I need help for my dad

Lulu33

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I need help for my dad, he was type 2 and is now type 1 he has stopped taking insulin about 8 weeks ago, and has developed skin abscesses they are very inflamed and green, he has gone to the doctor about his skin but not convinced he has told them anything else. I am at a loss of what to do as he thinks he can get rid of this himself by using herbal products!
His sight is effected and he doesn't eat for days but survives from eating and drinking sugar such as energy drinks.
He has had this for years, can anyone tell me how sever he is and what I should be looking out for?
Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is really nothing you can do. only encourage him to see his Dr. and take his meds. Your Dad has seemed to have made his mind up..personal choice and all that, regardless how silly.
I would tell his Dr what is going on, although he may know already. I'm in australia but there may be some help for him available through the Dr.
He should be on meat and veg etc..sugar drinks are the worst for him. but he should know this from being T2

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agree with Jack. He needs some help and the sooner the better ..... Get him to go back and see a medical professional please ... both for his sake and yours

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Lulu33, Really sorry to hear that your Dad has decided that there are alternatives to his insulin.

I agree with Jack & Mike above, somehow you have to convince him to be treated by the doctors as clearly things will just get worse.

What about you attending the doctors with him, but failing that, you have to tell the Doctors somehow what is actually going on.

Neil

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I'm so sorry you and your father are in this situation.
Please let your father's doctor know what is going on, what your father is doing, and what herbal treatments he is taking.
You can do this by ringing the surgery and asking the doctor to call you back, or by writing a letter to his doctor.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your father, some times people give up on life.. If he IS trying herbal meds he's not completely given up. Gentle talks about how wise this new route of meds is not work may help and could you get him to visit these forums .. He may need support from people that have first hand experience of T1 and T2 diabites.. We are here .. Sometimes being diabetic can feel a very uncontrollable condition, but it should not be like that ...
Hope he get help soon

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Lulu33. Are there other members of your family that are aware of your dads issues.
@Enclave is right with regard to your dad not completely giving up.
Is there anything else or other issue that your dad is upset about, which is causing him to take this wobbly route.
Best of luck with your efforts to help your dad get back in control.

Lulu33

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, I have called his doctor and they said that if he did not concent to someone being with him or talking about it he can't really tell me anything. Really frustrating when your worried about someone so close. I will keep trying .. I just think all this stuff you get on the internet can be doing more damage than good. Thanks again

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you for contacting the doc.

Unfortunately, doctors can't discuss their patients, even with family members, without permission from the patient. Because doctors are bound by doctor-patient confidentiality.

But the doctor can listen to your concerns, and pick up information from you.
If you know the herbs and treatments that your father is using, then you can tell the doctor. Then that information may help when he next sees your father.

It's very frustrating, but worth having another go.
Maybe tell the receptionist that you have information that the doctor needs to know.

Hope that helps.