Struggling to feed my husband

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My chap was recently diagnosed T2 and we decided to try hflc diet to control it before accepting meds. He is not at all overweight and has always been difficult to feed, preferring sweets and cakes to dinners. He is testing around 6.5 on rising and we've only retest the porridge and rice where there has been a rise to 8.5. He has mobility problems so exercise is mainly short, flat walks. He is losing an alarming amount of weight and I need to find something, maybe smoothies, to get some calories and nutrients into him. Help!

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi as newly diagnosed myself I am finding it a bit of a struggle.
I have switched to raspberries and Greek yogurt for my breakfast,I also have a protein shake about Twice a week and I also take ultimate greens superfood blend this comes in powder form that I mix with water.It did make me gag at first but I have got use to it now.
I bought mine from gonutrition.com It maybe advisable to make an appointment with your nurse or doctor.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I lost an unhealthy amount of weight after I went on the NHS diet, which alarmed my dear wife more than me, but since I've been on the low-carb-high-fat diet my weight has levelled off nicely and my BS is quite smooth lately at around 6. I am able to exercise more than your chap, but I'm sure there's a way round it.
*EDIT* I eat a lot by the way!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Have you had a rummage in the low carb section of the forum? There are threads there giving fantastic low carb recipes (cakes and puddings as well as soups, main meals and snacks).

Perhaps he could have a read and pic some things that look particularly appetising.

My own personal attitude is 'if it looks nice now, think how much nicer it will be with added cream, cheese or butter. ' :smug:

It seems to work with most things...

Reactions: 2 people

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. It helps enormously to know there are folk out there who have experienced similar challenges. I'm gradually filling the cupboards with low carb alternatives and checking out the muffin recipes. Breakfasts are the hardest. He only ever ate one slice of toast and marmalade or porridge, he doesn't like yogurt or bacon and will only eat the occasional egg. On the positive side, he will take a green smoothie and I pack them with kale or spinach, nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut milk and berries. We're getting there.

Reactions: 2 people