL 5.2 and coming down. I have lost 4 stone too. I don't eat any starchy carbs or sugar. I do eat cheese, cream, eggs, fried brekkie....the list is endless. I have done this in 11 months. Bs down within a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Zoeout

You've been getting some good advice, but I just wanted to check a couple of things with you:

You mentioned high cholesterol. How high is it? A bit or a lot?
People have been recommending the low carb higher fat way of eating to you. A lot of them, including myself, have found that this actually lowers cholesterol. But I can understand if this sounds unlikely! We have all been told that eating fat is bad, for so long, that we kind of flinch at the idea of fat - despite growing evidence to the contrary.

Also, we don't ALL follow the LCHF way of eating. We have vegans, low calorie and low GI eaters on here, and they each find that their way of eating works for them. However, most of us do two things - we reduce the amount of carbohydrate we eat and we test our blood glucose to monitor if the diet and portion sizes are working for us.

The key thing is to find a lifestyle diet choice that works for you, that you feel you can stick with, and that you enjoy.

I eat low carb, with plenty of fat, do a little (cough) exercise, and find that I am losing weight slowly. And that is my preference. I have had enough of yo-yo dieting to last a lifetime!

Sorry to hear about your back. With being unable to walk much, you must find weight control/loss a nightmare.

Reactions: 8 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
H i Zoeout,

You have said you hardly eat carbs but say you eat rice how often do you have the rice?

The bananas, that Bluetit has already pointed out, will be a fruit which will shoot your sugars very high.

You also stated that you "snack on fruit" what fruits are these?

The shredded wheat will also raise your numbers, are you having ordinary milk with this cereal?

Are you having tinned food?

What vegetables are you eating?

What are you drizzling on your salad, i.e. Salad Cream what sauces are you eating?

Are you having any pastry cakes or biscuits.

Are these the only foods you have? seems a very limited range of foods you have mentioned.

Neil
Great advice. Great questions...Apples send my numbers racing. I haven't touched a banana since diagnosis and the creals which i used to think were really healthy give me massive spikes.

Reactions: 3 people

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No other meds, I eat rice about one every two weeks I snack on melon , I have shredded wheat about once a fortnight, I eat all veg, no biscuits, and 1% milk!
Hi Zoeout. I recently lapsed and bs was high...i have been diagnosed for 5 years and managed to bring sugars down ..This year I have been bad and relapsed. ...so recently brought them down again. You mentioned melon ....This is extremely bad for us its like eating lumps of sugar...so suggest you leave it out as also grapes , horrid things. I have riveta thins , rivetas , peanuts ( pistachios are high ) ...unsalted cashews slightly high.
But in moderation. I have weeterbix in the morning....and salads with prawns or chicken bacon ....or meat / fish. You can buy sugar free biscuits or sugar free apple pies..but careful on the portions. Also please be careful of sources ....and dressings...check the sugar content per 100 grams . I have a very experienced consultant who said stay with foods up to 5.5 grams of sugar per 100 grams of food. Get into the habit of looking at all sugar content....its time for a change to low sugar intake to reduce the impact on the body. Take regular blood tests. Draw a chat , record them. The small things make a difference. ...don't feel lost . Keep focussed DON'T give up..you can and will do it...These changes should help.....try......cheers Robert

Reactions: 4 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
woops, sorry, diet doctor already mentioned! I can recommend it too though, very good site