Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It was coke mc Donalds burger King. That's for take aways. Pizza. Fruit veges salads meat. Deep fried now in then an recently ( last 2 years) crave sweet yummy stuff from cafes like cheesecake and mouse cakes etc....

There you go ...... you might now appreciate what that junk rubbish does to you. No issue .... you're now armed with info and advice on here that can put you on to a new track. Next lesson 104 .... ask for ideas on recipes and you'll get help.

Strictly limit the take out .... and I refer to BK, Maccas, Pizzas etc etc (unless they're salads and nothing more) as they are NOT good for you, me, other T2s or indeed the general population.

It might come across as overwhelming ... but it isn't. I cannot repeat this enough. You're effectively at day # 1. Come day 21 / 31 / 41 and beyond, and you're gonna feel a whole lot better. That is when you can experiment and branch out to possibly indulge in other foods that won't give you spikes.

For the time being, stick to the program

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll test that out tomorrow. So when I drink it do i test 2 hours later or soon as I've consumed it to see how high it is. Like test before the drink an straight after???if that don't work water it is I can't stand that sugar free taste...

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)
There you go ...... you might now appreciate what that junk rubbish does to you. No issue .... you're now armed with info and advice on here that can put you on to a new track. Next lesson 104 .... ask for ideas on recipes and you'll get help.

Strictly limit the take out .... and I refer to BK, Maccas, Pizzas etc etc (unless they're salads and nothing more) as they are NOT good for you, me, other T2s or indeed the general population.

It might come across as overwhelming ... but it isn't. I cannot repeat this enough. You're effectively at day # 1. Come day 21 / 31 / 41 and beyond, and you're gonna feel a whole lot better. That is when you can experiment and branch out to possibly indulge in other foods that won't give you spikes.

For the time being, stick to the program

I downloaded the food app this sight has. It has tons of recipes and ideas. Cheers Mike you have been really encouraging

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
:)
I downloaded the food app this sight has. It has tons of recipes and ideas. Cheers Mike you have been really encouraging

Don't thank me Vanessa .... thank the wonderful people on this board that make this possible. As for the drink, just stick to what you suggested, do NOT overdo it and mix it with a lot of water.....

Remember, we're in testing phase .... not the time to stress or concern yourself but it IS the time to start recording so we can map out a great program / diet

Nite Mike

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't thank me Vanessa .... thank the wonderful people on this board that make this possible. As for the drink, just stick to what you suggested, do NOT overdo it and mix it with a lot of water.....

Remember, we're in testing phase .... not the time to stress or concern yourself but it IS the time to start recording so we can map out a great program / diet

Nite Mike
Yes I'll be recording everything. And this site is amazing I'm so glad I found it. Night

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stay strong. I was diagnosed a few months ago. I feel better now. Maybe not completely better, but I feel stronger and more confident regarding my diabetes. I still have days when I feel a bit shaky or odd and my sugar seems normal. I have to ask 'is this a diabetes thing?' It is a big thing to take on, but try not to be scared or frustrated with it. The more you know the easier it will get. We are all here for support.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

You asked about drinks.

I don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners?
Some people love 'em, others hate them.
I don't like the chemically ones, but am fine on xylitol and erythritol. They aren't cheap, but they taste good and have no downside like bitter aftertaste (for me).

Either way, here are some cold drink suggestions that I can think of, just weed out ones that don't suit you.

• Water, plain, sparkling, with or without ice, slice of lime, lemon...
  • Sugar free cordial, squash, fizzy drinks.
  • I LOVE bitter lemon.
  • We have a Sodastream, and get flavoured essences by Aromhuset from Amazon. You just fizz the water and put 3 or 4 drops of the sugar free all natural essence in. At the moment we have toffee, blueberry, strawberry and lemon in the fridge. They will never be like drinking real fruit juice, but they make a nice change
  • We also get Sambucol effervescent tablets + zinc and vit c from Amazon. They're fab. Just drop one into a glass of water and you get a pink, slightly fizzy drink that tastes of berries. Approx 1g carb per drink.
  • Cold chocolate- just hot choc made with equal quantities of cocoa powder and articulate sweetener, a dash of hot water to blend, then topped up with almond milk or water and a dash of cream. I know that sounds odd, but water with a dash of cream actually tastes rather like milk.
  • Home made lemonade. Basically blend one or more lemons with ice and cold water. Add sweetener and extra cold water until you get your perfect flavour. Sparkling water adds extra zing.
  • Tonic water

My daily drinks are usually a coffee, a tea, water, one or two sambucol tabs, a couple of Sodastream Aromhuset combos and maybe a hot/cold choc.
I'm really content with that variety, and enjoy them all without boredom.

Hope that helps.

Oh, one more thing. If you want to test out how something like full sugar coke is affecting your BG, then I suggest you do it away from food. Drink a can, or easily measured amount, and then test your BG every 15 mins until your BG returns to normal. This is because sugary drinks dump sugar into the bloodstream astonishingly fast. Much faster than food. And if you mix your measurement with food it will obscure the result.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You must give up the love affair with Coke as you are possibly a bit addicted to the caffeine in it. How about tea or coffee to have a bit of caffeine but no sugar? Are you sure none of the artificial sweeteners work for you? There are several different ones so do try them all

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a soda stream too, but never add their flavourings. I like plain fizzy water or with added lemon juice. In summer I have it mixed with a little white wine for my evening drink.

Remember it takes a little while to get used to new tastes. Good luck!
Jane.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
There is a heap you can eat .... you are still EARRRRRLY days so just relax. Lean meats (lamb / pork / beef), chicken, turkey, sausages (85% meat minimum) bacon, eggs, fish (sheesh you live in NZ!!!) good above ground veg. List is endless. Lesson 103 for you ... if we were all condemned to a life of meal misery, none of us would be around to educate new members. That simply is NOT the case.

Mike
Great advice MIke. I thought that two months ago. I didn't realise how much you can actually eat. LOVING it now!

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
I have a soda stream too, but never add their flavourings. I like plain fizzy water or with added lemon juice. In summer I have it mixed with a little white wine for my evening drink.

Remember it takes a little while to get used to new tastes. Good luck!
Jane.
I sO love squeezing fresh lemon into a glass of water. Works for me! Never thought it would.