A change in lifestyle (from 17 Dec 2014 onwards)

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi msmi1970

The best single origin I have ever tasted with a Costa Rican honey-processed coffee.
I cannot recall the exact farm name at present though

:) that sounds yummy..thankfully i always have my coffee black so i don't miss sugar. i find that it's the little things that tend to throw you off.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hi there! welcome to the forum! I am too newly dianosed and I am wating for my first "Diabetic nurse appointment" In Jan. I can tell that this site is just fabulous! I try and visit here daily. Its a one stop one shop all site for all diabetes! I cannot thank this site enough xx Lovely members, Great advice! and not at all scary! As I have been lead to believe from the new "T2 diabetes" Advert I have witnessed... :meh:.. but that is for another topic, :shifty:. Welcome welcome! :) xxx

Reactions: 8 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weirdly I am not missing sugar as much as I thought I would

I have had a small orange juice for the first time in a week - that has been my sweetest drink so far

I'm trying to find foods that match the criteria mentioned that my wife will also enjoy eating, as she is very supportive and wants to ensure we cook and eat as a couple

What are the best recipe resources for T2 diabetics?

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay, it looks like I can handle a few carbs and potatoes do not spike me greatly, unlike bagels which send me through the roof

I'm enjoying testing what foods I can / cannot eat and have found some lovely salad combos that I have been having for lunch

6.6 average over the past week (pre and post results included)

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a email with a link to a free book of menu's but I need to search for it.

I can eat banana's apples and a little cereal but bread and baked spud send me through the roof.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had 2 slices of Warburtons Seeded Batch this morning for 11.6g per slice which took me from fasting 7.3 (I had been awake and doing things for a while) to 8.5 2 hours afterwards

Tomorrow I will try 1 slice and see what the effect is

It seems that I can have up to 20g carbs without too much of an effect - although I will be keeping this as low as possible
I travel a lot so this will give me the knowledge of what I can tolerate when I cannot have what I normally would eat for breakfast following the new diet / lifestyle change

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have had a small orange juice for the first time in a week - that has been my sweetest drink so far

I'm trying to find foods that match the criteria mentioned that my wife will also enjoy eating, as she is very supportive and wants to ensure we cook and eat as a couple

If you follow this link (if I've done it right) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/welcome/?ref=1&seg=SEG_FOOD&utm_source=top&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=dd it will take you to a form that you fill in and then it takes you to a link for a free recipe book that is available for download, the app for the iPad is also good.

If the link is wrong, just look on the home page under food and recipes..

Reactions: 2 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That may be one of the most difficult things. I was fortunate that my wife found out she liked carbs less than I did:)

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you follow this link (if I've done it right) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/welcome/?ref=1&seg=SEG_FOOD&utm_source=top&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=dd it will take you to a form that you fill in and then it takes you to a link for a free recipe book that is available for download, the app for the iPad is also good.

If the link is wrong, just look on the home page under food and recipes..

The link worked, thank you.

Are the carb contents listed the total for the meal or a per serving value?
If it's per serving them some are way out of the boundaries for LCHF

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This afternoon I have an appointment with a Dietitian. My DN was good and I'm hoping he/she will be as well
I will be taking with me the list of food eaten and some recent BG test results to show how I'm reacting to various carbs
It will be interesting to see if they have the same philosophy as the DN who was supportive of my new diet and could see the numbers coming down

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, the dietitian was super impressed with my BG readings and food diary.
She has not had any patients come to see her with such a comprehensive set of figures and foods eaten.

She supported my plans and is confident that I am getting enough nutrients etc and that the weight loss is steady and sustainable too.

There were no surprises. Overall I'm pleased with the care so far.

Reactions: 6 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@cyclist Remember, you are in this for the long term. It's not a quick sprint to instant health. If you are on the right track, just keep pedalling.

Get yourself a GoPro Hero camera as a reward. Then you can do stunts.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm, not sure I'll be doing any stunts on my road bike, but treating myself to a Garmin Virb Elite is not out of the question