Things about type 1 that are sometimes a bit annoying....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That evening lantus shot that didn't precipitate properly and dumped you into a sharp hypo before bed so that you are hanging around at midnight managing your blood sugar. Grrr.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, the dextrosols aren't doing the job. Onto the full fat coke....

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do find that full fat coke tastes a lot like earth, or is that just me? Apologies if no-one is that excited, but these occurrences are a little dull sometimes.

Looking forward to the 4+ reading. Dropping down to 2.2 on the bloods isn't really that much fun.

It's astonishing how great the impact of a large load of insulin can be. It sometimes feels like it has had a multiplier rather than linear effect. Sledgehammer....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's it, into the fours and trending up. God only knows where I'll wake up, but I'll probably still be accompanied by these two....

ef07cb52654e497c97d004c15ba39e8f.jpg

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's it, into the fours and trending up. God only knows where I'll wake up, but I'll probably still be accompanied by these two....

ef07cb52654e497c97d004c15ba39e8f.jpg
Aww, aren't they good companions? And yes, it must be bloody off-pissing. OTOH you got through it Tim. Tim 1, Bloody Lantus 0.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
on the plus side the annoying hypo started before you went to bed and not 3 hours after

am just whistling...... always look on the bright side of life.....that monty python ditty

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That evening lantus shot that didn't precipitate properly and dumped you into a sharp hypo before bed so that you are hanging around at midnight managing your blood sugar. Grrr.

You seem to be having this on-going problem with lantus, have you not thought about changing your basal insulin to see if this helps, you could switch to Levemir, Insulatard or the new one which is Trisiba.

Personally I wouldn't put up with it any longer if lantus did that to my bg levels.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
noblehead makes a great point --levemir is not meant to have that sort of issue

and BTW -- i have had those annoying hypos myself and they are no fun at all -- anything you do doesn't seem to raise your BG's for a few hours

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@noblehead Already taken the step. Have a clinic appointment on 7th January to go and demand Tresiba (as my GP felt out of his comfort zone changing the insulin). Fed up to the back teeth of it.

Up until Lantus came out, I was using Insulatard and it's only been in the past few months that I've observed the Lantus issue (or at least consciously observed it). As we've discussed on another topic, I think it's related to weight loss and fat reduction.

I am looking forward to the appointment...!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or maybe switch your Lantus to before breakfast?

Brilliant cats! Look very like my cat Tabs, who has made a career out of making a beeline for the cosiest spots in the house,

Glad you dealt with that drop to 2.2. It's no fun in the dead of night, faffing around to get a decent reading before you can finally sleep! In my experience, food tastes like cardboard until I've recovered.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Life pre and post Libre. I'm never gonna give mine up. Hope you manage to give up the Lantus tho.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead Already taken the step. Have a clinic appointment on 7th January to go and demand Tresiba (as my GP felt out of his comfort zone changing the insulin). Fed up to the back teeth of it.

Up until Lantus came out, I was using Insulatard and it's only been in the past few months that I've observed the Lantus issue (or at least consciously observed it). As we've discussed on another topic, I think it's related to weight loss and fat reduction.

I am looking forward to the appointment...!

Where do you inject your lantus, try injecting it in your bum if you don't do so already. Good luck on the 7th of January.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Where do you inject your lantus, try injecting it in your bum if you don't do so already. Good luck on the 7th of January.
Unfortunately, my bum has as little subcutaneous fat as my thighs do these days (based on the skinfold tests I've had done). Been spending too much time in the gym and reducing body fat!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unfortunately, my bum has as little subcutaneous fat as my thighs do these days (based on the skinfold tests I've had done). Been spending too much time in the gym and reducing body fat!

If your active in an evening (as in working out using your legs) and injecting basal in there this might explain your hypo's, exercise increases blood flow to the area so accelerates the rate in which insulin is absorbed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If your active in an evening (as in working out using your legs) and injecting basal in there this might explain your hypo's, exercise increases blood flow to the area so accelerates the rate in which insulin is absorbed.
Yes, agreed, however, most of the hypos I'd noticed took place in the morning with my split dosing. I've had a lot of experience of handling reduced amounts in the evening as I used to cycle home from work and the exercise hangover/insulin speed absorption would last from about 7.30pm to midnight. Had a few fun ones with that too, but at least it was obvious what was going on and wasn't the same kind of "Lantus Landslide" I've since seen.

Personally I think the release mechanism for Levemir/Tresiba is more likely to be beneficial than that of Lantus, given my circumstances.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck with your appointment on the 7th January :)

Best wishes

RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My daughter's cat Pebbles like's to meow outside my bedroom door, because she just know's mum will eventually get up, and then I get lots of greeting chirping, patting me with her paws, licking my hands,I do try to ignore her, but for some reason I can't :cat: :angelic: o_O
What breed are they? I bet they need lots of brushing and coat trimming :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My daughter's cat Pebbles like's to meow outside my bedroom door, because she just know's mum will eventually get up, and then I get lots of greeting chirping, patting me with her paws, licking my hands,I do try to ignore her, but for some reason I can't :cat: :angelic: o_O
What breed are they? I bet they need lots of brushing and coat trimming :)
We have three of them. They have the posh breed names of "Domestic Long Hair" and "Domestic Short Hair", or "Moggie". The long haired one hates being groomed and has to be done in a cat muzzle or she bites your hand while you are trying to do it. Given what her mother was like, we think she's a Maine Coon cross.