Advice Please for Type 2 Relative

SallyH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
I have come onto the forum to ask advice regarding my sister who has had type 2 diabetes for several years now.

Once she had sorted her diet out and got onto the medications she was doing really well, with very good levels. However, just over twelve months ago she started with severe diarrhea which would last for two/three hours a day and then be fine. Her GP decided to take her off the four metformin tablets she took each day, and surprisingly,her levels remained very good. She is taking two other tablets, but unforunately, I dont know the name of these.

However, the diarrhea still remains, and over the past six months she has had three bad bouts of unrine infections. It has now been suggested that she goes on insulin.

Both she and myself can't understand this as her levels have remained really good - are we missing something here, is there more to diabetes than just good sugar levels.

If anyone could give some advice, I would be very grateful

Sally

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When you say her levels remain good.. Has she had blood tests recently? Do you know what the results were?

It may be that your sister is on the highest level of that unknown tablet and that the GP may believe thats causing the stomach problems?

However, you don't mention whether your sister has had any investigations regarding the upset stomachs.

Without knowing whether your sister tests herself, what her hba1c is or what the tablets are it is very hard to consider what the GP's reasoning is. The GP should have given his reasoning to your sister for the thought of going to insulin.

If the GP bueves she would benefit from insulin, I do not understand why he didn't put her on it immediately??

SallyH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When you say her levels remain good.. Has she had blood tests recently? Do you know what the results were?

It may be that your sister is on the highest level of that unknown tablet and that the GP may believe thats causing the stomach problems?

However, you don't mention whether your sister has had any investigations regarding the upset stomachs.

Without knowing whether your sister tests herself, what her hba1c is or what the tablets are it is very hard to consider what the GP's reasoning is. The GP should have given his reasoning to your sister for the thought of going to insulin.

If the GP bueves she would benefit from insulin, I do not understand why he didn't put her on it immediately??

Thanks for your reply Donnelly - I will need to get back to you later today with more information. However, she has had her stomach investigated and everything is fine. I dont know what the other two tablets are, but I will find out. The GP has taken her off Metformin as he thought it may be them that is causing the problem. My sister does test herself, and her levels are always good (again, I will find out the readings) she has regular blood test. The last time she saw the GP he said that he sat back in amazement at how good her blood test results were. The latest GP has given no reason as to why he thinks insulin is the answer.

She is very much against going on insulin, and can't understand why they are saying this. I thank you for your interest and will get more information and come back asap.
Sally

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Sally,

Yes you need more information.

Sounds like you (and/or your sister) will have to insist on sitting down with doctor to get all views on situation. If insulin is being suggested as alternative to the drugs might it not be possible to lessen them and see if blood sugar goes up too much?

Might be useful to get more details of tests on stomach (were they comprehensive enough etc) as could be another condition causing this, exacerbated by the unnamed drug?

Great that you're offering so much support in this worrying situation. You need as much information as possible. Keep in mind that everyone is an individual and effects of conditions are from a combination of factors and vary over person and time.

I look forward to hearing your progress.
Best wishes to you both,

Jane

SallyH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am sorry to say that I have no further information on sister meds, as she has been really poorly the last few days. The GP advises that the urine infection has now completely cleared and that blood test for liver and kidney are fine. However, she is just exhausted and appears not to be eating much at all, which of course I realise can be the cause of her total lack of energy.

I have read about carbs and to keep intake of them down, but right now I just want to get her eating, but not being a diabetic myself am unsure what would be safe to give her. She took a test this morning whilst I was with her, the first one read 16.3 and the second one an hour and half later read 17. I know this is higher than it should be, but maybe that is lack of food.

Is there anyone who can advise me what 'safe' foods I could give her right now, in an effort to kick start her appetite.

Any advice would be appreciated right now.

Sally

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Those levels are high. If she had an empty tummy at the time she should have been low, or middle to low if her liver decided to push glucose into her system to stop her from starving. (This is a normal occurrence after fasting) Fasting levels should ideally be under 6, a bit more if the liver has sprung into action. However, infections and illness, plus stress, do cause rises in sugar levels, so part of it may be that.

You can give her anything low carb, such as cheese, meat, fish or eggs, but avoid bread, pasta, rice, spuds. Make sure she drinks gallons of water, but not great big glugs of it or her kidneys will complain.

If the levels keep rising she must see a doctor urgently.

Reactions: 4 people

SallyH

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Those levels are high. If she had an empty tummy at the time she should have been low, or middle to low if her liver decided to push glucose into her system to stop her from starving. (This is a normal occurrence after fasting) Fasting levels should ideally be under 6, a bit more if the liver has sprung into action. However, infections and illness, plus stress, do cause rises in sugar levels, so part of it may be that.

You can give her anything low carb, such as cheese, meat, fish or eggs, but avoid bread, pasta, rice, spuds. Make sure she drinks gallons of water, but not great big glugs of it or her kidneys will complain.

If the levels keep rising she must see a doctor urgently.

Thanks for your reply Bluetit, at least I now know what I can safely give her.

Much Appreciated.

Reactions: 2 people