Reapplying for a driving licence after being revoked.

Mark89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for past 12 years, and i had few hypos in past 2 years which got my license revoked. Now for past 12 months I had no hypos, I recently had my hba1c test done which was 8.1 which is little high, for me to reapply for my driving license dvla will send letter to my gp to ask if I am fit to drive, now my worry is can my hba1c test can cause issue for dvla not issuing my license? Please help me I really need my license back because my mother is quite old and she can not walk and because I am the only child and dont have father I have lots of responsibilities I have to take her hospital every 2 weeks for her checkups and without car it's really painful.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mark, actually having a bit higher hba1c number will probably be of benefit, it shows you are unlikely to have a hypo whilst driving, so as long as your Dr agrees you are safe to drive the DVLA should have no reason to refuse your application for your licence.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DVLA (for whatever reasons) don't seem to be concerned about higher bg levels and mainly focus on the amount of hypo's people are experiencing and whether any were assisted, they also want to know if the person still has good hypo awareness symptoms which is a must for anyone driving on the roads, they will write to your gp and/or your consultant before considering giving you your licence back, Good luck and hope your successful.

Mark89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for the support and effort, which you guys put in to reply. god bless you all it has really made me feel normal and calm it means alot to me. Thanks once again.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, I been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for past 12 years, and i had few hypos in past 2 years which got my license revoked. Now for past 12 months I had no hypos, I recently had my hba1c test done which was 8.1 which is little high, for me to reapply for my driving license dvla will send letter to my gp to ask if I am fit to drive, now my worry is can my hba1c test can cause issue for dvla not issuing my license? Please help me I really need my license back because my mother is quite old and she can not walk and because I am the only child and dont have father I have lots of responsibilities I have to take her hospital every 2 weeks for her checkups and without car it's really painful.
Hi Mark, All the DVLA are concerned about is hypo's and eyesight.
To be on the safe side check with GP and consultant that you are safe to drive again. If so get your licence back it will be a long haul as DVLA move at a snails pace.
As to the taking your Mum to hospital, there are charities like age concern who offer transport to hospitals at X amount per mile. Just contact the hospital and ask who does this sort of thing as they will have a list. Best wishes to you and your Mum.

Reactions: 2 people

ladygti

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys
I'm just looking advice - I'm not diabetic but I am taking hypos - after some
Tests was given blood sugar monitor and it has shown i am going low. I'm awaiting an urgent hospital appointment with endocrinology. On Monday and Tuesday I took blurred/double vision which made driving very difficult so booked an eye test and went thinking il get new prescription and glasses and be sorted- never connected the two. The optician said he thinks it's down to fluctuating blood sugar and is writing to my doctor. Now I've been done since and drove wed and thurs with no problems. But I'm
Worried now they will revoke my license? Can anybody give any advice I regards to this ? I need my car for work due to the nature of my job.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi guys
I'm just looking advice - I'm not diabetic but I am taking hypos - after some
Tests was given blood sugar monitor and it has shown i am going low. I'm awaiting an urgent hospital appointment with endocrinology. On Monday and Tuesday I took blurred/double vision which made driving very difficult so booked an eye test and went thinking il get new prescription and glasses and be sorted- never connected the two. The optician said he thinks it's down to fluctuating blood sugar and is writing to my doctor. Now I've been done since and drove wed and thurs with no problems. But I'm
Worried now they will revoke my license? Can anybody give any advice I regards to this ? I need my car for work due to the nature of my job.
Simple solution is check before you drive and eat a small snack if you have a problem.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

They may ( not certain) and they are entitled to see readings on your blood monitor. I don't think they should do this, but DVLA can request to see them should they want to...

ladygti

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Simple solution is check before you drive and eat a small snack if you have a problem.

Yeah I have been doing that but this was constant for 2 days blurred/double vision which optician said is down to it the levels fluctuating and being unstable and level was normal when tested at the point in opticians but could not focus on anything. Hoeing once get hospital appointment that she'd more light but just so worried about licence! Thanks for the replys much appreciated

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah I have been doing that but this was constant for 2 days blurred/double vision which optician said is down to it the levels fluctuating and being unstable and level was normal when tested at the point in opticians but could not focus on anything. Hoeing once get hospital appointment that she'd more light but just so worried about licence! Thanks for the replys much appreciated

It wouldn't be wise to drive until your blurry/double vision has settled down, the consequences don't bear thinking about if you had an accident, plus your insurance would be invalid if it came to light that you were having problems with your vision.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry didn't fully grasp the lack of focus. No you should not be driving if you can not focus. Best not to drive at all until diagnoses sorted. As Noblehead says ins invalid, plus would you forgive yourself if you knocked a young child over because you didn't see it?
By law you have to be able to read a number plate at something like 22 meters (can't remember exact length)
Hope you have a speedy and successful outcome to your problem.

mrtt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They may ( not certain) and they are entitled to see readings on your blood monitor. I don't think they should do this, but DVLA can request to see them should they want to...
just break your meter and pick up a new one

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Ladygti it sounds like type 1 diabetes,I had the same symptoms when I was diagnosed

mrtt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i follow under 5 dont drive but it can creep up on you and if you not sure wait til you more balanced or sorted .

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
They put me on a three year license...I hope I can renew it when the time comes :)

denbo

A hgv driver and av to go through this procedure every 12mths they av sent me paper work so I can drive ad a letter today sayin it's bin revoked I av to c their independant consultant every 12mths as the don't believe yr own gp so why send them paper. Work to fill in I. The first place DVLA sed renewin my licence as gone on for too long well me last one took 7mths this ones took 2mths up to yet so don't know wot in earth the r in about I dint think they do either waste time