Snacks / supper

Ruler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and the problem I have is that my blood sugar level is constantly high. I am trying to lose weight to help but I have certain vices. For snacks and supper I tend to eat crackers and cheese and also crisps. I am wanting to cut these out but need alternatives.

I would like to eat fruit - are oranges and apples ok? Any other suggestions of food I can eat instead of cheese and crisps will be much appreciated.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Stand by for an avalanche of ideas..........ok gang hit it::))

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I fancy a snack I have some nuts, usually almonds, which are low carb or I dig out a baby bel cheese from the fridge and have with some celery.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, I was a dreadful snacker until I went low carb and the cravings subsided. So my first target was to snack less anyway.
Now I eat home-made low carb cheese bites and coconut cakes, or berries (bought frozen in packs) with double cream. And nuts, always ready in a jar on the table.
Oranges, pears, pineapple, bananas are bad for me. An apple is ok with cheese.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
'Posh' pork scratchings. Found on Amazon. Expensive, but very more'ish.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am type 2 and the problem I have is that my blood sugar level is constantly high. I am trying to lose weight to help but I have certain vices. For snacks and supper I tend to eat crackers and cheese and also crisps. I am wanting to cut these out but need alternatives.

I would like to eat fruit - are oranges and apples ok? Any other suggestions of food I can eat instead of cheese and crisps will be much appreciated.
The thing that concerns me is your statement, " my blood sugars are constantly high" No 1 priority is to get your numbers down.
Crisps and crackers need to be removed though as all they will do is increase your blood sugars.
There's plenty of carb free stuff available though. Perhaps do a google search and be in for a nice surprise :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have nuts available for snacking. Cheese is fine. Avoid the crackers. Apples are reasonable as a fruit to have.

GTilley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sprouts, ignorance, rainy days.
I like apples and nuts. I also find some natural yoghurt with fruit is good, and I at work I often have a cereal bar handy. I recommend the nature valley bars as there are 2 bars in each pack, so I only have 1 at a time because they are super filling and yummy! If im low at supper time I may munch on a small bowl of non sugary cereal. Snack happy x

kittyvcat1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GTilley, where do you get your nature valley bars from - the ones at Tesco etc seem to have a high carb content.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest you go to the low carb section of the forum. Read, explore, browse.
You will find plenty of snacks and advice and some of them will take your fancy...

Reactions: 2 people