Alcoholism and type 1 diabetes

c0rdel1a

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I am a 73 year old woman married to a 60 year old type 1 diabetic, and although I have been trying to deny it to myself for years, he is an unrepentant alcoholic.
We returned from a fortnight's holiday a week ago, and 2 days ago when I checked to see if he had emptied his case, I found It was full of empty wine boxes - I couldn't face counting them. The terrible tempers and awful silliness that I thought was due to the illness and was really sympathetic about were already making him impossible to live with. I know I should have left him years ago, but I have no family and live out in the country. He has refused point blank several times to go to the doctors' (I have told them about him and they have warned me to go to the Police if he ever gets physically violent - he hasn't so far, but threatened me with his fist yesterday). There is so much more to say, but this is probably enough for now.

Reactions: 4 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi C0rdel1a. I am so sorry to read of your circumstances. The people on this board may be able to help give you advice on diabetes however, if you are in an abusive relationship - that has to be tacked separately.

Please contact the following freephone number if you feel you need advice and support in that area

24-hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline

0808 2000 247

We can help support you by listening to you here but the above helpline will be able to advise you of your rights and may be able to give you some good pointers to help yourself.

Take care.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi - I am a 73 year old woman married to a 60 year old type 1 diabetic, and although I have been trying to deny it to myself for years, he is an unrepentant alcoholic.
We returned from a fortnight's holiday a week ago, and 2 days ago when I checked to see if he had emptied his case, I found It was full of empty wine boxes - I couldn't face counting them. The terrible tempers and awful silliness that I thought was due to the illness and was really sympathetic about were already making him impossible to live with. I know I should have left him years ago, but I have no family and live out in the country. He has refused point blank several times to go to the doctors' (I have told them about him and they have warned me to go to the Police if he ever gets physically violent - he hasn't so far, but threatened me with his fist yesterday). There is so much more to say, but this is probably enough for now.

Hello, oh I'm so sorry to hear of your relationship problems.
1) You could stay and try to help ? probably not though by the sounds of it
2) Leave, honestly there are places you can go to for help and support, a relative or friend.
3) Suffer in silence and put up with it > I hope you wont

If someone raises their fist to you, then it's once too much. Please do something to get yourself out of the situation you are in, consider your age as well, 73 is certainly not an age to be putting up with behaviour like that ( actually at any age).

If something is making you more unhappy than happy, you can change it. You have the power to do it, if you really put your mind to it, remember it's the unknown that's the scariest.
I hope you have the strength to make something happen with a positive outcome.

Please take care, best wishes and stay safe.

RRB x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Life is far too short to spend all your time being miserable, worried, even frightened. There must be something better than this for you, so for your own sake, look for it and follow it. Cut your ties with this man is my advice, before it is too late. I hope the future is brighter for you.

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
I am also sorry to hear of your problems,I am your age and no way would I put up with threats.
I agree with every thing that Robinredbreast says.
Also the helpline you have been given.I cant add more to that.
Best wishes and be strong.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, All I can add is a virtual hug for you and hope things get better very very soon .

Please take heed of the advice given on here by others.

Take care

Reactions: 8 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
I'm sorry for your troubles, when you love someone it's hard to break away even when it looks like all trust and hope has gone. There is help out there alcoholics need help and so does their families .
I hope you stay safe and stay strong.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@c0rdel1a, how are you today? Hope all is okay with you ?

Take care and best wishes RRB x

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He can only help himself. This alcohol is a addiction which many know from experience results in many bruises outside and inside.
Please take @Robinredbreast's advice.
If you go the "( 3) Suffer in silence and put up with it > I hope you wont". Ensure he cleans up all his own evidence of bottles & mess etc; so he can see then seek help himself.
By him showing fist to you, says Warning Get Help Now.
Hope you make a choice that ends up making you happy at long last.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Hi C0rdel1a, you've only done the one post since yesterday, maybe you just wanted to get it off your chest.....I do hope you're reading the reply posts, I'm not sure what any of us can do to help but you will find there's a lot of support in here, its helped me and many others.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
I've been thinking about you. I hope you had a good Christmas
Best wishes for the new year.

Reactions: 2 people

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
I've been thinking about you. I hope you had a good Christmas
Best wishes for the new year.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all victims of alcoholism...Seen too many lives destroyed by this disease....People who are violent and aggressive when drunk are sometimes (not all the time) the nicest, friendliest people when sober....Very sad!:(

Reactions: 9 people

Legslip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May sound strange but have you tried writing a letter to him? List every problem, your feelings and fears and urge him to make a change. Seeing it in black and white may make him see sense where spoken words do not. Good luck!