100 years old

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As long as I get to watch my teenager grow into a happy, contented and a wonderful adult, I will be happy enough. I have worried, in the past, about leavibg her an orphan, but will always still keep fighting on, whatever life throws at me :) :cool: HAPPY DAYS :happy:

RRB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum's cousin died this summer. She was 105 and still had all her faculties. A little frail physically, but could talk the hind leg off a donkey, and still retained her youthful spirit and intelligence. Maybe the fact she was a spinster helped with this. ;)

On the other side of the coin, my daughter and her friend made a pact when they were 16 that they would drive over a cliff to end it all when they both reached 21. This was obviously a joke, but being "old" worried them, and "old" to them was over 21. My daughter is now 43, perfectly formed, rational, and as happy as Larry. I often remind her of that pact!

Reactions: 3 people

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On my maternal side I have a great aunt is 91, t2 and the only thing wrong is she's slightly hard of hearing and my paternal nan was in her 70s t2 (I think) but on insulin and had no complications when she died!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After watching the suffering my father went through with his dementia (lewi bodies) I wouldn't wish it on anyone or their families. It was horrendous, Dad nearly took my Mother, brother and I to the grave with him. When he passed away a couple of months ago it was a release for him and a relief for the family.

I'm sorry.
I can't imagine how tough that must have been.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think living to 100 for non-diabetics is still a rare case. I want to at least make it to 75 healthy and happy with no complications, any time after that would be a nice bonus.

There are people who have survived 75 years with Type 1 Diabetes, and many 50 years, and lots of people on these forums who have made 25 and 30 years without complications. So that gives me hope that if they can do this well with the technology and methods used 20 or 30 years ago, it should be much easier for someone newly diagnosed (like myself).

For someone to be 100years old today, they would have had to be born before 1914, insulin wasn't even invented until the 20s, so making it to 100 after being diagnosed at 7 years old would require some luck and skill.

I would think Type 1 diagnoses would be rare past 40yrs old which would put birth around 1954, which means did decades during what seems like the 'dark agaes' of diabetes management lol Treatment seems very dated when looking back, so it would again, require some luck and skill to get to 100 even for someone diagnosed in the 50s and 60s.

The largest issue i find is that there is no data available yet on how long newly diagnosed diabetics actually live when put directly on the pump and CGM, there is predictions that say their life would only be shortened by a handful of years if otherwise healthy, but again shortened from what ? There is no way to know how long they would have lived without diabetes..

Emerald14

My auntie was diagnosed type 2 when she was in her late 50s. She's 94 yrs old now, never forgets a thing and has a great sense of humour. She always took her diet very seriously although she eats more carbs than we do. She takes metformin.

Reactions: 4 people