New guy to the forum and diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

Diagnosed with type one for around a month now and thought registering here might be a plan.
In brief I am a 39 year old musician and general waster having to get to grips with having an organised lifestyle that doesn't suit my bohemian ways!
See you in the forums

Cheers from the Dog.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello everyone,

Diagnosed with type one for around a month now and thought registering here might be a plan.
In brief I am a 39 year old musician and general waster having to get to grips with having an organised lifestyle that doesn't suit my bohemian ways!
See you in the forums

Cheers from the Dog.

Hello and wekcome to te forum, I hope yu can have a good look around and anything you need to know, please just ask.

Cheers back to the dog,

RRB :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Welcome Wellingtons Dog

It takes a bit of getting used to... To join our exclusive club!! We're great but the D also is a constant companion to now!!! Not quite so lovely as a dog though!! It can certainly come up n nip you on the ar*e unexpectedly!!!!

However, this is a great place to ask questions, get support and have fun too and also pass on experiences.

Welcome to a not wanted forum!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
thanks RRB, had a good look already and the usefulness of some of the posts here is what persuaded me to join up.

We do like to have a laugh, as well as the serious stuff, I've always found lots of helpful support and
advice:).

All the best RRB

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
thanks DD my own mutt is a valuable support even if he is mostly concerned with meal and walkie times

Aren't we all?? Sorry to steer off course already with you... Is it one mutt? And what is he / she?

One of my dogs recognised hypo's... So I know how much support a mutt can give. Mine all passed on now, and sorely missed. I hope that you will also get great support here.

Initially diabetes can make you feel alone, but friends here take that loneliness away and offer so much support its unbelievable. Sure, we have heated debates sometimes and different experiences because we all live with this diagnosis and are all individuals...

Welcome aboard!!

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Helloo:happy:

Yes it may feel alone sometimes so online places like this can be great. Lots of advice and its good to know you are not the only one in the town

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the dog in question is a three legged staffie that I rescued but as far as training him to do anything useful I have, alas, met smarter and more trainable sandwiches.

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,

See you in the forums

Cheers from the Dog.
Woof, Woof, welcome

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, very welcoming compared to some of the darker corners of the internet I've been in (purely by accident you understand)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
the dog in question is a three legged staffie that I rescued but as far as training him to do anything useful I have, alas, met smarter and more trainable sandwiches.
If it's anything like our three legged staffie cross, it won't like anyone going near the stump, will be a bit too smart and refuses to be trained rather than congenitally not being trainable....

Welcome to the forum by the way!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Wellingtons Dog

Hello Wellingtons Dog and welcome to the forum. I don't know if I dare say this but I am a cat person myself although I also love dogs.

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks daisy1, it's ok I like cats too, I wasn't expecting my first thread to be quite so doggy centric but I suppose I brought it on myself with the user name, no questions about boots or Napoleonic Generals though

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg
Dog welcome to the forum.

jopar

Hi and welcome Wellington

Forum's can be great places to get support and help but you did need to remember diabetes is as individual as individual's are.... There isn't a ika flat pack book of instructions that will manage the condition for you. You have to write your own I'm afraid.

My husband is also a T1'er like myself, how we manage our diabetes is totally different purely because our body responds to different things in different ways.... What works for him rarely works for me

You need to test, test, and test again, note down what food's you've eaten, what carb content they have, what exercise you've done, whether you feel unwell, being stressed etc... You can then use this information to work out what works best for you to maintain control....

It's hard work to start with but it's something that you won't have to always do, with the exception of testing that is. once you start getting your head around the control and it's starts to settle, you can then drop a lot of the note taking, and just take notes of foods/exercise when something either changes or you facing a new situations you haven't dealt with before.

So do ask questions no question is silly if you don't know the answer, but when you read the replies given remember that they are given from peoples own experience, so you need to think about any suggestions given, decide if it will work for you or perhaps run it past your medical team, as they will have all your medical notes to hand which they can refer to to ensure that you aren't being given dangerous advice.

But you do get used to living with diabetes and management just becomes apart of the daily routine of life, just like getting up, washing, brushing ones teeth and getting dressed is..