Type1 + Levothyroxine

Tyronnster

Hi

Been Type1 since April 2014 an am basal bolus

In Nov 2014 was also diagnosed as border line under active thyroid an was prescribed levothyroxine 50mg daily.

But since taking the tablets I've no appetite. Really bad the other day I had a bowl of cereal an day before a slice of toast.

Is this common
Checked the instructions of tablets but nothing mentioned

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I use levothyroxine too .
They don't do this with me .
Not a common or well known side effect on leaflet .

Are you feeling nauseous at all ? or
Starting with a cold or bug possible ?
Hence the lack of appetite .

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyronnster

Hi Thanx for replying. I'm feeling OK which is odd. See I'm not fat but have a very good appetite.

Because I'm border line under active thyroid I'm unsure if the 50mg is too much so going to go back to the doctors an discuss it.

PS appreciate the reply

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep - best to discuss this further with your GP .
They can advise you accordingly .

P.S Happy Christmas

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Thanx for replying. I'm feeling OK which is odd. See I'm not fat but have a very good appetite.

Because I'm border line under active thyroid I'm unsure if the 50mg is too much so going to go back to the doctors an discuss it.

PS appreciate the reply

That sounds a high dose for someone that's border line. I've been on it for 8 years started with 25mg for a couple of years, then was on 50mg for 3 year then went up to 75 mg never had any problems with them.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Been hypothyroid since 1985 .
Diagnosed straight after my one and only pregnancy .
My thyroid failed to re-regulate itself back after the pregnancy .
Autoimmune damage I was told .

Am on 200mg daily dosage now .
It has been a gradual increment on my dosage over many years .

Thyroid issues can be linked with Diabetes .

Noddy123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetic consultant also treated me for thyroid. Was over active now under,this was in 2006. Then in feb 2011 was admitted to hosp with type 1. I am now on 100mcg levothyroxine.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there.

I am also type 1 and have been on levothyroxine since a thyroidectomy a few years back.

If you are experiencing a loss of appetite it is worth getting checked out at your doctors to rule out any other complications.

Bearing in mind it can take from 2-6 weeks for the thyroxine to start kicking in and working so this may be a cause.

The fact that you mentioned you were borderline under active suggests this could be a large factor (I was overactive before my op and I had the appetite of a bull!) so putting two and two together, this seems logical.

In any case, you seem to know what to do and going to get checked out is a good start.

All the best. Scott.

JeanieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Been Type1 since April 2014 an am basal bolus

In Nov 2014 was also diagnosed as border line under active thyroid an was prescribed levothyroxine 50mg daily.

But since taking the tablets I've no appetite. Really bad the other day I had a bowl of cereal an day before a slice of toast.

Is this common
Checked the instructions of tablets but nothing mentioned

Hi there

It looks like this was a few months ago so hope you got things sorted.

I've been type 1 since 1978 and on levothyroxine since 1999. Was on a stable dose of 150 until two months ago when it all went haywire again. Am now on 200 per day but recent blood test for pre-op assessment still shows that it's abnormal. Only tested 2 months after increasing so still a chance it hasn't settled down properly yet.

I had a few phases during the early years of taking thyroxine where I would find it difficult to eat - was like something had switched in my brain telling me I didn't need food .... Would last about five weeks but I felt fantastic surviving on the equivalent of one sausage per day!

I suspect there were other factors (high stress) that also contributed to this, however it's not happened again for a number of years now despite times of stress again.

When levels are good my diabetes control is much better too :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have taken levothyroxine since I was 26 year old...was on very high dose them days but now take 1 tab a day....can not say it has ever made me not hungry