livilife and hilo bread

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating a slice of toasted Livilife and Hilo bread at each meal with plenty of butter and mostly with a fried egg or chicken. I noticed an increase of BS after 1 hour up to 2.5 to 3 and 2 hours will not go down to what I start with. I have made muffins with Almond and Coconut flour which is amazing and there is no BS rises over 1 point (only tested once though). I have the feeling unlike carbs in other flour Wheat flour gives a higher spike? Livilife and Hilo bread has 3.8g-5g of carbs per slice. Has anyone noticed this as now I would rather make my bread and freeze.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a very similar experience.
In my case ALL grains spike me higher than something like potato or fruit. But wheat is by far the worst.
I've begun to think that I am wheat intolerant. Maybe grain intolerant.

Others post that wheat has much less spike, so I can only assume that it is a very individual reaction.

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its wheat for me even in very small amounts. There is a diet call Virgin diet. Basically you stop all regular food and buy their shakes, drink only that for 7 days (600 cal) and introduce food types , dairy one week, grains next etc to find out which type of food you are allergic to. One of my friends found out she is slightly allergic to wheat which surprised her. I am happy to avoid wheat and move onto other things now.
Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
It is bit expensive for a loaf. I am experimenting with coconut flour at the moment. The recipe uses 6 eggs, eggs white beaten separately gives the softness. Not bad. Better than not having a sandwich at all.