What vegetables are best / worst for sugars?

laroc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just when we think we have got a hang of this whole diabetes thing hubbys sugars have a wobble, now I am questioning the whole right / wrong vegetables thing :confused: is there a vegetable that is best avoided ? peas for instance? We have been trying to keep potatoes down to a minimum and upping the vegetables are we overdoing it?
Any advice would be much appreciated:)
Many thanks
Carol

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Someone mentioned recently on the forum somewhere that vegetables that grow above ground are good and most of them from below ground are generally best avoided on the old blood glucose front

Reactions: 6 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac is a good substitute for potatoes and can be served in most ways that potatoes can ,also cauliflower is very versatile I have it instead of spaghetti in Bolognese
CAROL

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starchy vegetables are the ones to avoid and these are mainly root vegetables (e.g. potatoes, parsnips, carrots), and the best low carb ones tend to be things like leafy greens ( e.g cabbage, spinach, salad leaves, or kale - which I can't abide!), asparagus, broccoli, courgettes, cauliflower, cucumber, celery, mushrooms... to name a few!

There a a lot of online resources which can help you check,for example: here, and you can also look at our own Viv's Modified Aktins Diet which provides a list.

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

laroc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Starchy vegetables are the ones to avoid and these are mainly root vegetables (e.g. potatoes, parsnips, carrots), and the best low carb ones tend to be things like leafy greens ( e.g cabbage, spinach, salad leaves, or kale - which I can't abide!), asparagus, broccoli, courgettes, cauliflower, cucumber, celery, mushrooms... to name a few!

There a a lot of online resources which can help you check,for example: here, and you can also look at our own Viv's Modified Aktins Diet which provides a list.

Robbity
Brilliant, thank you all for the imput, we have recently discovered celariac but normally have it mashed with some swede, I never thought of using it in place of potato :) we like broccoli and cauliflower so thats good to. Lots of information to absorb so thank you all once again.
Carol

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started to use "Jorskokk" (Norwegian name), to replace potatoes. There are lots of fiber in them. Fiber is good for diabetics. In case they sell them at your place, I have used google translater to translate the first part of a Norwegian article for you. " Artishoke" is not correct translated at google. The best will be if you click the Norwegian link to see a picture of the vegetable. There must be an English word for it.

http://www.matoppskrift.no/artikkel/Helsefokus-paa-jordskokk#axzz3N4qBdoni

Here is the google-translation.

"Artichoke is a good option for people with diabetes and may be heading back into Norwegian diet. Consumers are more concerned ingredients and quality, and would like to have a larger width in the supply of vegetables. Thus it may go the way of the kitchen the old culture plant artichoke, which was ousted by the potato 300 years ago.

For artichoke still exists. The whole 40 varieties collected from all over the country, and the Planteforsk his department Landvik working researcher Randi Seljåsen find suitable varieties for the Norwegian climate. The collection has been organized by the Nordic Gene Bank and the Norwegian variants will be tested together with imported clones. The aim is to arrive at appropriate varieties for cultivation in Norway.

Today imported mostly from France and Seljåsen leader several projects with artichoke. In addition to black testing and cultivation technique, the researchers also ingredients in the different cultivars. Jerusalem artichoke contains inulin as a storage carbohydrate in place of starch. It makes this vegetable an especially good option for people with diabetes.

Read more at matoppskrift.no: http://www.matoppskrift.no/artikkel/Helsefokus-paa-jordskokk#ixzz3N4r8KzKy"

Good luck!

PS. The article says nothing about "Jerusalem" (I made it blue color). Google translater has failed. The correct translation shall be: "Jordskokk" contains inulin (not insulin ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Yes, definitely Jerusalem Artichokes, I can't abide them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started to use "Jorskokk" (Norwegian name), to replace potatoes. There are lots of fiber in them. Fiber is good for diabetics. In case they sell them at your place, I have used google translater to translate the first part of a Norwegian article for you. " Artishoke" is not correct translated at google. The best will be if you click the Norwegian link to see a picture of the vegetable. There must be an English word for it.

http://www.matoppskrift.no/artikkel/Helsefokus-paa-jordskokk#axzz3N4qBdoni

Here is the google-translation.

"Artichoke is a good option for people with diabetes and may be heading back into Norwegian diet. Consumers are more concerned ingredients and quality, and would like to have a larger width in the supply of vegetables. Thus it may go the way of the kitchen the old culture plant artichoke, which was ousted by the potato 300 years ago.

For artichoke still exists. The whole 40 varieties collected from all over the country, and the Planteforsk his department Landvik working researcher Randi Seljåsen find suitable varieties for the Norwegian climate. The collection has been organized by the Nordic Gene Bank and the Norwegian variants will be tested together with imported clones. The aim is to arrive at appropriate varieties for cultivation in Norway.

Today imported mostly from France and Seljåsen leader several projects with artichoke. In addition to black testing and cultivation technique, the researchers also ingredients in the different cultivars. Jerusalem artichoke contains inulin as a storage carbohydrate in place of starch. It makes this vegetable an especially good option for people with diabetes.

Read more at matoppskrift.no: http://www.matoppskrift.no/artikkel/Helsefokus-paa-jordskokk#ixzz3N4r8KzKy"

Good luck!

PS. The article says nothing about "Jerusalem" (I made it blue color). Google translater has failed. The correct translation shall be: "Jordskokk" contains inulin (not insulin ).

thank you! i will give Jerusalem artichokes a try, and see what they do to my bg.
im not great with any of the root veg, even swedes and carrots :( so will hope that this one is better :)

Reactions: 2 people

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The "Jordskoks" might cook around 6 minutes if they are small.
upload_2014-12-27_14-9-18.jpeg

If they are bigger, 7 to 8 minutes.
cf8681d8ef.jpg

They will not be well cooked then, but partly raw. I like that consistence best. You have to try how you like them best. They tastes almost like nuts. Hope you like them because in addition to positive influence on the blood sugar they are also full of vitamins, but not so much vitamin C as potatoes. I used 2 or 3 days to get used to them. By the way I have found out that "Jerusalem artichoke" is the righ tEnglish translation. I thought that artichoke was green.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac is a good substitute for potatoes and can be served in most ways that potatoes can ,also cauliflower is very versatile I have it instead of spaghetti in Bolognese
CAROL
Thank you for tis good idea! I have never tought of Celeriac at that way. I mostly use Jerusalem artichoke or broccoly instead of potatoes. It is good to have alterntives to use. :)

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
thank you! i will give Jerusalem artichokes a try, and see what they do to my bg.
im not great with any of the root veg, even swedes and carrots :( so will hope that this one is better :)
Well, give them a try, they are quite nice. But beware, I encountered a rather unexpected side effect best described as rather bad flatulence ... :( - So never serve them to unsuspecting guests ... ;) (of course unless you have an ulterior motive ...)

annelise

Reactions: 4 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
In Swedish LCHF recipes potatoes are sometimes replaced with daikon/muli, hard to find in UK super markets, seems more available in Scandinavia. I've found some in Asian shops. It's recommended to pre-boiled and then it can be used in gratin.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've also found that Jerusalem artichokes seem to require only slightly less insulin than potatoes so I'm not sure how they'd help much in lchf.