My first diabetic Christmas, it's so unfair..............

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Some well meaning git left a shed full of cakes, doughnuts, cookies and chocolate in the kitchen area at work all day today as a Christmas treat.

Sorry folks but I gave into temptation and 1 jam filled doughnut later my BG is 9.2 - OUCH! And I'd been doing so well the past couple of weeks.

Whoever you are, thanks for proving that I'm weak willed.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tomorrows another day, don't beat yourself up about it :)

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some well meaning git left a shed full of cakes, doughnuts, cookies and chocolate in the kitchen area at work all day today as a Christmas treat.

Sorry folks but I gave into temptation and 1 jam filled doughnut later my BG is 9.2 - OUCH! And I'd been doing so well the past couple of weeks.

I came back from winter wonderland today omg never seen so many sweets candi floss and candy nuts , I'm so proud I had none...but going to have a glass of wine now !!!! All in moderation .....tomorrow IS another day agree ..go for a run and burn it off !!!

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ive been in the chocolate biscuits today. Back to being good in a couple of days.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i am the same have a bad day its not end of the world just work bit harder tommorow, not end of the world for any of us, x

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been good so far ... But will have a little parsnip and tattie on my crimbo dinner. .. Looking forward to it soooooooo much it's unhealthey

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been good so far ... But will have a little parsnip and tattie on my crimbo dinner. .. Looking forward to it soooooooo much it's unhealthey
I'll ceremonially dig the last parsnip from the allotment tomorrow (only three came up in the row this year :() and roast it with the turkey. Mrs Deejay will eat it all but a smidgeon for me. Ditto roast spud (bought).
She has her mince pies and we never have Xmas pud anyway because of the difficulty of finding one that hasn't probably had liquor injected after cooking, me being TT. I'm making a coconut & chocolate cheesecake instead, recipe from http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/
As for drink, a slice of lemon in my glass of water will be a treat. And the occasional really nice bulletproof coffee.
Happy Christmas! :happy:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Just saw a recipe for low carb chocolate/bacon brownies. A batch of those should keep me away from jelly donuts.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Chocolate bacon brownies............im in 2 minds......

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

As you are type 1 could you not have bloused for it or are you on mixed insulin?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
As you are type 1 could you not have bloused for it or are you on mixed insulin?
Yes I'm a onesie but only 2 months in. Only using Novomix pen twice a day at the moment. Has been working fairly well until today.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes I'm a onesie but only 2 months in. Only using Novomix pen twice a day at the moment. Has been working fairly well until today.
Oh that's a b*gger :( a doughnut is about 20 carbs if that helps for future ref.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't has a single sweet, chocolate or biscuit since diagnosis last January. (one piece of cake on holiday). Today I spent time filling up the stockings with Celebrations, Lindt choccies, and loads of other goodies. I very nearly dived in ....... but kept the pledge ...... just.

Reactions: 10 people

GTilley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sprouts, ignorance, rainy days.
My first christmas as a Type 1 too! I was diagnosed in March, started on 2 low doses of Long Acting twice a day, and (through no fault of my own, just the way the cookie crumbles, no pun intended) my doses have already gone up considerably and I now also inject before meals. I intend to eat, drink and be merry this christmas!!! the more carbs, the more i shall inject for it! This day comes but once a yr! enjoy x x x (but be sensible)

Reactions: 4 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to be honest I did eat a choccie this morning but when I thought about it I decided that as my BG levels are not too bad (usually between 5.0 and 5.8) it's not the end of the world to have a small treat!

Reactions: 3 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
How is your friend with the replumbed leg doing @cath99 .?
hi he is ok but hopping around still no sign of returning to work tho but on plus side he has reduced his met down to 2 from 5 and bloods looking good took all them bad times this yr to finally get him to cotrol it xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi he is ok but hopping around still no sign of returning to work tho but on plus side he has reduced his met down to 2 from 5 and bloods looking good took all them bad times this yr to finally get him to cotrol it xx

Thank goodness he now "gets it". Every cloud and all that.

I hope you both have an excellent festive period, after such a difficult few months.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

After what happened in Glasgow yesterday, life is really too short to beat yourself up over a doughnut. Who knows what tomorrow holds?

Merry Christmas.