Just had my first year appointment

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well as the title says I have been diagnosed a year and just had my yearly check up

HbA1c is down to 33 mmol/mol and this is with all the carbs.

Shame about my trigs which are at 1.3 mmol/l and my HDL is only 1.13 mmol/l with my total is 6.2 mmol/mol.
Need to work on those trigs and LDL levels now. My intention is to cut out a lot of the fruit I have been eating and to push another 1/2 stone in weight and see where that gets me.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

So all in all a mixed bag of results.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Suggestions? No sorry, I just want to congratulate you on your results. Whilst the trigs aren't perfect, they aren't awful either. Let us know when you find the answer though :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Suggestions? No sorry, I just want to congratulate you on your results. Whilst the trigs aren't perfect, they aren't awful either. Let us know when you find the answer though :)
will do. I will probably buy a cholesterol testing meter that does trigs as well and see what I get once a month. I know that losing weight naturally raises your LDL so it could be this as I am in a weight lose state at the moment

Thanks for the congratulations

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
will do. I will probably buy a cholesterol testing meter that does trigs as well and see what I get once a month. I know that losing weight naturally raises your LDL so it could be this as I am in a weight lose state at the moment

Thanks for the congratulations

Well done Andrew.
People would kill for figures like these, so don't be too hard on yourself. You have done so well, and don't forget you also had surgery not so long ago.

Also, you have inspired others, including me, (who is coming up to 10 years since T2 diagnosis) who are striving to do as well.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely fabulous Andrew. We,and I probably speak for the whole wide diabetic world here, are very impressed/jealous/envious/thrilled/in awe* (* Delete as appropriate) of how you've gone about things, and what you've achieved.

The only thing I might want to think about would be getting the Trigs down a tiny bit. But, only a tiny bit really. Have you watched the excellent Prof Sikaris YouTube video Jack found?

It's excellent, but maybe suggests a tweak in the carb ratios?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Andrew. Your HbA1c is magnificent, especially considering your diet. Has your HCP mentioned taking you off the diabetic register at all in the future?

I think a cholesterol/trig meter is a good idea. I'm considering one myself, for my husband rather than for me as I'm trying to persuade him he doesn't need the statins he is taking. My cholesterol and lipids improve at every test on lchf.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on those results and best seasonal wishes

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thanks @Pipp
Absolutely fabulous Andrew. We,and I probably speak for the whole wide diabetic world here, are very impressed/jealous/envious/thrilled/in awe* (* Delete as appropriate) of how you've gone about things, and what you've achieved.

The only thing I might want to think about would be getting the Trigs down a tiny bit. But, only a tiny bit really. Have you watched the excellent Prof Sikaris YouTube video Jack found?

It's excellent, but maybe suggests a tweak in the carb ratios?
Yes @AndBreathe I have watched this excellent video but have just rewatched it. I picked up another piece of information from it this time and that is my trig of 1.3 isn't actually that bad and is probably caused by the fructose from the fruits. With the other carbs I eat these will be going straight into fat cells except of course I am dropping weight again at the moment so probably will be being burnt up.

@Bluetit1802 I have spoken to the DN and they like to see 3 years of normal results to rule out deterioration or LADA (prof Taylor recommends 4 years in his leaflets); 2 more to go.

Thanks @pavlosn

and a Happy Christmas to you all

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done Andrew. Great figures!
It probably is the fruit that is keeping your lipids up.
As you do reduce your carbs more they will gradually come down.
Have a good Christmas mate and celebrate!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results. Like others have said, maybe reduce the carbs slightly, especially the fruit.. I know we are conditioned to think of it as healthy, but really it's not. My friend knew someone involved in the five a day campaign and she said that really they wanted to go for 10 a day only one of which should be fruit so you can see that getting much of our five a day from fruit isn't ideal. Also overheard someone talking about her visit to dentist and how the dentist said that since introduction of five a day, seeing loads more tooth decay and enamel damage because of fruit. So maybe try sticks of celery instead with your carrot batons and slices of raw peppers.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Great work Andrew :)

Mikie

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done Andrew, You are one of the lucky ones to reversed your condition with the weight loss. Congrats!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Andrew, your Trigs and HDL are both within range although your Total is above what they recommend, however here are the target cholesterol levels they want people with diabetes to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.